Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 09:58 PM

6,031 posts, read 5,940,768 times

Advertisements

Thing is while I suppose passing the cheap get away test for Aussies, Bali could well prove a bit of a disappointment for folks coming further afield. Some, and I know of some, from Europe who had an ideal exotic location in mind and refused to belief otherwise. End result ranged from disappointment to average okay to still finding it 'different' and okay. A lot seem surprised for some reason at the Aussie presence being so dominant and in a few cases some had their first experience of Bogans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 10:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,883,280 times
No different to going to Thailand expecting to find paradise and instead you just find overweight middle aged Europeans who are there to slay 19 year old hookers.

Conclusion: Anywhere cheap and sunny will attract hordes of tourists, of all shapes, sizes and socioeconomic status.

Last edited by BCC_1; 07-05-2019 at 10:25 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
No different to going to Thailand expecting to find paradise and instead you just find overweight middle aged Europeans who are there to slay 19 year old hookers.

Conclusion: Anywhere cheap and sunny will attract hordes of tourists, of all shapes, sizes and socioeconomic status.
Beg to differ on a few fronts. Firstly there are still places to go in Thailand where few tourists roam. Just as there is, only more so in Indonesia , just not quite as readily so in Bali. Not saying it is impossible to find, just fewer places.

Secondly, it is not only anywhere cheap that will attract hordes of tourists, try Paris most the year but in August especially. 17 Million tourists a year visit Amsterdam. Venice most anytime of year, but summer insufferable as is much of Europe for various reasons but hardly cheapness being one of them.

It largely depends on brand and quality of product or how it is promoted and at whom. Still parts of Asia cheap like Borneo not over run with tourist hordes, as well as places like Selawesi and various Indonesian islands that are well off the tourist trail.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post

Secondly, it is not only anywhere cheap that will attract hordes of tourists, try Paris most the year but in August especially. 17 Million tourists a year visit Amsterdam. Venice most anytime of year, but summer insufferable as is much of Europe for various reasons but hardly cheapness being one of them.
Forgive me if I think the sort of punter heading to Paris isn't the same as the punter heading to Thailand.

Maybe I should have said, cheap, sunny and with beaches. Europe is full of awful places filled with Eurotrash on a beach holiday.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
there is literally nothing interesting in Bali.

in fact, all the beaches in the entire island suck (australia itself has better beaches). why would anyone go there? (serious question)

have you ever been to Hawaii?
Bali didn't used to suck before all of Australia and half of Europe showed up.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Forgive me if I think the sort of punter heading to Paris isn't the same as the punter heading to Thailand.

Maybe I should have said, cheap, sunny and with beaches. Europe is full of awful places filled with Eurotrash on a beach holiday.
Well if it is numbers we are talking about Paris as a former resident, Paris is up there especially in summer. Far from all displaying decorum and class. Although Amsterdam I always found attracted a less savoury element, especially among Brits who for some reason tend to lose the plot too readily when let off the leash.
So termed Eurotrash can be clocked in numbers in places like Corfu and certain Spanish locations were in the past at least, the youth of several nations played out their antics sometimes against each other (tribes) No idea if still a part of the scene. One hopes the next generation has evolved.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:00 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
She probably has never been to the Carribean or Mexico...

Places like Fiji and Vanuatu are actually pretty pleasant. Vietnam and Malaysia also have a lot to offer tourists.
Well whatever else you can say about Mexico and the Caribbean there are dozens of beautiful, interesting, and colorful towns and cities, as well as superlative beaches. Not to mention a history that still shows itself! Can't say that about Bali or Fiji except for some beaches. Australia has many beautiful beaches as well, for my money, far better than Bali's.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Well whatever else you can say about Mexico and the Caribbean there are dozens of beautiful, interesting, and colorful towns and cities, as well as superlative beaches. Not to mention a history that still shows itself! Can't say that about Bali or Fiji except for some beaches. Australia has many beautiful beaches as well, for my money, far better than Bali's.
Australia has far better beaches. Many an Asian beach will be a tad disappointing in comparison. Thing being Australia is way, way more expensive . Just small things add up to make it a rather expensive, to say the least holiday. Unless of course one attempts to cut costs by going down the backpacker route. That would be to buy a cheap van, camp out, free areas where possible, do own cooking rather than eating out very often which is expensive. All doable but not to everybody's liking.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But we would need to go back in time to recapture the' true vibe'. like before or shortly after the war and into the fifties probably up to mid late sixties. Aussie surfers and hippy types brought a change in the seventies. Mellow vibe though it likely mostly was, but in doing so popularised the island to such an extent that the Indonesian government focused on Bali as a tourist centre in that country almost solo. The fact it being non Muslim probably encouraged things as tourism would not have such an impact on Hindu life.
Interesting Lombok, (nearby island)in recent times has began to take off (Bali thirty years ago?) being a Muslim location.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour
Although Amsterdam I always found attracted a less savoury element, especially among Brits who for some reason tend to lose the plot too readily when let off the leash.
The accessibility to drugs probably explains a lot of the Amsterdam crowd. Not many stag do's end up in Paris. Eastern Europe and coastal Spain seem to be the most popular destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Too true. My old man used to go there in the 70s. Then didn't go back until 2005 and hated it. It's a soulless place built for tourists. Unfortunately, a lot of SE Asia is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand