Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 09:40 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,437,820 times

Advertisements

I actually found Bali more appealing then Phuket, the other big tourist destination of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 10:35 PM

5,882 posts, read 5,806,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I actually found Bali more appealing then Phuket, the other big tourist destination of the region.

Quite possibly because Phuket is in greater doses a ghastly place to visit. Thailand on the other hand, offers many alternatives but for the height of ghastliness visit Pataya. That way Phuket in comparison will likely feel the right side of paradise.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:30 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,849,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
When i was in Bali, and lazing around the pool we struck up a conversation with a lovely Australian family. And suddenly the wife exclaimed, "you don't know how lucky you are in the U.S. having near at end such travel attractions as Canada, Mexico, South America, the Caribbean, and even Europe. What have we got near Australia? Fiji! New Guinea! Bali!. There may be something here to consider.
She forgot the entire Southeast Asia and New Zealand.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:58 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,437,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Quite possibly because Phuket is in greater doses a ghastly place to visit. Thailand on the other hand, offers many alternatives but for the height of ghastliness visit Pataya. That way Phuket in comparison will likely feel the right side of paradise.
I've actually never been to Pattaya. I did enjoy Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ayutaya.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 PM

3,600 posts, read 1,623,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
there is literally nothing interesting in Bali.

in fact, all the beaches in the entire island suck (australia itself has better beaches). why would anyone go there? (serious question)

have you ever been to Hawaii?

You are obviously not a surfer...it has some of the BEST SURF IN THE WORLD!!!

Old 07-07-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
You are obviously not a surfer...it has some of the BEST SURF IN THE WORLD!!!
I would suggest there are better places in Indonesia. Nias comes to mind when travelling through Indonesia some decades back, surfers came into contact with where heading there. Bali was judged okay but some of the best surf in the world? Probably not. Bali beaches for novice Europeans especially can prove dangerous. (Thai as well) I witnessed a near drowning at Legion Beach (part of main beach) on first visit. The seas were nothing short than treacherous and luckily for the Belgian fellow (as it turned out) a young Balinese guy on a board managed to finally get through the waves and bring him to shore. Many hundreds watching but no other help offered. Probably due to being too dangerous.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I've actually never been to Pattaya. I did enjoy Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ayutaya.
Except traffic grid lock more than a little frustrating in Bangkok. Mixed feelings on that city. Been to Thailand many times, but for some reason have never made it to Chiang Mai. (a favourite though for western retirees)

Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 PM

2,849 posts, read 1,243,352 times
Bali is to Australians what Benidorm or Magaluf is to Brits. Mostly young people trying to let loose. The only thing i don't understand is the climate is no better in Bali than most of Australia so seems like a strange place to go. At least when Europeans go on holiday the climate is a big part of it

Old 10-23-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Bali is to Australians what Benidorm or Magaluf is to Brits. Mostly young people trying to let loose. The only thing i don't understand is the climate is no better in Bali than most of Australia so seems like a strange place to go. At least when Europeans go on holiday the climate is a big part of it
Try cost. OZ is an expensive place to holiday. Rules galore as well. Bali is easy to realise the inner Bogan and behave however you want and do pretty much what you want. Gives the feeling of being abroad but familiar as well, with wall to wall country men whopping it up.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:20 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,267,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Try cost. OZ is an expensive place to holiday. Rules galore as well. Bali is easy to realise the inner Bogan and behave however you want and do pretty much what you want. Gives the feeling of being abroad but familiar as well, with wall to wall country men whopping it up.
Yes, DD headed to Bali when she had finished the HSC because she was still seventeen and below the drinking age here. I assume they do not, or did not, have a drinking age there. I really did not want to know what she got up to in Bali. She has never returned to Bali , later on she enjoyed Sabah much more, as we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand