Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:26 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Really, without grammar your posts are unreadable. But I'd love to see you buy a week's worth of veggies for $30 in the US. No frozen, not all carrots, and feeding all four people at home every day.
Food is cheaper in US WildColonialGirl.

Don't resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:17 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Food is cheaper in US WildColonialGirl.

Don't resist.
You may want it to be true. You may live on a diet of coke and TV dinners and therefore think that's what normal people do, but no, the facts are that normal food is way way cheaper in Australia. It just is.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:39 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Quote:
You may want it to be true. You may live on a diet of coke and TV dinners and therefore think that's what normal people do, but no, the facts are that normal food is way way cheaper in Australia. It just is.
You see this?

Cost Of Living Comparison Between Australia And United States

I mean everything is expensive.

p.s. a pack of cigarette costs $25

This is against human rights you know

Old 06-23-2016, 01:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Bosshog, could you please use conventional grammar and punctuation? It's painful to try and read with those crazy ellipsis/comma hybrid things.

You shouldn't be drinking soft drinks and gatoraid, so yes, it's right to tax them. It helps everyone have a better diet, and raises money. Same reasoning behind taxing cigarettes and alcohol heavily.

For a start, you obviously haven't clued in to buying locally popular foods for a better deal. Turkey is a seasonal food in Australia, don't attempt to buy it every week. There isn't the market. Also, comparing Maggi 2 min noodles to the junky base level ramen is dishonest.

Secondly, your supposed comparison of chicken neglects the exchange rate. It also neglects taste and animal welfare. That "cheap" chicken in the US tastes like polystyrene and is raised in an unsustainable system of indebted farmers and minimum wage workers. For the 20 cents per pound difference (assuming 1:1 exchange rate) the Australian product is doing amazingly well. I actually think you were surprised yourself at how close those two prices were. It's hard to remember a kilo is 2.2, not 2 pounds, isn't it? My first supermarket trip in the US, I just bought whatever because the prices looked low. Until I saw the $80 price tag for fruit and veg. And then, of course you discover that even carefully watching the price you'll never have that experience you have in Australia of walking into the fruit and veg shop with $30 and walking out with a week's worth of food.

I notice you include mostly processed food in your comparison. How about comparing real food, a real shopping list of bread, fruit and veg and dairy. Cheese, for example...

The problem with claiming economies of scale for food is that with a very limited growing area in the US and a massive population to feed, the US is forced to move food massive distances to supply people, and that's expensive. No matter how much asparagus or grapes you squeeze into a plane from Chile it's still going to have to sell for enough to cover the cost of the fuel. In Australia the climate is more conducive to growing, so transport costs are way lower and the number of mouths to feed is lower.
I'll vouch for that. When I'm in the US I ONLY buy organic chicken. The regular stuff is plain weird tasting and has a rubbery texture. It's gross.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:31 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
To really be considered to be a superpower, wouldn't the population have to increase by a large amount?

China - 1.37 billion
United States - 323.83 million
Russia - 146.60 million
Australia - 24.10 million

Old 06-23-2016, 02:33 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:

Cigarette packs are also covered front, back and sides with pretty graphic health warnings and cannot be on open display in any retail outlet. Further, tobacco products cannot be advertised and smoking is banned in all public buildings and some outdoor spaces. And over the last few decades rates of smoking and the incidence of tobacco related health issues have steadily and sharply declined. Do you see the the connection?

Old 06-23-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'll vouch for that. When I'm in the US I ONLY buy organic chicken. The regular stuff is plain weird tasting and has a rubbery texture. It's gross.
oooh, oh, you don't have to buy organic! Look for air-processed chicken. There are several national brands. You do have to go organic for the milk, though.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You see this?

Notice that info at this link shows prices for all groceries except milk are higher in the Us.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:12 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:
You see this?

Did you look at the salary and local purchasing power numbers as well?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:44 PM

126 posts, read 150,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
+1

For example a big city like Atlanta...lots of opportunities for low and mid-level work and you can buy a house for less than 100K.....in Australia??
exactly. if you want less than 100k in oz, you have to be looking at a run down piece in the middle of bfe - services next to none..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Interestingly, Australia has a higher homeownership rate than the United States. Homelessness is also less prevalent.
usa has more unemployed people than Australia has citizens.. the state of texas has more people than australia does in a country roughly the size of the lower 48 states.

this wildcolonialchick seems to always be pro aus and anti murica... either she is an aussie in the usa and is home sick or an american living in some high col city/state and is just hating life..

both countries have their pros and cons, but i can step back and at least be neutral about it. my biggest issue with Australia is the cost of living, its just how it is.......you deal with it..

rather than complain, we decided to combat food costs here.. we started producing some of our own food indoors and out.. i grow high cost chemical free crops (spinach, kale, asparagus, fancy lettuces, pumpkins aka squash in oz, blueberries, lemons, herbs etc etc etc) and we breed and raise trout. we might try some barramundi in the future.. they are known to eat their young so our system will have to differ some..

i even set up a low cost LED system for the garage and sun room to expand on grow area.. we save thousands a year by growing our own food. we actually have surplus and sale some here and there.. if we maximize our grow areas we could probably make several grand a year... this is on roughly 1/6 of an acre btw.

we still buy veg though... generally the cheaper stuff like onions and carrots.. we rather use that space for more expensive crops

anyway..

cheers Y'ALL

Last edited by bossh0g; 06-23-2016 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand