Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 03:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
Possibly not the best outline of Australian agriculturalist industry: The Murry River runs From West to East in the top end of Victoria. Apart from wine there is the Sunraisia products, but little else of vegetation. Some cattle and sheep farming is being conducted there on a small scale.
"As of 2010, the Murray River system receives 58 percent of its natural flow.[3] It is perhaps Australia's most important irrigated region, and it is widely known as the food bowl of the nation"

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 03:42 PM

757 posts, read 837,734 times
Loved working along side the Aussies in Vietnam. Great allies.

My only "problem" with Australia is it seems to have some of the most venomous snakes in the world and a really nasty spider.

The "fear" I have for Australia is that the USA will cease providing a defense shield. Were a Chinese fleet to show up at Perth or Sydney, then the Aussies will be in big trouble. I know, it can never happen because countries do not build empires as they did in the distant past----1938.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post

My only "problem" with Australia is it seems to have some of the most venomous snakes in the world and a really nasty spider.

The "fear" I have for Australia is that the USA will cease providing a defense shield. Were a Chinese fleet to show up at Perth or Sydney, then the Aussies will be in big trouble. I know, it can never happen because countries do not build empires as they did in the distant past----1938.
We have plenty of venomous snakes here in the USA. I live in Texas and I see rattlesnakes when I'm out and about hiking many times. We have nasty spiders here too, a brown recluse bit a friend and he had to have the finger amputated in the hospital.

Australia tends to act like it is the only wilderness but the USA has a lot of creepy stuff too. They are just not in New York or LA.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:

I've heard stories from Vietnam Vets, on their time there, with Americans. Its returned sentiments

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
We have plenty of venomous snakes here in the USA. I live in Texas and I see rattlesnakes when I'm out and about hiking many times. We have nasty spiders here too, a brown recluse bit a friend and he had to have the finger amputated in the hospital.

Australia tends to act like it is the only wilderness but the USA has a lot of creepy stuff too. They are just not in New York or LA.
Actually, we don't act like that. People like to think that.
Although, yeah - red back spiders, sydney funnel web, eastern brown snakes -are all found in built up areas.

Something like this, kinda adds to the notion

Old 09-08-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:

The Chinese are smarter than that, they know that would start World War III.

Instead, look for China's continued expansion into the south China seas and stronger economic ties to Darwin. Already there is a big Chinese development in Darwin. Remember, China took over its western deserts by overwhelming them with people, like putting million person cities there and the locals were no longer in the majority and now the region was "Chinese". It's the same way American took over the West. Tons and tons of immigrants from Europe were pouring in and they went west into Indian Country, where they simply overwhelmed the local population in numbers.

The problem is that northern Australia in general is so sparsely populated while the countries north of it are so highly populated that "somethings gotta give" at some point. There is just too much land in Australia and not enough in: Indonesia, Philippines, New Guinea, that at some point the inevitable happens.

That is why the focus must be on populating Darwin, and quickly.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:41 AM

Assuming that the "critters" can be addressed I think even the Outback has lots of potential for development.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:31 PM

605 posts, read 669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The Chinese are smarter than that, they know that would start World War III.

Instead, look for China's continued expansion into the south China seas and stronger economic ties to Darwin. Already there is a big Chinese development in Darwin. Remember, China took over its western deserts by overwhelming them with people, like putting million person cities there and the locals were no longer in the majority and now the region was "Chinese". It's the same way American took over the West. Tons and tons of immigrants from Europe were pouring in and they went west into Indian Country, where they simply overwhelmed the local population in numbers.

The problem is that northern Australia in general is so sparsely populated while the countries north of it are so highly populated that "somethings gotta give" at some point. There is just too much land in Australia and not enough in: Indonesia, Philippines, New Guinea, that at some point the inevitable happens.

That is why the focus must be on populating Darwin, and quickly.
Most of the Chinese that are immigrating to countries such as Australia and Canada are doing so precisely because they want to get out of China or at least park some of their monetary assets outside of the country (due to pollution, concerns about the government, quality of life issues, etc). I highly doubt the Northern Territories or anywhere else in Australia is under any real threat of a "takeover" by the Chinese just because of those factors alone (Europe however is another story since they have and are attracting uneducated Muslim immigrants who have shown very little desire to assimilate into the overall culture and in someways even actively seek to change it).

Old 09-13-2016, 03:55 PM

574 posts, read 1,306,172 times
Having lived in AUS and now living in US, I would have to say I prefer US...I found that the economy is better in US and it's certainly not as expensive..I also do prefer the climate in US, but I would say Aus is better for schooling!

Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Australians seem to think vegemite is something edible and tolerable so no, they are not the best country.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Australians seem to think vegemite is something edible and tolerable so no, they are not the best country.
lol! try vegemite with avocado
{seriously} lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand