U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2016, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,358 posts, read 5,186,519 times
Reputation: 2685

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Only if you regard Anglicans as a form of Catholic.
This is from the 2011 Australian census.

Religion | Australia | profile.id
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 AM
 
Location: London, UK
2,411 posts, read 1,248,979 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
Actually NZ and Australia are actually far more multicultural than the UK , with both having a foreign born population of around 26% compared to 13% in the UK
With Britain by far topping the foreign born nationality making up over 1.2 million of foreign borns in a country of 24 million people and way down in second is NZ borns lol. Funny how UK's expansive 3rd and 4th generation immigrants don't count.

Would love to see a Black or Asian sitcom from the 80's or 90's from Australia or NZ, do they exist? It was the UK that marketed/launched reggae to the world for goodness sake with Bob Marley and the Wailers. Spare me the Aus/NZ more multicultural than UK dribble.

UK: the home of Dubstep, Jungle, Bhangra, Northern Soul, Azonto. Please show me an equivalent Australian Musical Youth or Freddie Mercury from the 70's or Soul II Soul or Sade from the 80's?




Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 11-04-2016 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,358 posts, read 5,186,519 times
Reputation: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
With Britain by far topping the foreign born nationality making up over 1.2 million of foreign borns in a country of 24 million people and way down in second is NZ borns lol. Funny how UK's expansive 3rd and 4th generation immigrants don't count.

Would love to see a Black or Asian sitcom from the 80's or 90's from Australia or NZ, do they exist? It was the UK that marketed/launched reggae to the world for goodness sake with Bob Marley and the Wailers. Spare me the Aus/NZ more multicultural than UK dribble.

UK: the home of Dubstep, Jungle, Bhangra, Northern Soul, Azonto. Please show me an equivalent Australian Musical Youth or Freddie Mercury from the 70's or Soul II Soul or Sade from the 80's?



So what you are saying is that the UK is multicultural but Australia's 1.2 million immigrants from the nation in no way add to Australia's multiculturalism?

Almost 200,000 NZ Maori live in Australia and a further 100,000 are of Samoan and Tongan Ancestry. The bulk of them are immigrants from New Zealand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 12:10 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,411 posts, read 1,248,979 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
So what you are saying is that the UK is multicultural but Australia's 1.2 million immigrants from the nation in no way add to Australia's multiculturalism?
Have you read the title of this thread? A little bit of basic comprehension please in regards to the context and subject matter.
1.2+ million British born people in Australia (more than double that of any other nation I may add) add to the "British feel" of Australia. Doesn't mean Australia doesn't have its own identity or that it hasn't been influenced by other nationalities but it's still a distance from creating iconic homegrown cultural expressions based on foreign influences as much as the UK has over the decades. My previous posts illustrate this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,358 posts, read 5,186,519 times
Reputation: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Have you read the title of this thread? A little bit of basic comprehension please in regards to the context and subject matter.
1.2+ million British born people in Australia (more than double that of any other nation I may add) add to the "British feel" of Australia. Doesn't mean Australia doesn't have its own identity or that it hasn't been influenced by other nationalities but it's still a distance from creating iconic homegrown cultural expressions based on foreign influences as much as the UK has over the decades. My previous posts illustrate this.
AS far as I'm concerned you started it all with the whole British multiculturalism thing. I would be the first to acknowledge however that the UK does music and sitcoms very well. I would be flat out even naming an Australian sitcom produced in the last 30 years.


My mums a UK immigrant and I am a British citizen myself, I lived in London for 4 years. For the most part its hard to draw comparisons between the part of Australia I grew up in, which was a mix of country/cowboy types and the ever present aborigonal community, and the UK.

NZ actually has more UK immigrants per capita than Australia.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-04-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 02:28 PM
 
260 posts, read 84,725 times
Reputation: 130
Actually overall, the percentage of Australians who identify as European is still around 90% , compared to 74% in New zealand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 06:59 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,411 posts, read 1,248,979 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
AS far as I'm concerned you started it all with the whole British multiculturalism thing.
Sorry deary are we five now with the "you started it" argument? In fact if you want to get bogged down in it, it was Paddy who raised the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
OZ is too multi-cultural to feel British
Well hold on a minute, I'm British, 2nd generation Colombian. We South Americans (heritage) number half a million in the UK and are seldom represented in Aus and NZ, whereas in the UK Colombians have been represented since the 70's, Chucho Merchan in the iconic 70's band the Eurythmics being one example.





People outside the UK really underestimate the long tradition of immigration the UK has had and the amount of iconic people and cultural expressions the UK has homegrown thanks to this.

.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 11-04-2016 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,358 posts, read 5,186,519 times
Reputation: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Sorry deary are we five now with the "you started it" argument? In fact if you want to get bogged down in it, it was Paddy who raised the issue.



Well hold on a minute, I'm British, 2nd generation Colombian. We South Americans (heritage) number half a million in the UK and are seldom represented in Aus and NZ, whereas in the UK Colombians have been represented since the 70's, Chucho Merchan in the iconic 70's band the Eurythmics being one example.





People outside the UK really underestimate the long tradition of immigration the UK has had and the amount of iconic people and cultural expressions the UK has homegrown thanks to this.

.
A Columbian girl hey? Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 07:47 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,411 posts, read 1,248,979 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
A Columbian girl hey? Enough said.
Are you profiling now? Who said girl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,358 posts, read 5,186,519 times
Reputation: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Are you profiling now? Who said girl?
Yes Irene as soon as you used the word deary. I knew it was you. I thought you hated the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top