Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 04:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,776 times

Advertisements

I want to shift my house to Australia. Which city is best for living in Australia?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,498 times
If you can afford, Sydney.
Great weather
Friendly people
Gateway to international destinations
cosmopolitan
tons to do and see

Old 11-25-2016, 12:29 PM

361 posts, read 837,468 times
Brisbane is good too, cheaper and better weather than Sydney and you have Gold Coast.
... but people were less friendly than in Sydney.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:53 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
Well it really depends on the type of city you like and/or whether you have the means to live in that city comfortably.

Australia is pretty homogenous though, the capital cities are all quite similar. If I was to pick one I'd say Melbourne is the most interesting city for me but all the major cities are of interest and may have something you prefer over the others.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:53 PM

71 posts, read 44,696 times
Agree on your means to live in that city, especially because your location within that particular city will determine your ability to travel around that city. Traffic in the three major cities on the east coast can be horrendous and life draining. Somewhere like Canberra, for example, basically has no traffic at all but offers many of the same features as the major cities (not convenient beach access though!).

Old 11-26-2016, 06:14 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyriser18 View Post
Agree on your means to live in that city, especially because your location within that particular city will determine your ability to travel around that city. Traffic in the three major cities on the east coast can be horrendous and life draining. Somewhere like Canberra, for example, basically has no traffic at all but offers many of the same features as the major cities (not convenient beach access though!).
Small cities are good, even if Canberra may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Somewhere like Newcastle NSW, where I live on the periphery, is a good city, It may have a slight peak hour but without the complete madness of Sydney, and housing is more affordable.
Good shopping, wineries, beaches etc. (rarely any reason to go Sydney).
Climate is temperate and moderate.
Otherwise somewhere like the Central Coast is ok too, where my mother lives and some other rellies, and is almost continuous suburbia.
Although a bit of a "poor man's Sydney", still has everything there without the price tag. (and easily commutable to Sydney).

Old 12-13-2016, 05:24 AM

4 posts, read 4,402 times
Default Brisbane FTW

I vote Brisbane, great location and Queensland is quite affordable for house rentals as well. If you have time you can also research properties in NSW region (https://www.lifull.com.au/house/rent...es/properties/). Hope you find your home here Down Under.

Best

Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Melbourne for no lockout laws and being a vibrant 24/7 city whereas lockout laws have decimated Sydney and soon Brisbane. No one comes to Sydney anymore - they all go (as well as a large number of people moving) to Melbourne.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:26 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Melbourne for no lockout laws and being a vibrant 24/7 city whereas lockout laws have decimated Sydney and soon Brisbane. No one comes to Sydney anymore - they all go (as well as a large number of people moving) to Melbourne.
How much has Melbourne changed since December 2010?

I had lived in Melbourne from Early 2006 to December 2010, it felt somewhat sleepy even in the CBD/downtown after 9 pm.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:47 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
How much has Melbourne changed since December 2010?

I had lived in Melbourne from Early 2006 to December 2010, it felt somewhat sleepy even in the CBD/downtown after 9 pm.
It would have added more than 500,000 people since then for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand