Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 07:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

Just saw this in a Pew Opinion poll.

We have an extremely good opinion of you guys and your nation. Soooo, what's up??

Key allies in Europe, Asia have mostly positive views of Americans but fault them on some traits | Pew Research Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:04 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Australians generally view Americans as optimistic, hard working, arrogant, greedy, and violent. Given the choice of questions, it sounds about right to me.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:15 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

We have an extremely good opinion of you guys and your nation. Soooo, what's up??

Key allies in Europe, Asia have mostly positive views of Americans but fault them on some traits | Pew Research Center
Bad media exposure and political influences from the US maybe?

Old 12-20-2016, 05:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:

Maybe you need to figure this out first?

"And even in the U.S., a quarter of Americans express negative views of their own people."

I can't say I've heard a bad thing said about American people. Most people say Americans are very polite and nice.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:24 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Maybe you need to figure this out first?

"And even in the U.S., a quarter of Americans express negative views of their own people."

I can't say I've heard a bad thing said about American people. Most people say Americans are very polite and nice.
I'd be willing to bet a quarter of Aussies have a negative view of themselves as well. That seems to be the default setting of a certain segment of all nation's populations. With America, its the liberals who think we suck.

I think what the sucker punch for me is that more of you view us negatively than positively. I guess I'll just have to steer clear of the land down under.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:42 AM

69 posts, read 115,650 times
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet a quarter of Aussies have a negative view of themselves as well.
Nah mate we love each other down here! We are nowhere near as divided as a lot of other countries are right now.

Quote:
I think what the sucker punch for me is that more of you view us negatively than positively. I guess I'll just have to steer clear of the land down under.
Look, in Australia if you're a good bloke nobody will care where you're from, we'll take care of you (and probably take the **** out of you as well but that's just our humour!). So just come over ffs!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
I know a lot of Aussie expats here in China; there are probably more of them here than Americans, due to proximity... but, most of them are generally pretty cool with Americans and have a decent-to-positive view of them, at least as individuals. I don't think many people around the world respect our government or think that our crime problems are "cool."

Old 12-21-2016, 08:27 PM

12 posts, read 11,798 times
Opinions down here are a funny thing if you ask me.
For some reason a lot of aussies have a strong opinion on things they actually know nothing about.
When I got here quite a few people only noticed my accent and already judged me based on that alone.
Then there were the others who actually got curious first an tried to get to know me before knowing who and what I am.
Same for the news we get.
You might be used to seeing quite a lot of violent topics, stories from problems in other countries and so on.
We don't.
Compared to real international news most things never show up or only get a sidenot in the newticker running through the show.
If you want to know something about americans or america itself you would need the library or these days the internet.
A few years back a friend of mine was planning on some relative from the US to visit him.
Most of his friends started to make jokes right away, some even said they better not come over while the american is around.
As it turned out this "american" was not like any american they expected.
He knew how to handle the BBQ, that beer needs to be kept cold and supplied at an ongoing base and apart from the funny accent was a decent and funny guy.
So rest assured that even the most stubborn aussie will like you if you are a real cowboy from Arizona, drink cold beer and know how to make a decent steak - but don't forget some good stories to along with the BBQ!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:51 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet a quarter of Aussies have a negative view of themselves as well. That seems to be the default setting of a certain segment of all nation's populations. With America, its the liberals who think we suck.

Depends, there are definitely issues that Aussies will have a negative view on Americans.

1. The second amendment.
2. Trump.
3. Trump.
4. Trump.
5. Getting asked about kangaroos all the time.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 AM

155 posts, read 149,024 times
Probably for the same reasons that many people from many countries do. The leading example of a classic "dumbocracy" ... filtering very questionable politicians to the top positions.

Also allowing their country to interfere in the domestic affairs of many countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand