Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Sydney next month and I have been reading up on public transportation. I've learned all about the Opal card, but I have one (possibly dumb) question. Do you use the same card for buses, trains, and ferries? I have read about the card in many places including the Opal website and it's not quite clear. The way they word it, you need separate cards for each.

For instance, can we take the train from the airport to the hotel, then use the same card to take the ferry to Manly beach using the same pre-loaded funds, taking advantage of the daily $15.00 cap?

Old 06-14-2017, 01:31 PM

284 posts, read 330,913 times
You can use the same card across all modes of transport, just make sure you tap on and tap off with every trip.

Fares for the airport train includes the normal distance pricing + an "airport station access fee" which IIRC is about $14 on top, and that access fee does not count towards the $15 day cap, meaning you'll have to pay it regardless of whether or not you've reached the cap for the day. One neat little trick though - if you get an unregistered Opal card (from the airport or convenience stores) and use it for all your travel, then whatever you have left at the end, as long as it is above the minimum tap on balance (max $3.40), you can use it to take the train back to the airport (if you had less on the card than the fare required it'll just show on the card as a negative balance). Which means that if you have $4 left on the card and the airport trip costs $17, it'll just show up on the card as a balance of $-13, but the gates will still open for you, so afterwards you can decide to throw the card away or keep it as a souvenir

One other thing worth noting is that the daily cap on Sundays is $2.50, which means you can travel on all modes of transport using the same card for as much as you like for that price, but again discludes the airport station access fee.

Have fun on your trip!

Last edited by ciTydude123; 06-14-2017 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
You can use the same card across all modes of transport, just make sure you tap on and tap off with every trip.

Fares for the airport train includes the normal distance pricing + an "airport station access fee" which IIRC is about $14 on top, and that access fee does not count towards the $15 day cap, meaning you'll have to pay it regardless of whether or not you've reached the cap for the day. One neat little trick though - if you get an unregistered Opal card (from the airport or convenience stores) and use it for all your travel, then whatever you have left at the end, as long as it is above the minimum tap on balance (max $3.40), you can use it to take the train back to the airport (if you had less on the card than the fare required it'll just show on the card as a negative balance). Which means that if you have $4 left on the card and the airport trip costs $17, it'll just show up on the card as a balance of $-13, but the gates will still open for you, so afterwards you can decide to throw the card away or keep it as a souvenir

One other thing worth noting is that the daily cap on Sundays is $2.50, which means you can travel on all modes of transport using the same card for as much as you like for that price, but again discludes the airport station access fee.

Have fun on your trip!
Good tip! Thanks!

We actually are leaving Sunday morning, so that ride to the airport would be $2.50 + fee, but I will remember your idea

I've done so much research I feel like I could be a tour guide for Sydney when I arrive. I'm pretty excited!

Old 06-20-2017, 04:41 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
We will be visiting Sydney next month and I have been reading up on public transportation. I've learned all about the Opal card, but I have one (possibly dumb) question. Do you use the same card for buses, trains, and ferries? I have read about the card in many places including the Opal website and it's not quite clear. The way they word it, you need separate cards for each.

For instance, can we take the train from the airport to the hotel, then use the same card to take the ferry to Manly beach using the same pre-loaded funds, taking advantage of the daily $15.00 cap?
Just on the trip to Manly, ferries depart from two wharfs at Circular Quay - Wharf 3 & 6.
You can only use the Opal card on wharf 3 ferries. Wharf 6 is privately run, and requires a separate card, or purchase at gate for a single trip.

Enjoy your time in Sydney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Just on the trip to Manly, ferries depart from two wharfs at Circular Quay - Wharf 3 & 6.
You can only use the Opal card on wharf 3 ferries. Wharf 6 is privately run, and requires a separate card, or purchase at gate for a single trip.

Good to know, thank you!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

The trip was amazing! Sydney is just gorgeous and everyone we met was beyond nice. I really didn't want to leave!

We did the train from the airport and took the ferry to Manly and back via Circular Quay. Because our hotel was so perfectly located (The Tank Stream at 97 Pitt Street, just 10 minutes walk to Circular Quay) we basically walked most everywhere else so we didn't use our Opal cars until we went back to the airport. We visited Taronga Zoo, but did the Captain Cook cruise that was a combo zoo admission and boat shuttle and rode that to Darling Harbor after our zoo visit and walked back to the hotel.

I am ready to go back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand