U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2017, 04:30 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,211 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Really? Ask the Indigenous people of Australia how they feel about the achievements, the maturity and the pride of white supremacy under the banner of the British ensign.

In answer to the question, yes, I believe that Australia (and probably New Zealand) remains very immature as a nation. It will remain 'British' because Prince William, his wife Catherine, young son George, and young daughter Charlotte (and another damned 'royal' on the way) are, ahem ... 'cute'. Australians still love their 'royals'. They become giddy with excitement whenever these 'royal icons' visit the country and therefore allegiance to the monarchy (and the flag portraying the British ensign) is strengthened.

We would become a Republic tomorrow if I had anything to do with it and the flag would be changed to reflect this.

Umm then you better get off the soap box and check the Actual Realitity of where Australia stands as in regards to the British Crown

As for Indigenous I was born in Australia and so were my parents , but maybe you mean the Indigenous Aboriginal people , who some like to believe were a such a peaceful loving people they never knew how to make war.
Once again fact check just who were the real stolen people ( on record that is )
Maybe the children of Britain that were shipped out to Australia and Canada ?
The there's the forced adoptions of single mothers until recently.

As for the Aboriginal 'Stolen Children' they were the half cast off spring that were taken into custody for their own safety from tribal violence that was being perpetuated to them that were not full blood.
( apart from the fact that no Legal Entity can find a REAL Account of one "stolen" child ( that mean's one that was actually ''taken'' and not surrendered because of perceived violence / neglect etc against the child )

Politics without actual facts is a great game isn't it LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2017, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,095 posts, read 9,612,710 times
Reputation: 5266
Be proud of your British founding. I wish we had kept our flag that displayed our British founding.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Union_Flag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Greater Houston
4,514 posts, read 8,604,600 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Be proud of your British founding. I wish we had kept our flag that displayed our British founding.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Union_Flag
Only problem is that the future 37 states would not be represented. The 13 stripes would have represented the united colonies on the East Coast that eventually colonized the territory of the other 37 states to dominate the continent, sea to shining sea. We could have 50 stars or 50 stripes; which is easier to implement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Illawarra, NSW, Australia
3 posts, read 1,638 times
Reputation: 26
No, I disagree. If anything, the lack of flag changes is indicative of the appreciation both nations have of their British heritage. I personally don't think they should be changed anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
11,384 posts, read 7,843,684 times
Reputation: 6452
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan99 View Post
No, I disagree. If anything, the lack of flag changes is indicative of the appreciation both nations have of their British heritage. I personally don't think they should be changed anyway.
Perhaps it was easier for Canada since our heritage was French and English. Changing the flag to represent that instead of just a nod to the UK?

It's a tough one though. On the one hand I love the way our flag looks. It's truly become on the most recognizable flags in the world. Yet, when it comes to my provincial flag, I'm a little hesitant to change it

This video is from 2009, so I can safely say, the change hasn't happened, but the idea is out there.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSA6R3_rK4k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,519 posts, read 2,532,451 times
Reputation: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Be proud of your British founding. I wish we had kept our flag that displayed our British founding.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Union_Flag
I'm not. I like the US flag how it is. You can always move to hawaii if you want the union jack back.

I am surprised that Canada got rid of the union jack since they still proud of having the monarchy and the word "royal" in front of a lot their institutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
11,384 posts, read 7,843,684 times
Reputation: 6452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I'm not. I like the US flag how it is. You can always move to hawaii if you want the union jack back.

I am surprised that Canada got rid of the union jack since they still proud of having the monarchy and the word "royal" in front of a lot their institutions.
Our new flag came into being just before Canada's 1967 Centennial. There was some resistance, but apparently a poll in 1958 showed that 80 percent wanted a new flag, and 60 percent wanted a maple leaf on that flag.

Changing a flag, is a lot easier than changing your whole system of government is probably one reason why the Queen is still head of state. Support for the monarchy goes up and down, but my guess is that people generally are fine with how the system works. ( Quebec being less so in regards to monarchy ).

She has no real power. Does not involve herself with our affairs etc.

My guess, is after she passes, the discussion of keeping the monarchy in Canada will come up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Sydney Australia
597 posts, read 303,020 times
Reputation: 868
Even the republicans here have given up for the time being. There is simply no will for change, even among the large proportion of our population whose heritage is not British.
I think people see the flag as displaying our history and our geography and perhaps the monarchy serves the same purpose. People are not fond of politicians and do not want to see one as the ceremonial head of state, which is all the queen is these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 02:59 PM
 
900 posts, read 541,916 times
Reputation: 532
Its interesting though, that the national symbol that's most widely visible is not the flag, but the southern cross. And when the national flag is flown, its invariable along side the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2017, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
174 posts, read 94,151 times
Reputation: 128
The big difference between the US and Australia/New Zealand is that the US no longer simply sees itself as a colony nation and feels no attachment to Britain, this has been the case for the last few centuries, this is partly due to settlers from all across the world who called the US home and who outnumbered British settlers and thus culturally is in no way similar to Britain. The USA defined it's own identity and once a nation defines it's own identity independent of others it is followed by future Generations of what it means to be a citizen of that nation. Australia has been a nation that has had a more recent aggressive history of racism than the US and up to a few decades ago encouraged only white migration to it's land therefore most settlers in the 20th century came from Britain. While this has now changed you can start to see how Australia is moving further away from Britain culturally and is much more diverse. They will pursue their own identity soon enough. New Zealand on the other hand still feels an attachment to Britain however and embarrassingly rejected any motion for their own flag showing the world they weren't ready to stand on their own to feet but rather to be under the umbrella of British influence. This will change in time especially as settlers from all across Europe, China and South Africa redefine what New Zealand culture is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top