U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:27 AM

20,666 posts, read 22,227,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Perhaps it was easier for Canada since our heritage was French and English. Changing the flag to represent that instead of just a nod to the UK?

It's a tough one though. On the one hand I love the way our flag looks. It's truly become on the most recognizable flags in the world. Yet, when it comes to my provincial flag, I'm a little hesitant to change it

This video is from 2009, so I can safely say, the change hasn't happened, but the idea is out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSA6R3_rK4k
Oh wow, that British Columbia flag is ridiculous looking. It's like a slide in a slideshow deck that just had symbols plastered all over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 12:08 AM

831 posts, read 890,852 times
Canada definitely got it's flag right. The Maple Leaf is one of the world's most iconic and recognized flags in the world and yet is only 50 years old. I am Canadian and TOTALLY biased but I do think it is one of the best looking flags out there.

As far as becoming a Republic that will NEVER happen in Canada. Canadians have little love for Royalty and have always been a bit aloof to the British. Canadians tend to view themselves a mix of British, French, and European backgrounds with Nordic sensibilities. Australia and NZ are far more related and close to the UK than Canada has ever been.

That said we will never become a Republic because the US is one. Canada has a habit of waiting to see what the Americans do first and then do the opposite. It's not that we would miss the monarchy but rather Canadians would see it as a shift towards an American style governance and that will never fly.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 AM

12,106 posts, read 9,788,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Only problem is that the future 37 states would not be represented. The 13 stripes would have represented the united colonies on the East Coast that eventually colonized the territory of the other 37 states to dominate the continent, sea to shining sea. We could have 50 stars or 50 stripes; which is easier to implement?

Makes no sense. So what that we founded the rest of the US after Britain lost us. We were still founded and developed and our Constitution comes from the British settlers here, not people in TX or wherever. Our flag should have kept some semblance of British founding just as Australia and NZ.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:01 PM

1,046 posts, read 680,679 times
I agree/ and disagree with Moo, my flag represents Britain, and our flag is a fashion and soft power icon thanks to our cultural power. ( though I am not a flag waver), but does suit Hawaii truth be told. I think the American flag was based on George Washington`s coat of arms s o maybe we can creep back into the American flag, especially after Brexit, lol.
I don`t see any British similarity with Canada tbo, as Canada has a bland reputation in the UK, though naturally very beautiful. Britain has culturally more in common with the America , especially the southern states , and with our shared music, film, tv history

Old 02-05-2018, 12:29 AM

3,660 posts, read 2,636,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I agree/ and disagree with Moo, my flag represents Britain, and our flag is a fashion and soft power icon thanks to our cultural power. ( though I am not a flag waver), but does suit Hawaii truth be told. I think the American flag was based on George Washington`s coat of arms s o maybe we can creep back into the American flag, especially after Brexit, lol.
I don`t see any British similarity with Canada tbo, as Canada has a bland reputation in the UK, though naturally very beautiful. Britain has culturally more in common with the America , especially the southern states , and with our shared music, film, tv history
US flag seems to be based off the british east india company flag

Old 11-03-2018, 01:47 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,360,201 times
I think it all just boils down to nobody coming up with something that competes with what you have. It is a beautiful looking flag.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:00 PM

2,591 posts, read 1,740,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I think it all just boils down to nobody coming up with something that competes with what you have. It is a beautiful looking flag.
You are probably correct, nobody can come up with a better design, for both Aus and NZ it seems.
I recall back in the 80s people coming up with new designs, but they were always scorned at overall.
Still, I would like to see change, but the conservatism here means it is unlikely to happen.
It's a bit like the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality, about changing from a Monarchy to a Republic.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:25 PM

2,591 posts, read 1,740,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Our flag should change. We are one of the most richest and prosperous countries in the world. Why should our flag have another country's one? It doesn't do us justice. Not to mention, it's ironic that most of our hardcore Aussie patriots are against the idea, considering that their flag is, well, partially foreign.

This diagram was an eye-opener:
Good diagram.
Fiji is another place that comes to mind that has not changed it's flag.
But most other spots with the Union Jack in the flag are still British territories and/or not independent.
Look at New Caledonia, which is a French territory voting for independence this weekend, had already changed it's flag back in 2010 to represent it's own people.
Former British colonies are a bit slower it seems.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:58 PM

468 posts, read 159,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Good diagram.
Fiji is another place that comes to mind that has not changed it's flag.
But most other spots with the Union Jack in the flag are still British territories and/or not independent.
Look at New Caledonia, which is a French territory voting for independence this weekend, had already changed it's flag back in 2010 to represent it's own people.
Former British colonies are a bit slower it seems.
I guess a lot of people value that the Aussie flag combines symbols of our history and geography.
It is unlikely to get changed any time soon. It would be a very expensive exercise to do so and the prevailing opinion seems to be if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,023,192 times
In the case of Australia and probably New Zealand long over due. The Australian states could of course decide on their course of action. It does seem too hard though to pull off. Perhaps another forty or so years when Anglo influences have further declined.
Australian conservatism plays a big role, as mentioned, as for not broken, what exactly does that mean? Australia certainly deserves colours that reflect its position and changing identity in a changed world.
Canada managed to introduce a very impressive national symbol in form of flag, back in the sixties. What an improvement on their former colours, a somewhat bland red ensign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or