Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful natural setting?
Auckland 7 46.67%
Brisbane 3 20.00%
Melbourne 0 0%
Sydney 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:22 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times

Advertisements

I think Sydney is the most beautiful city because of three major waterways cutting through it. Also we have the Blue Mountains as well as the Bowral region close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 PM

21 posts, read 21,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Thank you for your thoughts! I have been to Auckland most significantly, so I suppose I have somewhat of a bias there. Here are some places that are well known within an hour (though I would agree, the South Island is more majestic, which is REALLY saying something):

Waitekere Ranges: https://www.google.com/search?q=wait...=1502044843894

Tawharanui Park: https://www.google.com/search?biw=11...k1.y0JPLg0lDsY

Auckland Skyline from atop Rangitoto Volcano: http://il6.picdn.net/shutterstock/vi...ize(height:160)

Edit: One correction. Tongariro National Park (aka Mordor) is actually on the North Island. It is about 4 hours from Auckland, and is definitely of the star attractions of the place. That being said, I'd still agree the south is more rugged and mind blowing overall, natural scenery wise (though the north counters with better weather)
Beautiful. Would just love to go there some day.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:11 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Simple enough, but based upon natural, not man made beauty. More emphasis can be placed on immediate setting, and closer in stuff, but anything within 100 km. certainly contributes.

The cities up for consideration are:
-Melbourne
-Sydney
-Brisbane
-Auckland.
A 100 kilometers, that certainly opens things up.

For within the city limits, (and I'm excluding Auckland as it's the one of the four I haven't been), but SYDNEY was beautiful within the city limits.

I found Melbourne to be quite flat, and ah...boring because I don't like flatness. But if you were go out 100 kilometers, you'd definitely see some beautiful coastline out that way.

Brisbane had really nice hills, and I liked the city itself. It's also a great place, of course, but it wasn't directly right on the ocean, like Sydney was. But that 100km thing again, does put put it in reach within the ocean.

I might be biased to hills and coastlines and within the urban metros themselves...which puts Sydney on top. But if a person wants something 100km out, than all three of them are gorgeous.

(Again, just comparing the three OZ ones, as I've only been to those three).

Old 11-05-2017, 11:17 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Sydney by far.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:30 AM

269 posts, read 199,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Sydney by far.

How so?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 AM

148 posts, read 323,344 times
I am biased, but I would vote Sydney based on the Blue Mountains alone!

Old 11-08-2017, 02:46 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times
Haven't been to Auckland , but from the ones you mentioned Sydney with its pristine coastline and "mountains" near by...

Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A 100 kilometers, that certainly opens things up.

For within the city limits, (and I'm excluding Auckland as it's the one of the four I haven't been), but SYDNEY was beautiful within the city limits.

I found Melbourne to be quite flat, and ah...boring because I don't like flatness. But if you were go out 100 kilometers, you'd definitely see some beautiful coastline out that way.

Brisbane had really nice hills, and I liked the city itself. It's also a great place, of course, but it wasn't directly right on the ocean, like Sydney was. But that 100km thing again, does put put it in reach within the ocean.

I might be biased to hills and coastlines and within the urban metros themselves...which puts Sydney on top. But if a person wants something 100km out, than all three of them are gorgeous.

(Again, just comparing the three OZ ones, as I've only been to those three).
100 km is indeed a huge area, if you do it as straight line. From the Brisbane CBD thats basically anywhere from Noosa in the north to Murwillimbah NSW, and almost out to Toowoomba in the west.

I have never been to murwillimbah, looks lovely however.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...N3qWctgylS2P4r

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-09-2017 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 06:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Having been to all four, and living in none of them.

Auckand is at a disadvantage in that is is located on a pretty narrow stretch of land, so you don't really get any significant change as you travel east-west or north-south. It does give it the by far the mildest weather of the three, with very little change through the day, or through the year.

Sydney has the Blue Mountains, central coast and harbour, which are all pretty nice, and provide a lot of variety, but....

Sydney doesn't have much to really compare to the Gold Coast hinterland or the stunning coastal scenery north and south of Brisbane.

Melbourne has some beautiful please nearly; the Dandenongs Yarra Valley, and Mornington Peninsula, but.......

For me its a pretty easy win for Brisbane, almost no contest.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:46 AM

269 posts, read 199,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Having been to all four, and living in none of them.

Auckand is at a disadvantage in that is is located on a pretty narrow stretch of land, so you don't really get any significant change as you travel east-west or north-south. It does give it the by far the mildest weather of the three, with very little change through the day, or through the year.

Sydney has the Blue Mountains, central coast and harbour, which are all pretty nice, and provide a lot of variety, but....

Sydney doesn't have much to really compare to the Gold Coast hinterland or the stunning coastal scenery north and south of Brisbane.

Melbourne has some beautiful please nearly; the Dandenongs Yarra Valley, and Mornington Peninsula, but.......

For me its a pretty easy win for Brisbane, almost no contest.
I wouldn't really count that as a disadvantage for Auckland......In fact it means nearly everywhere in the City is 15 mins away from the water maximimum, and it also means that there are really nice views of the harbours from majority of the city. Also, there are about 50 volcanoes throughout the metro area which make for pretty good views. Also, the change in landscape going west-East is bigger than you would think. The west has large black sand beaches with cliffs and rainforests while the East has dryer agricultural land and golden sand beaches, that's much more of a change than somewhere like Melbourne which is just on a dry plain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand