Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 AM

4,439 posts, read 6,946,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Yes, everyone has a right to an opinion. But, if this opinion is expressed in such a manner as to impinge on someone else's rights then it needs to be challenged. I'm voting yes because it's my belief that everyone should be allowed to choose for themselves who they wish to spend the rest of their lives with. Also, their right to publicly announce this followed by the same ceremonial procedures as is the case with a 'traditional' marriage if they so choose. I'm trusting that the Australian public will do the right thing and ignore the panic merchants and the religious bigots who are blatantly going to ridiculous lengths (per TV announcements) to deter a 'yes' vote.
I believe same sex marriage will be eventually legalised, even if the no votes win. I do admit that. Even so when it is legalised, there still be the issue with religious freedom and free speech and this is an ongoing battle in countries that have already legalised same sex marriage.

An example of this is the status of religious freedom in England now there are Jewish schools that are in threat of closure due to the refusal of the school teaching homosexuality and transgender issues. Of course same sex marriage is legalised in England. This has happened in neigbouring France as well that also legalised same sex marriage.

If people want to get married to what ever gender, then go right ahead, and if you vote yes then you have a right as well to vote that way too. Yet not everyone will ever agree to it and we all have different values.

Last edited by other99; 09-21-2017 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 05:46 AM

3,739 posts, read 2,947,274 times
Voted no. (other 3 voters in my household all voted yes)
Seems over-hyped, when most heterosexual couples live in de facto relationships anyway, and marriage is a dying trend.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,621,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Voted no. (other 3 voters in my household all voted yes)
Seems over-hyped, when most heterosexual couples live in de facto relationships anyway, and marriage is a dying trend.
Well, there you have it, people!~
Marriage is a dying trend according to this person. End of discussion.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I believe same sex marriage will be eventually legalised, even if the no votes win. I do admit that. Even so when it is legalised, there still be the issue with religious freedom and free speech and this is an ongoing battle in countries that have already legalised same sex marriage.

An example of this is the status of religious freedom in England now there are Jewish schools that are in threat of closure due to the refusal of the school teaching homosexuality and transgender issues. Of course same sex marriage is legalised in England. This has happened in neigbouring France as well that also legalised same sex marriage.

If people want to get married to what ever gender, then go right ahead, and if you vote yes then you have a right as well to vote that way too. Yet not everyone will ever agree to it and we all have different values.
Even a backwards, Sinophone, Confucian country like Taiwan has it a done deal. If I were Australian I would feel extremely mortified that Australia, being one of the most progressive, liberal, successful democratic societies in the world with such strong instutitions and a well-educated population, is so behind regarding this issue.

Yes, it will eventually be legalised, but do you really want to keep procrastinating it?

Quote:
That is so not the point.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,426,595 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Even a backwards, Sinophone, Confucian country like Taiwan has it a done deal. If I were Australian I would feel extremely mortified that Australia, being one of the most progressive, liberal, successful democratic societies in the world with such strong instutitions and a well-educated population, is so behind regarding this issue.

Yes, it will eventually be legalised, but do you really want to keep procrastinating it?

That is so not the point.
Geez I wish it was as easy as a court ruling in Australia. The debacle we currently have is just plain stupid.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 PM

4,158 posts, read 4,816,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I imagine the religious freedom argument would drop like a stone if it was, for example, an Islamic school teaching students about the virtue of female circumcision. I don't see a problem with the government having a curriculum that includes teaching children there are gays are part of society who should be afforded the same respect as everyone else.

Quote:
Ofsted makes clear that schools are not expected to "promote" ideas about sexual orientation or gender reassignment, but they are expected to "encourage pupils' respect for other people, paying particular regard to the protected characteristics set out in the 2010 Equalities Act".

Old 09-23-2017, 04:15 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,201,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
[color="Navy"]Naturally, the religious folks are bombarding the TV with public announcements predicting that, if the "Yes" vote wins and the law is changed, the sky will surely fall and that many 'little Johnnies' will be showing up for school wearing dresses.
Is there a high percentage of religious fundamentalists in Australia?

Old 09-23-2017, 04:18 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,095,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Is there a high percentage of religious fundamentalists in Australia?
Not as many as in the US, but the ones we do have make a lot of noise to convince themselves they matter.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:33 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,201,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Not as many as in the US, but the ones we do have make a lot of noise to convince themselves they matter.
Thankfully we are starting to see an "awakening" of sorts here in the US and the fundamentalists are diminishing...but still there are a lot of them here...sigh!

These types are certainly hell bent on fighting for oppression.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:41 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,095,927 times
They don't have as much political influence in Australia as they seem to in the US. Your country was settled by Puritans, ours mostly by convicts .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand