Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 03:41 PM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
That's better. Lke a nice pub menu. Nothing wrong with that of course. Pubs are popular for the same reason chains are. They serve food you don't have to think too much about.

Last edited by BCC_1; 01-11-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:42 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
Here's a link from wiki of chain restaurants in Australia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Australia

not sure how up to date it is.
That list is mainly for fast food chains (McDonalds and Burger King style) not for the fast casual. Also some of those "chains" wouldn't be so much chains as a local restaurant with a number of locations. Certainly not in the league of an Appleby's or Cheescake Factory.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
It's just thin pizza. Every pub seems to have it these days. It's nice enough, but it is what it is.
The main difference is that flatbread (or in some joints flatbread pizza) has no yeast in it.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
That's better. Lke a nice pub menu. Nothing wrong with that of course. Pubs are popular for the same reason chains are. They serve food you don't have to think too much about.
There are different chains in the US, catering to different tastes and different socio-economic climes. Although some of the Seasons 52 food can be had at an Olive Garden.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
There are different chains in the US, catering to different tastes and different socio-economic climes. Although some of the Seasons 52 food can be had at an Olive Garden.
I live in the US and in Australia. Of course there are, but at the end of the day if you're going to appeal to the mass-market and start a chain, then you need relatively uninspired food that will appeal to as many people as possible and will ensure they come back. I didn't actually think I was stating anything controversial, I thought it was franchising 101.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:21 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
^^^ Which state in the US do you live?

I have to admit I am a fan of 2 big chains. Pappasito's Cantina is one and Houston's restaurants.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
I live in the US and in Australia. Of course there are, but at the end of the day if you're going to appeal to the mass-market and start a chain, then you need relatively uninspired food that will appeal to as many people as possible and will ensure they come back. I didn't actually think I was stating anything controversial, I thought it was franchising 101.
So you're doubling down on your stereotyping and generalizations; man, you're so prideful. As I stated in a previous post, some chains do offer bland, boring uninspired food that appeal to the masses but other chains feature bold, fresh dynamic flavors and that's what made them grow into multiple locations; tasty food.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:47 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
That list is mainly for fast food chains (McDonalds and Burger King style) not for the fast casual. Also some of those "chains" wouldn't be so much chains as a local restaurant with a number of locations. Certainly not in the league of an Appleby's or Cheescake Factory.
LOL, that's exactly what a chain is; a restaurant with multiple locations. Some are huge with hundreds of locations and some may only have a handful or so, but they're both chains.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
Quote:
LOL, that's exactly what a chain is; a restaurant with multiple locations. Some are huge with hundreds of locations and some may only have a handful or so, but they're both chains.
We have mostly chain franchises in the food courts in shopping malls partly as Westfield and the like apparently favour that. But the OP was asking about sit down restaurant chains and they are certainly much more limited and not overly popular.
Buffets are few and far between, apart from at hotels for breakfast and a few for dinners, partly as the food laws were tightened years ago and it made it more expensive to comply. Most people I know really dislike buffets these days.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 AM

Quote:
So you're doubling down on your stereotyping and generalizations
If that's how you want to read my posts, then yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand