Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:08 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times

Advertisements

All I know is this U.S. citizen has had a lifelong dream to visit Australia. The dream will become a reality in 11 days. And I can't wait! Looking forward to 3 glorious weeks of seeing all I can see in that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 05:25 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Perhaps those figures are for air travel? Many people drive into Canada and Mexico.
Although I am surprised by Dominican Republic being #2; I literally don't know a single person who's been there.
Punta Cana is growing in popularity from the East Coast. Santo Domingo has more budget options.

I queried the FAA database for flights from the USA, for the most recent available month (June 2017)

I ranked data by airports earlier, but now I will rank by countries. This data is for enplanements and it includes tourism, business, and it makes no distinction of nationality of the passenger or ultimate destination.

Some of the other rankings are restricted to Americans on vacation.

Country most popular destination for flights from USA (last available month FAA data June 2017)
  1. Mexico
  2. Canada
  3. United Kingdom
  4. Germany
  5. Japan
  6. France
  7. China
  8. Dominican Republic
  9. South Korea
  10. Netherlands
  11. Italy
  12. Spain
  13. Brazil
  14. Ireland
  15. Jamaica
  16. United Arab Emirates
  17. Colombia
  18. Panama
  19. Hong Kong
  20. Australia

Airport most popular destination for Americans (last available month FAA data June 2017)
LHR London, United Kingdom
YYZ Toronto, Canada
CUN Cancun, Mexico
CDG Paris, France
FRA Frankfurt, Germany
MEX Mexico City, Mexico
NRT Tokyo, Japan
YVR Vancouver, Canada
ICN Seoul, South Korea
AMS Amsterdam, Netherlands
YUL Montreal, Canada
PUJ Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
DUB Dublin, Ireland
PTY Panama City, Panama
HKG Hong Kong, Hong Kong
SJD San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
PEK Beijing, China
PVG Shanghai, China
GDL Guadalajara, Mexico
FCO Rome, Italy
MBJ Montego Bay, Jamaica
YYC Calgary, Canada
MAD Madrid, Spain
KEF Keflavik/Reykjavik, Iceland
GRU Sao Paulo, Brazil
DXB Dubai, United Arab Emirates
MUC Munich, Germany
TPE Taipei, Taiwan
NAS Nassau, The Bahamas
BOG Bogota, Colombia
LGW London, United Kingdom
SDQ Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
SYD Sydney, Australia

My gut tells me it is more than just vacation time. Even given four weeks most Americans won't ride in a plane for half a day and pass through that many time zones to visit a country where most people live in urban areas.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:09 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Australians in 2015 (based on ABS data to October)

New Zealand
Indonesia
USA
UK
Thailand
China
Singapore
Fiji
Japan
India

Read more: Most popular holiday destinations for Australians in 2015 named
For the U.S., how many of those trips are to Hawaii? As I recall, Hawaii has been described as a medium haul destination from Australia, while the U.S. mainland is much farther.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
All I know is this U.S. citizen has had a lifelong dream to visit Australia. The dream will become a reality in 11 days. And I can't wait! Looking forward to 3 glorious weeks of seeing all I can see in that time.
I visited three decades ago. Spent a month on the island of Tasmania. The landscape appeared very different, the wildlife appeared very different, but the culture was close enough to feel an affinity for.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 12-26-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Australia isn't really presented in US media as a 'must see' place. The places that are projected to the average American as 'must visit at least once in your life' are:

Conceivably, Australia and New Zealand might graduate to the 'must visit at least once in life' status.

They can be portrayed as being easy to visit as Anglosphere countries, while being different enough in other respects to be intriguing.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 12-26-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Conceivably, Australia and New Zealand might graduate to the 'must visit at least once in life' status.

They can be portrayed as being easy to visit as Anglosphere countries, while being different enough in other respects to be intriguing.
Everyone's list of "must see", "would like to see" or "don't want to see" is different, unique to them, shaped by different features and types of experience. But folk interested in the natural environment, contemporary urban centres or indigenous cultures will find more of interest in Australia than those interested in.. old buildings..

Old 12-27-2017, 01:28 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
For the U.S., how many of those trips are to Hawaii? As I recall, Hawaii has been described as a medium haul destination from Australia, while the U.S. mainland is much farther.
People from East Coast USA probably prefer to go to the Caribbean than Hawaii. Most Hawaii trips are from West Coast which is only 5 hr flight.

I would go to Europe multiple times but only to Australia once or twice in my lifetime. The flight is just too long. The last hours on a nonstop flight are very miserable.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:22 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Roughly 1 in 5 is to Hawaii. Honolulu is almost midway between Sydney and NYC. Hawaiian Airlines could theoretically coordinate their flight times and shuttle Australians to NYC, but they don't make any attempt to do that.

2016 Entry city for passengers from Australia
56.94% LAX
20.97% HNL
10.14% SFO
6.13% DFW
Jan 2018 IAH
5.71% JFK (requires fuel stop in California)
0.11% LAS (no regularly scheduled flights)

Qantas flies a plane from JFK to LAX that no one can board just for that segment (foreign airlines cannot sell tickets for domestic segments in any country of the world). In LAX you can transfer to the three Australian airports.

Sydney to Houston Airport starts in January 2018. After January the three longest flights on USA airlines will all be on United. SFO-SIN, LAX-SIN, IAH-SYD.
The two longest routes in the world are from the Middle East to Auckland. The longest route to the USA on a foreign airline is the Qantas A380 from Sydney to Dallas.

Planes capable of carrying people from SYD to JFK nonstop are predicted in the next five years.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:53 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Roughly 1 in 5 is to Hawaii. Honolulu is almost midway between Sydney and NYC. Hawaiian Airlines could theoretically coordinate their flight times and shuttle Australians to NYC, but they don't make any attempt to do that.
It's a pretty popular stopover on the way to the 48 as well as a package deal destination in its own right.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Qantas are starting the Perth to London non-stop very soon. Not sure if I would want to do that unless we wanted to catch up with our friends in Perth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand