Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 2,956 times

Advertisements

Please go easy on me im young and my parents are precious to me and no knocking on me because I live with them as I have health issues and am on a sickness benefit/social security. Now hopefully I'll be married and not have to deal some of the aspects of this but just incase ive planned ahead.

So my Dad is late 60's a month ago had his first stroke and mum is 64? today I penned out a action plan for their funerals and future deaths incase they both go soon which is wise. so this is what I wrote out:

combined income
their pension +most of my benefit to pay for rent etc

based on how much they get we would have to maybe move and go into a two bedroom home (we currently have three) in the case of one parent dieing

The first parent to die their siblings( my Aunty's and uncles) to organise the funeral -

Im not gonna go into who pays for the funeral Ill leave that part out

If both of them die within a short period say both within a year

My living options

go live with my brother until I can find a one bedroom place

Contact their services,utilities, their mail they get ie. credit card, close bank account
I think Mum said she'd leave their pin number somewhere safe in that event

Take their possesions most of it unless family want it to Salvation army op shop

ive left some stuff out i dont want it to share personal stuff

I had some questions although im sure extended family would help me with this:

Is cremation a cheaper option?

How much is NZ pension for one spouse if the other is deceased?

Just wondered if you could help me with any thing important/ things ive left out
mind you as ive mentioned my family could help me and my brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 07:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
I would imagine New Zealand have pension details on their website, as is the case with Australia so you can look it up. I would also imagine that you have some type of a legal aide service and in the case of you needing to make arrangements for them , they should be able to assist you.
It would be a good idea for someone to have a Power of Attorney for your parents and in the case of the parent who has had a stroke, an Advanced Care Directive. So perhaps it would be a good idea to find someone like legal aide, or an advisor at the government department that administers the pensions, to go through it with you.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 2,956 times
ok cool great advice

Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
It is really good to think about what could happen, since your father has had a stroke. However, if your mother is in fairly good health, it could be many years before anything happens to her. I hope so.

Do not worry too much because there are a lot of people out there who would help you if need be. I am assuming you have a lot of the same services in NZ as we do, I am sure you do. All hospitals have social workers and they guide families in the right direction. My friend just lost her husband from cancer and she had a whole palliative care team helping her at the end. Someone to call at any time, nurses to come and visit, even lots of information on exactly what to expect at the end. You would not be alone.

It is very helpful if your parents have their will drawn up and up to date. All adults should, though many do not get around to it. Legal aide services help with that too. Good luck with it all.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:29 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times
Sorry to hear about your Dad's stroke. It's always a bit scary when your parents first get seriously ill. Have you talked with them or your brothers about how you are feeling? It's unnerving when you realize everything could change quite quickly, but you are doing the right thing thinking ahead and getting prepared.

Do your parents have a will? It makes things a lot easier, otherwise you need to go through the courts for probate which takes a lot longer. It can be quite simple, you can get some good templates off the internet. You don't have to go to a lawyer, but it does need to be signed by them and dated and witnessed by somebody who isn't family.

They will need to appoint someone as Executor to deal with closing bank accounts, selling any property, etc. it could be you or one of your brothers or a trusted family friend. Better to choose someone neutral, but it has to be someone you all trust.

The Public Trust will do both standard wills and powers of Attorney for $285 each document. Maybe that might be the best way, they can give you guidance and advice.

Once you notify the banks or other financial institutions of the death, you won't be able to do anything with the accounts, only the executor. If they have a joint bank account, the other person will still be able to use their account, as long as its joint. If the account is only in one name, then you have to wait for the executor to deal with it.

They need to apppoint someone to hold the Power of Attorney for financial affairs (can deal with bank accounts, etc) and someone to hold Power of Attorney for health and welfare (makes decisions about medical care, treatment, etc). The financial Power of Attorney can take effect straight away or only once someone is incapacitated. Again, you should be able to download samples (make sure they are specific to NZ). Once they die, the powers of Attorney cease to have any effect and it shifts over to the executor.

Are they on National Super? If so, Social Welfare automatically adjusts the payment when one partner dies (they get notified by Internal Affairs when they issue the death certificate). If they live on their own, the current rate is $390 a week. If they live with someone else, the rate is $360.

Go see someone at the Citizens Advice Bureau in the first instance, they'll be able to help you do some of the simple things. They might be able to help you talk with your parents about these matters. It's pretty confronting to think about your own death and what happens afterwards, so you'll need to be thoughtful and kind but direct when you talk with them. The Public Trust

You are doing the right thing, it'll be better to have this sorted out now. Otherwise it's a big mess to try and work it all out at the worst possible time. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand