Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a fan of Australia?
Yes 129 78.18%
No 36 21.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 02:19 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Is it a country?
Yep - it's about 1800km off the New Zealand coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 03:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
It's a great place in general, but it has a few glaring issues

The Good: Laid back attitude, highest minimum wages in the world, gorgeous women, mild winters (I miss having snow during Christmas, but I'll take these summers anytime over -40C winters), decent public transportation, great culinary experience

The Bad: The laid back attitude can get in the way of productivity/services, customer care is sub par, rent is on the high end, internet speeds can be quite lackluster, hot dog stands are hard to find.

When it comes to food, I noticed that unlike in North America, Chinese restaurants don't pack their food in those white boxes, they don't give you fortune cookies and dishes like Kung Pao chicken are hard to find. Why is that?

Old 02-18-2018, 03:43 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

The Good: Laid back attitude, highest minimum wages in the world, gorgeous women, mild winters (I miss having snow during Christmas, but I'll take these summers anytime over -40C winters), decent public transportation, great culinary experience

The Bad: The laid back attitude can get in the way of productivity/services, customer care is sub par, rent is on the high end, internet speeds can be quite lackluster, hot dog stands are hard to find.

When it comes to food, I noticed that unlike in North America, Chinese restaurants don't pack their food in those white boxes, they don't give you fortune cookies and dishes like Kung Pao chicken are hard to find. Why is that?
Now that you mention it, I do remember several restaurants I ate at that had very slow service and some of the wait staff seemed grumpy. However, I never had a problem with any of the food I ate there and never got food poisoning. So, I think they must have pretty good hygiene standards. In fact to this day, the best fish and chips I have ever had in my life was in Australia. Barramundi was delicious!

Old 02-18-2018, 04:06 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
That’s because those are characteristics of Chinese-American food, which is it’s own regional variation of Chinese food. I’m sure there is some Australian-Chinese dish not found elsewhere.

Yes, I am a fan of Australia. My wife and I considered immigrating or living in Australia for a while, it’s so much closer to Asia (by travel and time), which is a positive for us.

The glaring negative of Australia is the high cost of living relative to much of the US. Most of the positives are similar to the US, friendly people, clean, safe, high quality of life. I personally like the combination of British and Asian cultures, and I like the fact that Australia has held onto their traditions a lot more then the US.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
That’s because those are characteristics of Chinese-American food, which is it’s own regional variation of Chinese food. I’m sure there is some Australian-Chinese dish not found elsewhere.

Yes, I am a fan of Australia. My wife and I considered immigrating or living in Australia for a while, it’s so much closer to Asia (by travel and time), which is a positive for us.

The glaring negative of Australia is the high cost of living relative to much of the US. Most of the positives are similar to the US, friendly people, clean, safe, high quality of life. I personally like the combination of British and Asian cultures, and I like the fact that Australia has held onto their traditions a lot more then the US.
Holding on to traditions is just a reflection of how large a migrant and first generation population we have. Half the population was born elsewhere or had at least one parent who was, so ethnic culture is a very personal thing. It’s pretty common for families to celebrate Christmas in traditional ways, with some even doing it twice so they can also have an Orthodox celebration as well.

Not a fan of the mainland European or middle eastern strands to Australian culture?

Old 02-18-2018, 04:44 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
I've only been to Darwin and a few NT outback places, and I did like it quite a lot. I was surprised at how laid back it was. Traveling in Asia, I always thought Australian travelers were even worse than Americans, loud and obnoxious. But I could easily live in Darwin.

What struck me as odd in Darwin was how few people have a private car. There is no place to go to from Darwin, so public transport is well used for getting around locally.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:59 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I've only been to Darwin and a few NT outback places, and I did like it quite a lot. I was surprised at how laid back it was. Traveling in Asia, I always thought Australian travelers were even worse than Americans, loud and obnoxious. But I could easily live in Darwin.

What struck me as odd in Darwin was how few people have a private car. There is no place to go to from Darwin, so public transport is well used for getting around locally.
It depends on the area. Aussie tourists have a bad rep in places like Bali, but that's partially due to the number of them who go there. The same could be said of Americans in Cancun or the Carribean. Both of those are stereotypes and people will use those nationalities as placeholder names to identify the tourists in question.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Why yes indeed, I am a fan of Australia. It is my favorite country in the world and even its geographic location is a complete benefit to me, not an impediment.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Yes. But i like NZ even more
However i wouldn't say i'm exactly a 'fan', but it's more like they actually are one of those very few countries that are impossible to dislike or dismiss.

Last edited by marlaver; 02-18-2018 at 10:18 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 11:27 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Is it a country?
Nope, it doesn't exist. I'm a hologram.

Quote:

You know we have it good when "no hot dog stands" is a complaint.

Really wish they'd do something about the internet though, it's a joke. I haven't found customer care to be sub par, though if you're comparing with the likes of America where they go above and beyond due to the tipping scheme that they have, then I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand