Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:11 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,175 times

Advertisements

Since Aussiegal has the big island next door covered, I thought there might be some questions about my home land also. If so, shoot!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,076 times
I have always wanted to travel to NZ. I've heard you can't buy property if you're moving there from another country, is this true ? Are there any single men ?? I'm half kidding !

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM

Actually, there are no restrictions on foreigners buying property in NZ...one of the few countries where that is the case I believe. You are free to buy any residential property you like. NZ is currently heading toward a little bit of a property bust so prices are expected to drop by up to 30% in the next couple of years (off the back of the US subprime mortgage crisis). However interest rates are very high, around 10%.

Single men...hmmm...not sure about that one. I'll have to check with my single friends!! Kiwi men can be very *unique* especially if they are rural boys!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,850 times
Default New Zealand deserves a lttle attention

It is a country that many of us know little about.

Though, my first question is - Why are you in Hong Kong?

Anyway, perhaps you can suggest some links that you would be familiar with and would have good info about your home country...

With the current state of affairs here in the USA, some people may be interested in emigrating...Anywhere..

Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 PM

Default Info on moving to NZ

Kiwis have a tendency to end up in all corners of the globe (as do the ubiquitous Aussies). I'm here for work reasons...good salaries and next to no tax. That's so I can afford a place back home when the time comes

Here is a link for a NZ website with stuff you would need to know about moving to NZ: New Zealand Immigration - Move To NZ: Your NZ Immigration Portal

I don't know what NZ immigration policies are like at this time, but I do know NZ is crying out for skilled immigrants. You'd have to check govt websites for the particulars of what sort of skills they are after.

Sometimes NZ is also used as a 'back door' into Australia. If you have citizenship of either country you can live and work freely in the other.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,076 times
Just wondering if it's true about there being a lot of christians in NZ. Not that it matters but I'm just curious.

Is there a lot of snow ? Oh yeah, I'm a single mom, would I fit in ok ?

Thanks for all your help !

I just went to the link you provided, after reading I'm sure I would fit in. The people of NZ sound so wonderful. What a breath of fresh air.
Going to go read some more. Thanks !

Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 AM

Hi tkdmom, NZ is one of the most secular countries in the OECD. That said it is nominally christian and you will find every major christian denomination represented there (about half of NZers identify themselves as Christians). In addition there is little controversy over religion in NZ. It's pretty much a live and let live kind of place.

Snow is very regional - you will find it really only falls in the central north island (on the mountains) and in the south island also in the mountainous regions. In auckland the coldest it gets is frost on the grass (and I haven't seen that for years!) NZ's climate is temperate so there aren't too many extremes.

Single mums would fit in as anyone else who made an effort to. Again, Kiwis are pretty egalitarian and laid back. It's a diverse country so people don't really take too much notice if you are a little different. Also for kids most public schools are very good.

I was just in NZ last week and after living in HK I was amazed at how relaxed and laid back everyone was, even in the country's biggest city. I felt like I was on a summer beach holiday - it was great! Now I'm back in the big smoggy city.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 PM

36 posts, read 298,342 times
What months are the peak tourist season in NZ? I'd like to visit but I generally prefer avoiding the peak season with the most crowds. What would be the best off season time to go where the weather would still be OK, but yet not too many visitors?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
how are New Zealanders different from Australians?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea7 View Post
What months are the peak tourist season in NZ? I'd like to visit but I generally prefer avoiding the peak season with the most crowds. What would be the best off season time to go where the weather would still be OK, but yet not too many visitors?
Hi there, I guess peak season in NZ would be summer because it doesn't get too hot. However, there are very rarely crowds of people anywhere in NZ . Honestly, don't worry about crowds, it's not like visiting Europe where it's a major consideration. Best time of year weatherwise would be from Nov-April. I personally like late summer/early autumn best, it seems to be more settled (feb-apr).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand