U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2008, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
71 posts, read 139,760 times
Reputation: 28
Thanks again all...The seclusiveness is slightly intimidating, ironically, but it's also something I'm excited for given my time in Boston. While my interest at first was to get to know Australia, it has become to get to know Perth. Is a bicycle a sound way to get around? For instance, would it make sense to get one so as to take it from Murdoch to Perth? Or is that too much of a haul? I'd imagine the flatness would make cycling sensible enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Some place very cold
5,503 posts, read 13,598,094 times
Reputation: 3902
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVaccaro35 View Post
Thanks again all...The seclusiveness is slightly intimidating, ironically, but it's also something I'm excited for given my time in Boston. While my interest at first was to get to know Australia, it has become to get to know Perth. Is a bicycle a sound way to get around? For instance, would it make sense to get one so as to take it from Murdoch to Perth? Or is that too much of a haul? I'd imagine the flatness would make cycling sensible enough.
Lots of people ride bikes in Perth and there is a great cycle path that goes all the way around the Swan river. It's a great place to have a bike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 03:57 AM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,801 posts, read 4,820,334 times
Reputation: 17567
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVaccaro35 View Post
Thanks again all...The seclusiveness is slightly intimidating, ironically, but it's also something I'm excited for given my time in Boston. While my interest at first was to get to know Australia, it has become to get to know Perth. Is a bicycle a sound way to get around? For instance, would it make sense to get one so as to take it from Murdoch to Perth? Or is that too much of a haul? I'd imagine the flatness would make cycling sensible enough.
The seclusiveness shouldn't be an issue for such a temporary stay. You only notice it when you've been here for a while, or if you've got to "go back" for a quick visit, like for a funeral (heaven forbid) or something and suddenly you realise how bloody far away you are, and how long it'll take you to get there. 32 hours travel time (including all the hassle at airports) is a nightmare but you shouldn't have to do that too often, or at all, except for getting here and leaving.

And the attitude & mindset that this seclusiveness causes shouldn't bother you either since you're here temporarily and you know you'll go back to the non-seclusive world soon. The one not so paranoid of change. The one with fast, cheap broadband. The one with more choice of when you can buy groceries, etc., etc.

Have fun. Don't worry. And yes, Perth is very conducive to cycling. Very flat, great cycling paths. Just watch yourself on the roads. Unfortunately we've got a few ferals in V8s who get some sort of twisted enjoyment out of terrorising cyclists - they're the type who'd make wonderful extras if they ever decide to make the sequel to Deliverance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 AM
 
1,802 posts, read 3,105,065 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVaccaro35 View Post
Thanks again all...The seclusiveness is slightly intimidating, ironically, but it's also something I'm excited for given my time in Boston. While my interest at first was to get to know Australia, it has become to get to know Perth. Is a bicycle a sound way to get around? For instance, would it make sense to get one so as to take it from Murdoch to Perth? Or is that too much of a haul? I'd imagine the flatness would make cycling sensible enough.
I am from St. Louis and did a semester at Murdoch. I dont think you are going to have issues with seclusiveness. Perth is still a pretty good sized city with loads to do.

Make sure while you are at Murdoch you take advantage of the Northwest trip.

Out of curiosity, are you a Clark student. There were so many kids from Clark when I was at Murdoch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
71 posts, read 139,760 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I am from St. Louis and did a semester at Murdoch. I dont think you are going to have issues with seclusiveness. Perth is still a pretty good sized city with loads to do.

Make sure while you are at Murdoch you take advantage of the Northwest trip.

Out of curiosity, are you a Clark student. There were so many kids from Clark when I was at Murdoch.
I'm not a Clark student, but I do know that a friend of a friend who goes to Clark is going to Murdoch, so that trend continues apparently.

I will be PMing you at some point in the near future if that's OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 AM
 
1,802 posts, read 3,105,065 times
Reputation: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVaccaro35 View Post
I'm not a Clark student, but I do know that a friend of a friend who goes to Clark is going to Murdoch, so that trend continues apparently.

I will be PMing you at some point in the near future if that's OK.
Yep, no worries. Perth is a great place, would love to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,091 times
Reputation: 11
Adam, let us know how you got on!! Thanks, Christina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 03:18 AM
 
Location: Eastern Sydney, Australia
1,876 posts, read 1,387,563 times
Reputation: 1241
Remember that Perth is very, very isolated and much more expensive.

It is very sunny with little rains, during the summers that is, but a lot of "newer" migrants complain that Perth's too quiet/boring and around 15 years behind the more progressive states (VIC and NSW to name but two for example).

If one was to get sick of, say Adelaide, can move to another state, within the space of some hours or so, by jumping on a train or bus. Can't do this in Perth, it takes 3-4 days to GET to Adelaide from Perth.

One of my best mates hails from Perth, moved to Melbourne 21 years ago and loves it there. Wouldn't move back to Perth as he got very bored with the continous/monotonous sunny/dry weather. He loves Melbourne, though he was moaning about how dry it were over the past few years, BUT nothing would make him move back there.

My sister moved to Perth a few years ago and happily she's moving back here soon. She likes Perth but hates the ongoing (in her words) dull sunny/dry weather and is looking forward to Sydney's changeable weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 03:22 AM
 
11 posts, read 2,336 times
Reputation: 27
Once I boarded the Millenium Falcon on a special charter from Melbourne to Perfrfff, took 10 billion light years to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 07:33 AM
 
1,598 posts, read 1,579,381 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Remember that Perth is very, very isolated and much more expensive.

It is very sunny with little rains, during the summers that is, but a lot of "newer" migrants complain that Perth's too quiet/boring and around 15 years behind the more progressive states (VIC and NSW to name but two for example).

If one was to get sick of, say Adelaide, can move to another state, within the space of some hours or so, by jumping on a train or bus. Can't do this in Perth, it takes 3-4 days to GET to Adelaide from Perth.

One of my best mates hails from Perth, moved to Melbourne 21 years ago and loves it there. Wouldn't move back to Perth as he got very bored with the continous/monotonous sunny/dry weather. He loves Melbourne, though he was moaning about how dry it were over the past few years, BUT nothing would make him move back there.

My sister moved to Perth a few years ago and happily she's moving back here soon. She likes Perth but hates the ongoing (in her words) dull sunny/dry weather and is looking forward to Sydney's changeable weather
Doesn't bother me too much the weather but the limited alternatives available certainly do.
This includes a similar wave length that induces a sameness/similararity in thinking of sorts and the conservatism is not to my liking although am aware that this is very appealing for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top