U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,982,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If there had been even a few cases in NZ of it happening, then one could expect it to happen in Australia at a greater frequency, but I think the fact that it hasn't happened in NZ, is very relevant.

Canada is right next to the US, so it makes sense to be an issue for them.

Australia policy is just a bit xenophobic and paranoid -that's why NZers need a visa to go there.
The majority of Mexicans who are lodging refugee claims upon arrival in Canada come by air. While some may travel via American airports, I believe that most arrive directly from Mexico. As Mexico is, I don't know, about 2,000 km from Canada at a minimum, and as Montreal -- where most Mexican refugee claimants who arrive by air do land -- might be more like 4,000 km or more from Mexico, it isn't like these guys and gals are walking a few hundred meters across a land border.

The Pacific Ocean is a more formidable barrier, though, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no direct flights between Mexico and anywhere in Oceania. That doesn't mean that some Mexicans might not be tempted to take a long flight to Australia via somewhere else, however, if they thought they might stand a chance of being able to stay there long-term. The differential visa treatment is likely intended to discourage that.

Last edited by maclock; 08-13-2018 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:04 PM

203 posts, read 67,216 times
Quote:
If there had been even a few cases in NZ of it happening, then one could expect it to happen in Australia at a greater frequency, but I think the fact that it hasn't happened in NZ, is very relevant.

Canada is right next to the US, so it makes sense to be an issue for them.

Australia policy is just a bit xenophobic and paranoid -that's why NZers need a visa to go there.
I believe it was the Howard government created this, and to deport NZ citizens. It was never like that before (I don't think).

Old 08-13-2018, 07:10 PM

16,560 posts, read 12,956,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I believe it was the Howard government created this, and to deport NZ citizens. It was never like that before (I don't think).
It kind of feels like a dying relationship to me, and certainly not a reciprocal one - there won't be any Aussies deported from NZ for belonging to a gang 20 years ago, or Aussies not being able to claim benefits.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:51 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Even from countries which are well developed and have visa free access to New Zealand and EU: Mexico, Chile, Argentina, and Brazil.

I know it could possibly be about drugs and quarantine reasons but that does not explain why New Zealand (which has strict quarantine customs as well) lets them come in visa free for tourism while Australia lets a good number of developed Asian countries to come in despite bringing traditional herbal medicine which could be hazardous for the ecosystem in Australia.

Reasons?
Low risk countries have simplified visa requirements that are usually auto granted. Medium and high risk countries are processed manually. That includes citizens of Eastern Europe who are issued eVisitor visas like the rest of the EU. They're not worried about people claiming asylum, they are worried about people overstaying visas.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:53 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,067,115 times
Quote:

The visa is issued on arrival assuming the applicant passes character checks. I wouldn't call it a "visa" more a formality.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 PM

2,889 posts, read 5,159,101 times
Quote:
Even from countries which are well developed and have visa free access to New Zealand and EU: Mexico, Chile, Argentina, and Brazil.

Reasons?
In any given country, developed or not, there are going to be those who would be better off in a different country. These are the ones likely to overstay visas.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 PM

2,262 posts, read 3,065,451 times
Aussie love of rules and bureaucracy for starters. If it was regional one would suspect due to over stayers, but hardly that, when most every nationality requires one. Visa's required on nationals of top tourist nations has long been cited as impacting tourist growth. Especially when other nations do not require the same. I suppose online visa's for some, has helped in this to some degree.

South/Central America just didn't feature very strongly with limited exchange of people in the past. This has changed over the past decade or so of course, with Brazilian born featuring strongly in demographic growth statistics, along with Colombians so times are a changing. The South American market for Australian education is ever growing. Many do in fact hope to get PR. I personally have noted the increase of Spanish and Portuguese on the streets over recent times. Many younger folk working as waiters and the like from Brazil, Peru and Colombia especially.
A quite lively addition to the increasingly multicultural scene.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 AM

471 posts, read 262,870 times
Quote:
Yet, New Zealand does not have that fear...and it has strict quarantine customs. And is over stay really an issue from Mexicans? In America, yeah because it is closer but it does not seem to be an issue at the EU and New Zealand (due to distance, most likely).

I only asked this because I am Mexican-American and I have relatives who live in Mexico and are Mexican nationals and they cannot visit Australia without a visa but can visit New Zealand.
Why should NZ be a benchmark against which we should gauge appropriateness of policy? Because it is nearby?

Old 08-14-2018, 01:15 PM

540 posts, read 544,613 times
Australia has had a fairly strict visa policy across the board (stricter than NZ) since at least the early 90s. The biggest groups of overstayers are those from Malaysia, China and the US, followed by the UK, Indonesia and India.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 AM

942 posts, read 582,761 times
Quote:
It kind of feels like a dying relationship to me, and certainly not a reciprocal one - there won't be any Aussies deported from NZ for belonging to a gang 20 years ago, or Aussies not being able to claim benefits.
A dying relationship or just need for some perspectives to be recalibrated to better fit with the realities of how different the two nations are in a lot of ways, particularly global outlook and sense of place in the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or