U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 06:06 PM

16,542 posts, read 12,940,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
They'd certainly get you labelled a left winger in Australia. A politician wanting to discuss affordable housing or similar issues here would most likely choose a very different ideological starting point and rhetoric.
Australian politics is just more volatile.

Australia has nothing to teach NZ, as far as right wing economic policies go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 06:23 PM

941 posts, read 580,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It depends how you assess volatility. In terms of government policy and governance over the last few decades, NZ had more substantial changes of direction than has Australia.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:27 PM

16,542 posts, read 12,940,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
It depends how you assess volatility. In terms of government policy and governance over the last few decades, NZ had more substantial changes of direction than has Australia.
Volatility in terms of rhetoric -Adern's comments are within context, so didn't really cause a stir here.

Changes of direction are just pragmatism, and are in response to existing policies, not underlying ideological belief.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:00 AM
FBF FBF started this thread

570 posts, read 661,487 times
Based on my perception of this post and friends who lived on both Australia and New Zealand: it would appear that New Zealand is less racist (at least by a little bit) compared to Australia. My Mexican friends (not family) have been mistaken as Paki or Middle Eastern by Australians constantly and made racial slurs toward them. Whereas in New Zealand, hardly any or at least mistaken as being part Maori.

Which may explain in small part why Australia is reluctant to issue ETA to Latin American countries (at least, in part) due to perception of them all still being poor and drug smugglers. Casual racist remarks were more common in Australia compared to New Zealand. Both countries are strict with customs and quarantine, however.

Hardly any Mexicans in New Zealand or Australia, though. So I do not buy it being a migrant issue since it is so far away and it has not happened in New Zealand despite having tourist visa free access.

So yeah, my Mexican family will be visiting New Zealand....I will still go visit Australia next year since I have a American passport, as well.

Last edited by FBF; 08-26-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 03:10 AM

7 posts, read 2,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Australia has nothing to teach NZ, as far as right wing economic policies go.
Australian politics is divided and divisive in the same way US politics is.

It is fractured and split. We only have 25 million people but we're already on our way for the inability to see eye to eye, and an extreme radical left or right wing who cannot accept alternative or opposing views to their own. It's populist politics all over again.

Something has happened to the Western world in the last 30 years, especially AUS and the USA, and I fear it can be summed up in one word: stupidity. Arrogance, ignorance and extreme narcissism (absorption and lack of empathy) also played a big role in the problems we are seeing in today's world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or