Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:12 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Most Aussies wouldn't be phased or concerned in the least if NZ reduced entitlements to non-PR Aussies living in NZ. They'd probably be surprised to hear that they'd currently be entitled to welfare without first being granted PR status.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
How can it be irrelevant? It's the social context within which governments make decisions, and NZ is more of a left leaning social welfare state. Most Aussies wouldn't be phased or concerned in the least if NZ reduced entitlements to non-PR Aussies living in NZ. They'd probably be surprised to hear that they'd currently be entitled to welfare without first being granted PR status.

International relations between two countries defined principally by non PRs access to welfare is a pretty hollow relationship. Aren't issues like trade, investment, security and defence, or access to labour markets far more significant?
Enough with the Marxist manifesto stuff! It's the Kiwi sense of a "fair go" at play here -any Australian living and paying taxes in NZ for twenty years, would receive flood damage assistance, like anyone else. That's just one example.

That's no longer the Australian way though.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
No, it implies that the average NZer has lived or worked in Australia at some point. I could be wrong, but if 15% of the NZ population currently live in Australia it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to assume that about half the population have lived and/or worked in AU at some point.

I understand that your complaint is that it's not equal, but you're relying on rights that Australians don't exercise. It's a political issue in NZ because such a substantial portion of the population live, or have lived, in Australia. It's a non-event in Australia because so few Australians exercise that right. If it were to be taken away tomorrow which country would lose more? NZ gets access to a much larger job market with higher wages. Those are pretty good tangible benefits.
Australia would lose more - It takes more from the NZ economy, than NZ takes from Australia's economy..

Old 08-21-2018, 12:54 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Australia would lose more - It takes more from the NZ economy, than NZ takes from Australia's economy..
More what? People?

Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 AM

622 posts, read 427,618 times
I know..I know, a Mexican raieped your dawg and you vote Trumph

Old 08-21-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
More what? People?
People and money -NZers take their wealth to Australia, and can pay taxes for many years, without being able to claim benefits, or receive assistance when they need it.

Definitely a win for Australia.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:20 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
If NZ wants to ditch the TransTasman treaty and sign on with Canada instead, I would be for it It looks as though Australia is moving in the wrong direction socially for my tastes from what I am reading on here.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:57 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If NZ wants to ditch the TransTasman treaty and sign on with Canada instead, I would be for it It looks as though Australia is moving in the wrong direction socially for my tastes from what I am reading on here.
That is a good idea. Australia is after all like Trump USA and NZ is like Canada.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
That is a good idea. Australia is after all like Trump USA and NZ is like Canada.
I wouldn't go that far but it seems at least presently and in general that the NZ and Canadian governments seem more ideologically aligned.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:24 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wouldn't go that far but it seems at least presently and in general that the NZ and Canadian governments seem more ideologically aligned.
Not really. We have Ardern-light in Canada, if you can even call Trudeau that. For my taste, Trudeau is bad enough. Ardern, on the other hand, is a moonbat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand