U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM
FBF FBF started this thread

570 posts, read 661,280 times

Advertisements

Even from countries which are well developed and have visa free access to New Zealand and EU: Mexico, Chile, Argentina, and Brazil.

I know it could possibly be about drugs and quarantine reasons but that does not explain why New Zealand (which has strict quarantine customs as well) lets them come in visa free for tourism while Australia lets a good number of developed Asian countries to come in despite bringing traditional herbal medicine which could be hazardous for the ecosystem in Australia.

Reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 02:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,981,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Even from countries which are well developed and have visa free access to New Zealand and EU: Mexico, Chile, Argentina, and Brazil.

I know it could possibly be about drugs and quarantine reasons but that does not explain why New Zealand (which has strict quarantine customs as well) lets them come in visa free for tourism while Australia lets a good number of developed Asian countries to come in despite bringing traditional herbal medicine which could be hazardous for the ecosystem in Australia.

Reasons?
Because some of the nationals of these countries will overstay on their tourist visas and will not leave. That's my suspicion.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 PM

622 posts, read 227,178 times
On paper, Mexico may be considered *developed*, but go into the country and it doesn't take long to see many Third-World-like, underdevelopment-related "qualities".

Why visas? Probably similar reason as in the U.S.... so they don't end up in the country living and working illegally for decades, having children who qualify for food stamps and other governmental assistance... Sanctuary-state California has the highest poverty rate in the U.S. Go to certain cities in the Central Valley and you are basically going to Mexico (run-down locales, poorly maintained homes, trash [old cars, refrigerators, dead dogs] in the yards, streets, etc.). BTW, the U.S. now allows Chileans to come to the country without a visa I believe (Chile is considered--by American authorities--to be a place Chileans do not want to leave permanently, unlike, say, Honduras).

Drugs may be a reason, too, as you say. Drug-running isn't an unknown in Latin America. Plenty come into the U.S. under cover from south of the border. Unfortunately, it is a lucrative trade for many in Ibero-America.

Last edited by 2ner; 08-13-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 PM
FBF FBF started this thread

570 posts, read 661,280 times
Yet, New Zealand does not have that fear...and it has strict quarantine customs. And is over stay really an issue from Mexicans? In America, yeah because it is closer but it does not seem to be an issue at the EU and New Zealand (due to distance, most likely).

I only asked this because I am Mexican-American and I have relatives who live in Mexico and are Mexican nationals and they cannot visit Australia without a visa but can visit New Zealand.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 PM

When Canada imposed and then for political reasons lifted a visa requirement for Mexican nationals in recent years, this was the result. Canada, while not as far away from Mexico as Australia, is hardly next door to Mexico, either.
Mexico again among Canada’s top sources of refugee claims after visa requirement lifted
As for New Zealand, Mexican nationals might not see it as being as big of an opportunity as Australia and/or the Kiwis are too politically correct to contemplate imposing a visa requirement.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:31 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,287,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post

Reasons?
I have no idea, even people from the likes of the Czech republic, Croatia an Hungary need visas to get in. Which of course are not known drug producing countries.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:37 PM

16,530 posts, read 12,935,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
When Canada imposed and then for political reasons lifted a visa requirement for Mexican nationals in recent years, this was the result. Canada, while not as far away from Mexico as Australia, is hardly next door to Mexico, either.
Mexico again among Canada’s top sources of refugee claims after visa requirement lifted
As for New Zealand, Mexican nationals might not see it as being as big of an opportunity as Australia and/or the Kiwis are too politically correct to contemplate imposing a visa requirement.
Nothing to do with political correctness. Australians don't need a visa to come to NZ, but NZers need a visa to go to Australia -it's an Australian thing, perhaps a bit of xenophobia and paranoia.

Mexicans aren't seen as bean pickers looking to reside in NZ illegally -the only ones I've met here, don't seem to be short of money or skills.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Mexicans aren't seen as bean pickers looking to reside in NZ illegally -the only ones I've met here, don't seem to be short of money or skills.
The Aussies are likely worried that the Canadian experience might be something that they could face as well -- that the Mexicans could arrive as tourists without visas (potential hurdle removed) and then try to lodge a refugee claim, which will almost certainly be rejected, while in country.

Canadians have to get e-visas in advance of boarding flights to Australia. I don't know if that's the same kind of visa these Central and South American people have to get, but if it is, then they should take no offense.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:46 PM

16,530 posts, read 12,935,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
The Aussies are likely worried that the Canadian experience might be something that they could face as well -- that the Mexicans could arrive as tourists without visas (potential hurdle removed) and then try to lodge a refugee claim, which will almost certainly be rejected, while in country.
I haven't heard of that happening in NZ - if it happened in Australia, it wouldn't likely be on any scale worth worrying about.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:52 PM

A single instance of abuse is one too many. Western countries have standards and laws, which should be applied and enforced, for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or