U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 AM

421 posts, read 241,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo_Butterfly View Post
Which is the best city in your opinion?
Melbourne.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 06:04 AM

98 posts, read 105,455 times
No way, not even close.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:03 PM

1,347 posts, read 556,396 times
The best in the land down under?

Old 09-08-2018, 09:40 PM

9,669 posts, read 10,975,575 times
Sydney is awesome except the cost of living is generally too high in my opinion. Better have a big bank account to live there.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:20 PM

2,124 posts, read 2,957,138 times
I think it is agreed that the cost over recent decades, has become far too exorbitant in Sydney, but even without that it would not be the worlds top city. It doesn't have the breath to warrant such a label, no reason why it should of course, just replying to the question posed.
Perhaps we need to define what makes the 'top world city' to become clear to what we refer? I suspect you'll get different answers with some 'personal' preferences out riding generally accepted terms.
I think it is generally agreed that there are two Alpha 'world' cities, those being London and New York. A few more are knocking on the door, like Tokyo and Shanghai but probably more in the commercial sense than overall ticking all boxes.
Without the harbour views how would Sydney compare? In the English speaking world, there is Vancouver, rating highly in the 'geographic sense' but probably without the breath of the 'total urban' experience which to my mind is found elsewhere in the world. In the Australian context Sydney is likely the international face of Australia, increasingly outward looking, but probably not inclusive enough where as Melbourne attempts to make up for its less attractive geographic location by being more inclusive, 'more arty' less stiff, to which it has been rather successful at reinventing itself of the past few decades. If it can retain that 'sense' and 'feel' or success will prove a double edged sword remains to be seen.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:47 AM

6 posts, read 1,572 times
even i dont no exactly. but may not i think so.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:02 PM

10,329 posts, read 7,229,362 times
42nd Street Manhattan NYC

Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 PM

I glimpsed an article in the journal, The Australian, yesterday, that conceded Sydney is not in the first rank cities. (rather obvious, I'd have thought) While it scored highly on certain aspects, lack of cultural breath and the 'lock out' laws, which has had a devastating impact on night life, pull the score down.

The reasons for the 'lock out' (in admission to licensed premises after a certain time) was brought about in order to attempt to cut the number of violent assaults in the city. Such measures sound very authoritarian in many European eyes. But begs the question, why does Sydney have so many physical assaults in the first place that such extreme action was deemed necessary?
The 'boring' quality of Sydney nightlife, apparently had an impact with inability to recruit IT staff from Europe a few years ago.
An interesting city is many faceted of course, which has been my argument all along why Sydney doesn't make the grade.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Obviously too subjective, let alone difficult to determine what the best city in Australia is, let alone the world. Still no one come up with criteria to assist in a final call.

OP not returned to declare why they put forward such a proposition. One assumes, OP, held Sydney in high regard as to ask such a question? I've no idea why Sydney would be put forward as a prime candidate. It has beaches and passable weather. I enjoy the multi cultural feel of certain suburbs, but hardly unique in being along in that aspect. Just what makes Sydney 'awesome' as one peep mentioned? I've never found it so, without taking away certain credits as already mentioned. Yes the harbour is magnificent. But so is Rio. Just what/where is this awesomeness?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:08 PM

55 posts, read 20,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Obviously too subjective, let alone difficult to determine what the best city in Australia is, let alone the world. Still no one come up with criteria to assist in a final call.

OP not returned to declare why they put forward such a proposition. One assumes, OP, held Sydney in high regard as to ask such a question? I've no idea why Sydney would be put forward as a prime candidate. It has beaches and passable weather. I enjoy the multi cultural feel of certain suburbs, but hardly unique in being along in that aspect. Just what makes Sydney 'awesome' as one peep mentioned? I've never found it so, without taking away certain credits as already mentioned. Yes the harbour is magnificent. But so is Rio. Just what/where is this awesomeness?
I was just going by the lists made by large publications and media outlets.
Although I have noticed Melbourne being regarded as Australia's best city in some publications as well.

Aesthetically, I think Syndey looks the best (in photographs).
Brisbane might be second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand