U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:26 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,700,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
That is true. Unfortunately, Australia still plans its public transport for cities than have 2m not 5m+; the light rail being a great example of how stupid planning is in Sydney. High speed rail running from Newcastle to Canberra will fix affordability. At least they're building a metro.
They've been talking about that for 20 years, and it still hasn't happened.
We have some friends in the Southern Highlands, which is now like a satellite area for Sydney, and they were talking about that 20 years ago with great optimism. (no doubt for house prices too)
Where we live, just west of Newcastle, would also make a huge difference, as Newcastle is just that bit too far to commute to Sydney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 07:52 PM

2,124 posts, read 2,962,019 times
I'm afraid talk all too common in Australia around items of infrastructure. They've been talking of extended rail links here in Perth for yonks, spending up big on the planning stage, then deferring when in power.

As I mentioned earlier, the Lib's are not naturally predisposed to rail infrastructure due to on going costs, which mean can never be ran at a profit, yet remain affordable to commuters.

The longer deferred though will hardly get cheaper. Good transport links are part and parcel of a successful city and essential.

I suppose a negative is the increase in housing prices close to transport nodes. Meaning, potentially poorer folk, may find themselves, ever further placed, due to cost, in far out no man's lands. Often just the people whom would benefit from transport such as rail.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:25 AM

4,618 posts, read 1,156,512 times
NYC
Los Angeles
London
Bangkok

Just to name a few I would consider best in the world

Old 09-16-2018, 10:59 AM

16,572 posts, read 16,251,215 times
Melbourne is the local favorite in Australia these days. Sydney is still nice, but it's old news.

My pick for the best city in the world would be Vancouver... I don't like the weather, but everything else is perfect.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:30 PM

My view is Melbourne has likely 'tanked it', for a long time it has regarded itself as the 'cool' city of OZ, I guess with limited competition, as Sydney is too business inclined to really compete, with Brisbane coming up way behind as a possible future contender.

Melbourne has somewhat 'milked' the most liveable city' award for own PR, obviously, even though result had nothing to do with the average Melbournian, it was conflated to appear so.

Vancouver is a fine city, but unaffordable for most , with serious social problems from my observation. Has that improved?
No denying layout and geographic features are top drawer quality, weather still warmer than elsewhere in Canada, just the persistent rain a bit of an issue. But no different to Hamburg, in Germany, one of my favourite cities and besides nowhere is going to tick every box.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 AM

9,674 posts, read 10,993,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
My view is Melbourne has likely 'tanked it', for a long time it has regarded itself as the 'cool' city of OZ, I guess with limited competition, as Sydney is too business inclined to really compete, with Brisbane coming up way behind as a possible future contender.

Melbourne has somewhat 'milked' the most liveable city' award for own PR, obviously, even though result had nothing to do with the average Melbournian, it was conflated to appear so.

Vancouver is a fine city, but unaffordable for most , with serious social problems from my observation. Has that improved?
No denying layout and geographic features are top drawer quality, weather still warmer than elsewhere in Canada, just the persistent rain a bit of an issue. But no different to Hamburg, in Germany, one of my favourite cities and besides nowhere is going to tick every box.
Yes there is still a fairly large homeless problem in Vancouver and many of them still seem to congregate in the downtown east side of Vancouver. Many services like drug injection sites for the addicts as well as soup kitchens have opened up in this area for them. It seems to attract a lot of homeless relative to its size due to relatively mild winters compared to elsewhere in Canada. It means they will have a lower chance of freezing to death compared to elsewhere.
Vancouver is a great place to live but like you said does have affordability and some social problems.
It seems Australian cities like Sydney and Melboune deal better with homelessness than cities like Vancouver as I didn't really notice it while I was there but could exist in other neighborhoods I haven't visited or perhaps even got worse since I last went.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:56 PM

11,389 posts, read 7,847,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes there is still a fairly large homeless problem in Vancouver and many of them still seem to congregate in the downtown east side of Vancouver. Many services like drug injection sites for the addicts as well as soup kitchens have opened up in this area for them. It seems to attract a lot of homeless relative to its size due to relatively mild winters compared to elsewhere in Canada. It means they will have a lower chance of freezing to death compared to elsewhere.
Vancouver is a great place to live but like you said does have affordability and some social problems.
It seems Australian cities like Sydney and Melboune deal better with homelessness than cities like Vancouver as I didn't really notice it while I was there but could exist in other neighborhoods I haven't visited or perhaps even got worse since I last went.
I can't comment on Melbourne since I've never been, but Vancouver's homeless population does concentrate between two tourist neighbourhoods, Gastown and Chinatown. So my guess it's a lot more visible than other places.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Yes indeed. I know the weather is attractive to homeless folk through out the country to head to Vancouver. Perhaps laws are more tolerant and accommodating? No idea, just guessing.
I suppose similar in far northern Australia, where a lot head for places like Cairns during winter, but more to rooming houses from my observation, which was quite some years ago.

It does seem different in Sydney, although the far greater size and spread may disguise the actual problem to a large extent. Visible homeless have dramatically increased in number in Perth centre over recent times, that I can say.

I have a feeling we are yet to fully experience the fall out from built up housing stress though.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:57 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,912,548 times
Sydney is a wonderful city, but I am extremely wary of any city's claim to be the NO. 1 in the world. there are so many ways to think about this which makes it impossible to choose only 1.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:00 AM

Quote:
My friend lasted a little less than three years and pulled the rug on Vancouver,. heading back to Europe.
(reason I visited) One principle reason, at least in my estimation, was the difficulty in 'connecting' there.
I think exactly the same result, would have been likely in Sydney. Folk tend to be self absorbed, not interested much in others, but hardly Sydney alone. I think you'll find this to greater or lesser extent most everywhere in Australia, perhaps unless very young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand