U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:37 AM

2,558 posts, read 1,696,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
My friend lasted a little less than three years and pulled the rug on Vancouver,. heading back to Europe.
(reason I visited) One principle reason, at least in my estimation, was the difficulty in 'connecting' there.
I think exactly the same result, would have been likely in Sydney. Folk tend to be self absorbed, not interested much in others, but hardly Sydney alone. I think you'll find this to greater or lesser extent most everywhere in Australia, perhaps unless very young.
Sydney definitely is like that, and probably worse than most cities, but regional towns also have their own problems as well, and can be quite parochial.
It's pretty hard starting up anywhere afresh., unless you are young, or have young kids etc (through schools and the like).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 02:42 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,955,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Sydney definitely is like that, and probably worse than most cities, but regional towns also have their own problems as well, and can be quite parochial.
It's pretty hard starting up anywhere afresh., unless you are young, or have young kids etc (through schools and the like).
I agree with friend formally living in Vancouver, more stimulation and interesting people that actually enjoying to converse in Europe. Not that it is always easy there either, but more opportunities especially in the bigger cities, with such a sway of people coming and going from around the world.

I agree living in a regional city in WA had some advantages, but too parochial by far, in the main. True the older we get the harder we will likely find it. Both Canada and Australia are somewhat alike with the difficulties referred to. I believe New Zealand is not much better.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:00 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Sydney definitely is like that, and probably worse than most cities
Most cities where? On the sliding scale I don't find Sydney any better or worse in that regard, and for a city its size it's relatively friendly and low in violent crime.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:55 AM

Australia rates high in violent assault on the person. No doubt a lot alcohol induced violence. I don't personally find Sydney, a particularly intimidating place to be, but probably largely depends on location and time of day you find yourself out and about. Sure the PR obviously attempts to paint a rosy picture, but still good to view crime has apparently declined.

I don't know too many that would claim Sydney a friendly city, outside of tourists, perhaps that it is a friendly city. Nothing can excuse the cost and back to the Op question, no Sydney is somewhat removed from being Number Uno city........

Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,011,327 times
Quote:

I don't know too many that would claim Sydney a friendly city

I do. As long as you're not on the road. Most aggressive drivers anywhere.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 PM

248 posts, read 181,413 times
Quote:
My friend lasted a little less than three years and pulled the rug on Vancouver,. heading back to Europe.
(reason I visited) One principle reason, at least in my estimation, was the difficulty in 'connecting' there.
I think exactly the same result, would have been likely in Sydney. Folk tend to be self absorbed, not interested much in others, but hardly Sydney alone. I think you'll find this to greater or lesser extent most everywhere in Australia, perhaps unless very young.
I lived in Sydney for almost two years. It was quite a lonely place as friendships were quite superficial. Body image is everything there (like Miami or Los Angeles). Easier time making a lasting friendship in Taiwan or parts of Europe, provided you're a decent and loving human being.

Just my two cents. Not that you cannot make a genuine friend in Australia or New Zealand.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
I lived in Sydney for almost two years. It was quite a lonely place as friendships were quite superficial. Body image is everything there (like Miami or Los Angeles). Easier time making a lasting friendship in Taiwan or parts of Europe, provided you're a decent and loving human being.

Just my two cents. Not that you cannot make a genuine friend in Australia or New Zealand.
Indeed. But hardly confined to Sydney alone. Relationships generally in Australia, are somewhat 'odd', IMO, regardless of gender and possibly age. Most will likely miss their 'European' connections for real contact and discussion. Emotional maturity in discussing 'related' issues seems to by pass the average Aussie bloke completely. The women are somewhat hard to get to first base on, as male/female relations are very undeveloped, in the main as well.
North Americans may find more in common, although perhaps the roughness on one side, or the introversion on the other may be taxing for some.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:22 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
IMO, no, even though I did enjoy my time living in Sydney. There are numerous cities that I'd put above Sydney, including many in the USA and within Europe.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
IMO, no, even though I did enjoy my time living in Sydney. There are numerous cities that I'd put above Sydney, including many in the USA and within Europe.
I enjoyed living there as well to some degree, but I have no desire to return. That chapter of life is way over.

Aussies remind of Americans in many ways; but there are also a few differences that you cannot see until you start living there for a while. After about one year and half, I got a good taste of the culture, and thus ready to head back home.

Aussies don't brag like Americans. That's one thing I found refreshing, but that's about...

They're highly anti-intellectual (reminds me of a lot of small-town America). Conversations are super shallow: weather, sport and beer. Don't forget: don't whinge, and pretend life is perfect all day and every day.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Indeed. But hardly confined to Sydney alone. Relationships generally in Australia, are somewhat 'odd', IMO, regardless of gender and possibly age. Most will likely miss their 'European' connections for real contact and discussion. Emotional maturity in discussing 'related' issues seems to by pass the average Aussie bloke completely. The women are somewhat hard to get to first base on, as male/female relations are very undeveloped, in the main as well.
North Americans may find more in common, although perhaps the roughness on one side, or the introversion on the other may be taxing for some.
I am forced to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand