U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 AM

113 posts, read 66,217 times

Advertisements

As someone new to Australia I've googled a lot to get to know the country. I've come across lots of ratings, polls and questions about the best Australian state capital, but not nearly as much about the states as such. I do know that most people live in the state capitals and that most of life in Australia circles around them, but I would like to know what you think about the states as such.

As I migrated to Perth myself I found great beaches, great weather and a fun outdoorsy city. WA is huge, beautiful but pretty empty. I know that Queensland and NSW are the only states with life beyond the capitals, that SA is similar to WA and that NT is pretty crazy. I wonder which state you consider to best considering:

Weather
Beaches
Natural landscape/beauty
Cities/towns
Culture
Flora/Fauna
Things to do (theme parks, music scene etc.)
Politics/government/system
People
Economy
State capital

So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 10:45 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,541,840 times
I am partial to Victoria! Although it does not have certain things - Great Barrier Reef, tropical jungles, etc. What I like about it is that it is compact enough to make access to various types of attractions and activities easily accessible for visitors who are running on a limited amount of time.

Plus Melbourne is still my favourite Aussie city!

Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 PM

3,428 posts, read 5,329,565 times
I'd go for New South Wales myself, a bit of everything.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:53 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,785,421 times
Probably NSW overall, despite obvious bias, for having diverse landscapes and climates from the snow to the subtropical northeast, and plenty of activity.
Qld probably has the highest percentage of people living outside of the state capital though, and is vast with plenty of coastline, and I prefer Brisbane to Sydney as a user friendly city.
It also has the Gold Coast, a signature settlement with plenty of theme parks.
My wife just came back from Port Douglas north of Cairns, and is still raving about it.
All of the states have life outside of the capitals though.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 PM

6,804 posts, read 3,254,506 times
I like Tasmanian nature, it's probably the most untouched. Victoria and New South Wales definitely have the most diversity in nature, and the QLD coastline is wonderful.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM

23 posts, read 6,280 times
Like jgtheone said, Tassie is probably my highlight. Though Melbourne is still my favourite city...

But yeah, Tassie's countryside / nature is gorgeous. I've often heard it compared to New Zealand, and while it falls a little short, it's definitely come the closest of the places I've visited. Like, look at this place! https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com...o-to-tasmania/

I really do need to get back there one of these days...

Old 02-26-2019, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 270 times
Hi Friends, I am eagerly waiting for such a most beautiful country in the world that's an Australia. In my personal opinion about Australia one of the most beautiful place is a Melbourne cricket ground because the biggest cricket stadium in the world, basically I completely addicted for cricket. This the main reason to visit the Australia country, and one more reason to visit the Australia countries that is one of the finest event organizers will conduct an[SPOILER= [url]https://conferencenext.com/conferences/australia][/url] upcoming International Conferences in Australia 2019 [/spoiler].

Old 02-26-2019, 04:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,116,513 times
No one state provides all things. Victoria for its rather, in Australian terms, compact nature. Melbourne, although somewhat over rated probably remains my favourite Australian capital city.

WA purely for its Kimberley region, among the best locations to visit and tour in Australia, IMO. But also the lovely South Coast of the State. The Rainbow Coast, lives up to its name, but has reminders of West Coast of Ireland, Cornwall in Southern England, or indeed parts of the Brittany coast in France. (great beaches)

NT, for somewhere uniquely Australian, but Asian and Aboriginal fusion that's the place. I have a hot/cold relation with this place. Love the nature, diversity, ease to get places, but not the expense, the humidity at times, bit Bogan (well quite) in many places, some racial issues, high crime, but over looking that , as the slogan goes, 'There's nowhere in Australia, quite like The Territory'.

QLD. Yep. Lived in FNQ in Cairns/ Townsville/Tully/Innisfail again liked and if work had turned out, would have remained, but although enjoyed very much the city, in inability to obtain, anything in employment, beyond the entry level clouded my perceptions.

Never been to Brisbane so can't comment further.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:59 PM

1,000 posts, read 603,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherlockCombs View Post
Like jgtheone said, Tassie is probably my highlight. Though Melbourne is still my favourite city...

But yeah, Tassie's countryside / nature is gorgeous. I've often heard it compared to New Zealand, and while it falls a little short, it's definitely come the closest of the places I've visited. Like, look at this place! https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com...o-to-tasmania/

I really do need to get back there one of these days...

They missed out on the really beautiful parts of the state, the central highlands and South West coast.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:41 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,086,482 times
New South Wales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or