U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,972,192 times

Advertisements

I think it far from obvious in Australia, Kiwi accents, unless of course pronounced such as obvious examples already given. Far from all have a 'clipped' sound, perhaps longer here, less likely to be at all clear in many cases, unless they tell you so.
Some do sound a little like a 'better' spoken Australian accent. I did find it far easier in New Zealand to spot the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 PM

15 posts, read 2,649 times
I was born / grew up in Australia, though my parents were from New Zealand.

The entire time I spent in Australia, everyone thought I had a Kiwi accent.

Move to New Zealand and the first thing I hear? 'Oh, is that an Aussie accent'?

You just can't win haha

Old 10-21-2018, 02:23 AM

2,562 posts, read 1,708,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Been to both numerous times and still can't differentiate the accents.
The South African accent is similar but easier to recognize.
Very occasionally I still have to listen hard for the difference between an SA and Kiwi accent, as they talk in a similar lower tone, but once a few vowels come out it is normally fairly obvious then.
The water also gets muddied the longer someone has been in Australia and/or at what age they came here as well, as the original accents become weaker, no matter what they were initially.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 522,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Been to both numerous times and still can't differentiate the accents.
The South African accent is similar but easier to recognize.
I hope that Iíve misunderstood you, the Aussie and Kiwi accents have some similarity, but enough differences to make it obvious that they are two slightly different accents.
The Afrikaaner accent, to me at least, bears no likeness whatsoever to the Aussie/Kiwi ones.
Itís as different to my ears as an Illinois accent is to one from Louisiana.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:28 AM

6,784 posts, read 3,114,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherlockCombs View Post

You just can't win haha
Obviously ended up in the middle there lol. I had a european influenced accent for a while as a kid as I was raised by grandparents who arrived by boat to Australia in the 70s but it has mellowed out to a general urban australian accent.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:34 PM

8,012 posts, read 2,720,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherlockCombs View Post

You just can't win haha

I grew up in England, in a part of Surrey which was 'country' at the time, but is now an outer area of London. I didn't speak like the Queen, but not like a Londoner either. I came to Australia nearly 50 years ago as a 20-year-old.

In spite of using Aussie words and phrases and having lived here nearly 50 years, every new person I meet tells me I still sound English. Yet whenever I visit my mother, who is still in England, she complains about my "awful Australian accent"! She's been complaining about it since my first visit back in 1973!

Back on topic - if you want to find out if someone is an Aussie or a Kiwi, ask them to say the word "sex". Kiwis don't have sex, they have six.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:47 PM

328 posts, read 113,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

I grew up in England, in a part of Surrey which was 'country' at the time, but is now an outer area of London. I didn't speak like the Queen, but not like a Londoner either. I came to Australia nearly 50 years ago as a 20-year-old.

In spite of using Aussie words and phrases and having lived here nearly 50 years, every new person I meet tells me I still sound English. Yet whenever I visit my mother, who is still in England, she complains about my "awful Australian accent"! She's been complaining about it since my first visit back in 1973!

Back on topic - if you want to find out if someone is an Aussie or a Kiwi, ask them to say the word "sex". Kiwis don't have sex, they have six.
Where I was teaching we had a Kiwi in charge of sport. So on Monday mornings she would get up and announce the Year Six results. And they would all giggle every week as it certainly sounded like Year Sex. They must reverse the pronunciations!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:00 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,972,192 times
Asking people to say sex, I expect could land one up in a bit of bother. Just goes to show though, the difference is hardly great. The same few examples tend to be used as examples with consistency.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:22 PM

6,770 posts, read 7,520,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I have heard from people from both countries that their accents are different, but as an American who isn’t used to it, it’s hard to tell. Is it a subtle difference like how American vs Canadian accents are?
think of it this way

kiwis pronounce the letter I as U so the word this sounds like thus

kiwis pronounce the letter E as I so the word ten sounds like tin

aussies dont do that

other than that , quite similar but not as similar as american and canadian accents .

Old 10-28-2018, 04:24 PM

6,770 posts, read 7,520,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I have noticed that the Kiwi accent is tronger in the South Island. I had trouble understanding some people who shared a tour with us and they were from a rural town in the south.

The classic difference is illustrated by the Kiwis saying fush and chips, not fish and chips.

But, yes, I tend to confuse American and Canadian accents, especially when the Americans are from somewhere like Maine.

You know it is quite remarkable that the accents from Perth to Auckland are remarkably similar as that is an enormous distance. I am not sure how that came to be.
my impression having lived and worked there was that the kiwi accent is stronger in the north island as that is where most maoris live , maoris have their own accent and its very strong .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or