U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 02:43 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,290,965 times

Advertisements

I have heard from people from both countries that their accents are different, but as an American who isn’t used to it, it’s hard to tell. Is it a subtle difference like how American vs Canadian accents are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:18 PM

2,562 posts, read 1,708,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I have heard from people from both countries that their accents are different, but as an American who isn’t used to it, it’s hard to tell. Is it a subtle difference like how American vs Canadian accents are?
It is very obvious to Australians the Kiwi accent, and no doubt vice versa.
It is mainly in the pronunciation of the vowels.
Canadian accents sound like a watered down American accent, and hard for us to discern as well.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM

328 posts, read 113,243 times
I have noticed that the Kiwi accent is tronger in the South Island. I had trouble understanding some people who shared a tour with us and they were from a rural town in the south.

The classic difference is illustrated by the Kiwis saying fush and chips, not fish and chips.

But, yes, I tend to confuse American and Canadian accents, especially when the Americans are from somewhere like Maine.

You know it is quite remarkable that the accents from Perth to Auckland are remarkably similar as that is an enormous distance. I am not sure how that came to be.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:33 PM

126 posts, read 35,662 times
I've been several times to Australia, and not New Zealand, but I have heard a few New Zealanders speak, and I agree it is hard for me to discern between the accents.

Is it true that the New Zealand accent is less drawn-out and drawl"y" than the Australian accent, a little more clipped? It sure does sound "down under" still to my ears, but not as draggy as the Australian one? I may be wrong...

I think it is akin to foreigners trying to distinguish US vs Can accents. Although, I think Canadian accent is still more different than the US ones, than the difference between Aus & NZ.
I find Canadians not only pronounce vowels differently but have a different cadence and style of speech than Americans, they often speak with a lilt at end of sentence whereas Americans speak with a down note.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 PM

1,278 posts, read 522,570 times
Kiwis are easy to pick out, saying fish as if the I was missing, likewise dish, where to my ears, Aussies don’t drawl, but they seem to speak very slightly slower, not as clipped as Kiwis, but I like both their accents.
I find it reasonably easy to distinguish between U.S. and Canadian accents, but I have to listen to them for a couple of minutes for it to become clear, e.g., Canadians will often end a sentence with eh?, and they say words like about, as aboot.
I guess that there’s a difference between a Newfoundland accent, and one from British Columbia, but I’m sure that I wouldn’t get it unless someone pointed it out to me.
I can pin a NYC accent down right off, also Boston, and I can tell the difference between a New England accent, and one from Dixie, but I couldn’t say, “This guy’s from New Hampshire, and this one’s from Connecticut”, any more than I can tell a Georgian from an Alabaman.
A Texan accent sticks out, and I’m confident that I could get that right 7 times out of 10, but if an Oklahoman, from just over the border chipped in, I might go wrong.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 PM

9,689 posts, read 11,045,595 times
I have been to Australia and have met numerous Kiwis in person over the years and so it's no problem at all for me to distinguish the 2 accents. Of course being Canadian, I can always tell the difference between a Canadian and American accent.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:16 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,388,143 times
To hear the distinctive kiwi accent, listen to radio live in Auckland

https://www.radiolive.co.nz/home.html

I listen to Mitch every night.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 6,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
To hear the distinctive kiwi accent, listen to radio live in Auckland

https://www.radiolive.co.nz/home.html

I listen to Mitch every night.

thanks,

for the link ....

Old 10-19-2018, 06:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,918,224 times
Been to both numerous times and still can't differentiate the accents.
The South African accent is similar but easier to recognize.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:30 AM

7 posts, read 2,851 times
They are similar, but with a couple huge differences. Much more different than American vs Canadian I'd say. Australians say something like "feesh and cheeps" while NZers are supposedly more like "fush and chups". Kiwis pronounce the words bed, head and lead how Americans would say bid, hid and lid, while Australians don't. Australian is a lot twangier as well, while Kiwis are a bit flatter and can sometimes be more British in intonation.

This should all be obviously from a couple Youtube videos or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or