Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
She said it reminded her of Florida in the 70's when she was about 6 or 7 years old........I work here now so don't travel back and forth any more so it may be a while before we make a trip down under. I have a lot of exploring to do here....
OMG OMG. One of my mates who visited me said the same thing. He though Oz reminded him of Florida in the 70s! Especially since there was no real highway and no real rest areas, aside from a pub for grub and to buy petrol. He said he half expected to see his father show up and say "surprise, we're going to Disney".. as thats what they did to ensure the kids did not get overexcited driving down to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I spent some of December in Canada and my wife and I got really excited to see a deer walking around the streets in a town we were staying called Invermere. We pursued it taking lots of pictures only to later visit our friends who drove us around and there were heaps of them and one even in their backyard eating the fruit off of their tree.

These guys:

That's just the sort of thing i'd like to see. Canada looks quite nice during the winter, though I'm not sure how I'd do in the cold?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
That's just the sort of thing i'd like to see. Canada looks quite nice during the winter, though I'm not sure how I'd do in the cold?
If you can hold an ice cube in your hand for a minute, probably better than me.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:45 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
You dress warm, and besides, you're not outside ALL day long. You go inside to warm up, places are cozy there. And if you're outside and you feel cold, get physically active. With all those warm clothes on, you soon start feeling like a walking sauna.

The exception to this would be Montreal on one of its bitterly cold days - 25 below and colder. Add the windchill factor to that and my advice is: stay inside. But minus 10, minus 15 is tolerable as long as you're dressed for it and are moving.

Unless you're Coldie

Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
You dress warm, and besides, you're not outside ALL day long. You go inside to warm up, places are cozy there. And if you're outside and you feel cold, get physically active. With all those warm clothes on, you soon start feeling like a walking sauna.

The exception to this would be Montreal on one of its bitterly cold days - 25 below and colder. Add the windchill factor to that and my advice is: stay inside. But minus 10, minus 15 is tolerable as long as you're dressed for it and are moving.

Unless you're Coldie
As I've posted in a recent weather forum thread,

I found out this autumn that I would rather it be -5 C outside and perpetually 20-22 C inside and be going outside a few times a day, for periods up to 45 minutes (dressed appropriately of course ) and then coming back inside, shedding the layers and being able to forget about the cold outside within a half-hour...

than be camping in weather like 3/17 C where the "chill" never went away except for about 6-8 hours midday. It really got annoying that there was never anywhere I did not feel chill... unless I went for a drive blasting my car-heat, found some midday sun to stand in, or sitting close to someone else's bonfire.

Why?
Well when you have a house/office that's 20-22 C, all your "stuff" can also be 20-22 C, so your belongings are "pre-warmed." It's not even chilly when you sit down on a toilet seat. Touch anything indoors made of metal without feeling too cold either. It's easy to feel largely-ignorant of the winter season when you're indoors most places in Canada.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Clothes always seem to be out of date whenever seen in pics, always seems like the tech. and everything in the pictures are behind on date
from my travels to US, apart from NYC I wouldn't say most amercians are necessarily ahead on clothing etc. When I was in Vegas last year, I wondered when the 1983 came back.... some doozy hairstyles.

What pics are you talking about? the technology? Like gadgets ??

Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
As I've posted in a recent weather forum thread,

I found out this autumn that I would rather it be -5 C outside and perpetually 20-22 C inside and be going outside a few times a day, for periods up to 45 minutes (dressed appropriately of course ) and then coming back inside, shedding the layers and being able to forget about the cold outside within a half-hour...

than be camping in weather like 3/17 C where the "chill" never went away except for about 6-8 hours midday. It really got annoying that there was never anywhere I did not feel chill... unless I went for a drive blasting my car-heat, found some midday sun to stand in, or sitting close to someone else's bonfire.

Why?
Well when you have a house/office that's 20-22 C, all your "stuff" can also be 20-22 C, so your belongings are "pre-warmed." It's not even chilly when you sit down on a toilet seat. Touch anything indoors made of metal without feeling too cold either. It's easy to feel largely-ignorant of the winter season when you're indoors most places in Canada.
Reminds me of my friend who lives in Canberra (Australia). During winter he remarked once that he'd sprint to the shower in the mornings due to the cold nature of the rooms in the mornings (no central heating)

I stayed in Wellington, NZ the Xmas before last. The house I was staying in was absolutely freezing in the morning - including most of the items (it did mean my Mars bar was almost frozen - better eaten that way ). I was huddled over a bar heater in my bedroom.....!!

My point being I dislike having a cool house also. Wish us Antipodeans took a lesson from you Canadians with insulation

Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Reminds me of my friend who lives in Canberra (Australia). During winter he remarked once that he'd sprint to the shower in the mornings due to the cold nature of the rooms in the mornings (no central heating)
That's what we do too, here in Perth many winter mornings. The bathroom's mostly tiled, no central heating. We have a little electrical space heater in there, otherwise it's just too uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I stayed in Wellington, NZ the Xmas before last. The house I was staying in was absolutely freezing in the morning - including most of the items (it did mean my Mars bar was almost frozen - better eaten that way ). I was huddled over a bar heater in my bedroom.....!!

My point being I dislike having a cool house also. Wish us Antipodeans took a lesson from you Canadians with insulation
Lots of winter days in Perth, it's warmer outside than in the house. I've got one of those indoor/outdoor digital thermometers and often it'll show 22C outside and barely 19C indoors at about 11am or noon. When it gets down to 2C at night here, it's freezing when things aren't insulated well.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 PM

279 posts, read 673,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
22C outside and barely 19C indoors at about 11am or noon. When it gets down to 2C at night here, it's freezing when things aren't insulated well.
That's one thing I don't miss about Adelaide. It was freezing in the house and I just couldn't warm it up quick enough. Took hours.

Now, if it's -20C outside we walk around the house in t-shirts.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:09 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Canada for it's more interesting variable weather. Australia's weather can get terribly mundane at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand