U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 AM
 
787 posts, read 1,090,075 times
Reputation: 453

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
That's just the sort of thing i'd like to see. Canada looks quite nice during the winter, though I'm not sure how I'd do in the cold?
It depends where in Canada. We stayed at Sunshine Lodge in Banff, Alberta and while we were there it never got above -22'C and unless we were skiing, it was unbearable. Invermere however, where the photo was taken, was a fair bit warmer and I didn't have a problem just casually walking around. Interestingly though, was that because it was so cold, there was no moisture in the air so you get sore, dry throats.

This was our view from our room at Sunshine Lodge:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,620,068 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Reminds me of my friend who lives in Canberra (Australia). During winter he remarked once that he'd sprint to the shower in the mornings due to the cold nature of the rooms in the mornings (no central heating)
And many Australians live in the southern parts of Oz to avoid summer heat and humidity?

I think I'd rather deal with vicious 50 C heat-indexes all summer long (Cloncurry, Normanton, Katherine?)
than have winters "consistantly" that cold indoors, all winter long.

(Australians/Kiwis are starting to sound like "cavemen" to me. )

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-30-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Grand Lake, Colorado
279 posts, read 439,521 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I spent some of December in Canada and my wife and I got really excited to see a deer walking around the streets in a town we were staying called Invermere. We pursued it taking lots of pictures only to later visit our friends who drove us around and there were heaps of them and one even in their backyard eating the fruit off of their tree.

These guys:
Wildlife should not be "pursued" through towns or streets but left to roam on their own accord. You can still take photos without getting to close to them. I live at the end of a "no thru road" and tourists constantly chase elk in their vehicles to the end of my street for photos. This makes them frightened, they heard together and trample through anything in their way, especially my wifes flower beds.... If left alone they will just meander slowly without doing damage and you can still take photos.

Taken through my front door.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
 
787 posts, read 1,090,075 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Wildlife should not be "pursued" through towns or streets but left to roam on their own accord. You can still take photos without getting to close to them. I live at the end of a "no thru road" and tourists constantly chase elk in their vehicles to the end of my street for photos. This makes them frightened, they heard together and trample through anything in their way, especially my wifes flower beds.... If left alone they will just meander slowly without doing damage and you can still take photos.

Taken through my front door.
Well, you'll be happy to know that I didn't have a car nor did I "pursue" them. The ones I took photos of were wandering in and out of the yards of the houses across the street to the apartment i was staying in and i took photos from the other side of the road. There were also some others that were in my friends back yard. I never got close to them and they just ignored me and kept on eating. I'm not one of those tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Grand Lake, Colorado
279 posts, read 439,521 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Well, you'll be happy to know that I didn't have a car nor did I "pursue" them. The ones I took photos of were wandering in and out of the yards of the houses across the street to the apartment i was staying in and i took photos from the other side of the road. There were also some others that were in my friends back yard. I never got close to them and they just ignored me and kept on eating. I'm not one of those tourists.
That's cool........I was just referring to your words from your previous post, quote: "We pursued it taking lots of pictures".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Grand Lake, Colorado
279 posts, read 439,521 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think I'd rather deal with vicious 50 C heat-indexes all summer long (Cloncurry, Normanton, Katherine?) than have winters "consistantly" that cold indoors, all winter long.
Let's have this conversation again after you've experienced frying an egg on the bbq without having to light it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,620,068 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Let's have this conversation again after you've experienced frying an egg on the bbq without having to light it.....
I like eggs.

What I meant was,
from an objective point of view it seems a lot of Aussies are able to put up with a lot of "winter toss,"
which could be indicative of being an overall hardier-sort when it comes to weather
If it weren't for the fact that I know many Aussies fret about heat indexes of only 40 C and nighttime lows of 20+ C.
(conditions that I always either enjoy, or at least "tolerate well." )

Furthermore,
Toronto's hottest summers are always the most enjoyable summers for me.
I wish our hottest summers were actually our coolest summers.
(even in our hottest summers we still get a handfull of days below 24 C, and nights below 14 C)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-30-2010 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Grand Lake, Colorado
279 posts, read 439,521 times
Reputation: 200
It's all about stats with you CC.......always whinging it's too

Go over and experience it for yourself....fry an egg on a rock, open the door and get a blast of hot air as if you just opened the oven door...and stuck your head in, walk bare foot and hop like a kangaroo because your feet are burning, take a shower and only get hot water out of the cold tap. Now imagine this day in and day out without the ability to get some form of relief. Then tell me you could live weeks on end with the temperature over 40C....and you call this your prefered climate....

You need a ..........just kidding.....


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,598 posts, read 15,620,068 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
It's all about stats with you CC.......always whinging it's too

Go over and experience it for yourself....fry an egg on a rock, open the door and get a blast of hot air as if you just opened the oven door...and stuck your head in, walk bare foot and hop like a kangaroo because your feet are burning, take a shower and only get hot water out of the cold tap. Now imagine this day in and day out without the ability to get some form of relief. Then tell me you could live weeks on end with the temperature over 40C....and you call this your prefered climate....

You need a ..........just kidding.....
Did I strike a nerve?
I didn't mean to downplay any past suffering you experienced in Oz.

I never said I would enjoy consistant over 40 C either.
That is an unknown, since I've never felt weather above 39.5 C.
That's why I carefully chose the term "heat index", as I am most familiar with muggy-heat.

Unless I am going through extreme-distress,
I will likely enjoy any hot Australian summer climate more than Toronto's summer,
since EVERY summer but our 1-in-10 longest & hottest leaves me "unfulfilled"
and maybe 1-in-5 summers are actually annoyingly-chilly here.

Another reason I might enjoy a scorching summer is that even if mid-summer is too hot,
it will likely mean that I could use spring & autumn for "summer-fun" instead.
In Canada, summer holds 90+% of a Canadian's chance for "fun-in-the-sun"
so other seasons are virtually write-offs if you enjoy moderate-heat, as I do.

This is why I do not dream of becoming a Canadian Snowbird
wintering in the Florida or the tropics for 5-6 months
and spending the warmest 6-7 months in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Grand Lake, Colorado
279 posts, read 439,521 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Did I strike a nerve?
I didn't mean to downplay any past suffering you experienced in Oz.
I was joking....taking the p1$$ out of you....as we say....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top