U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 05:44 AM

9,158 posts, read 3,103,446 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to the 2019 Ashes. The Ashes are a fantastic sporting event.

2019 Ashes series - Wikipedia

Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 12:05 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,271,052 times
Immigration definitely plays its art.

Talking about Rise of Soccer (Football) in Australia, immigrant kids either born or from families originally from Former Yugoslavia countries, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Iran, Lebanon have increased the profile of that sport in Australia. It is common to see Australian Soccer player of Croatia/Serbia/Bosnia origin playing in some club in Asian Countries. For children of those communities, Soccer is numero uno sport in Australia.

Cricket is the number one sport of South Asian Australian community.

I dont know about sporting choices of Chinese or say Irish immigrants.

1st Test Match will start on December 6th at Adelaide Oval. Hope to see more Home Support.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Lol the series this summer will bring immigration talks back into play, and I mean this seriously. Do you think it's ok that the vast majority of the crowd will be Indian in Australia? It doesn't seem right to me. Call me a racist but the home crowd should obviously be the majority. What marisamay said about them purposefully organising themselves to buy the tickets straight away to outpace anglos is worrying too, do they do that legally?
Its not about Racism at all. Actually more Indians live in UK, South Africa, Trinidad then Indian-Australian community population. This phenomenon of away team having 95% of supporters out of total spectators in all of three matches - Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney looked very strange to me. This will not happen in London or Durban or Port of Spain !!!

As other members said, there are issues of poor marketing, Indians organising themselves in ticket buying, TV Rights, Ball Tampering issues.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:14 PM

One more question on Australian Sports. What is the meaning / significance of word "Kookaburras". I think that Cricket Ball is called Kookaburra. Australian Hockey Team is called Kookaburra. Is there any cultural significance ??

Old 11-30-2018, 12:45 PM

338 posts, read 162,938 times
This thread reminds me of some fun times.

Ok, many years ago a Pakistani origin student moved into our street. He was in California for his advanced medical training (over the years, we have become something like friends). Anyway, as we talked more and more and hung out now and then, he tried hard to explain cricket to me with the help of youtube!. It is sort of like bad baseball from my perspective. I tried to explain NFL - we both failed to convince the other.

No one here knows what it is outside of a few select immigrant communities.

(Side note, dude completed his medical training, got a job and then became a citizen the legal way. That sort of immigrant - highly skilled, legal, fluent English speaker and integrated - no one minds!).

Old 11-30-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
This thread reminds me of some fun times.

Ok, many years ago a Pakistani origin student moved into our street. He was in California for his advanced medical training (over the years, we have become something like friends). Anyway, as we talked more and more and hung out now and then, he tried hard to explain cricket to me with the help of youtube!. It is sort of like bad baseball from my perspective. I tried to explain NFL - we both failed to convince the other.

No one here knows what it is outside of a few select immigrant communities.

(Side note, dude completed his medical training, got a job and then became a citizen the legal way. That sort of immigrant - highly skilled, legal, fluent English speaker and integrated - no one minds!).
Same thing goes with Hockey. I have a hard time explaining to my friends in USA that there is a game called Field Hockey which is played on Grass / Artificial Turf. Hockey without Ice.

National Game of India Pakistan is actually Field Hockey, not Cricket. Cricket and Soccer are more popular though.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:06 PM

421 posts, read 140,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
One more question on Australian Sports. What is the meaning / significance of word "Kookaburras". I think that Cricket Ball is called Kookaburra. Australian Hockey Team is called Kookaburra. Is there any cultural significance ??
Kookaburras are a species of bird native to Australia and New Guinea which have a distinctive laugh. so their name is borrowed for a national sports team in the same way as eg the Wallabies.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:32 PM

2,142 posts, read 3,002,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Its not about Racism at all. Actually more Indians live in UK, South Africa, Trinidad then Indian-Australian community population. This phenomenon of away team having 95% of supporters out of total spectators in all of three matches - Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney looked very strange to me. This will not happen in London or Durban or Port of Spain !!!

As other members said, there are issues of poor marketing, Indians organising themselves in ticket buying, TV Rights, Ball Tampering issues.
You obviously were not around in the eighties and Tebbit's cricket test with regards to loyalty. Indian/Pakistani supporters were clearly out in force during those times.
West Indians as well. All added to the colour. Sub Continental migrants still relatively new to the Australian scene. No real difference.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:18 PM

100 posts, read 107,865 times
Lived in Australia my whole life....can't stand the sport, bores me to tears.

In saying that though, plenty of people I know are still huge fans of it.

But at the same token, what's interesting is that given the time of year (being summer) many people I know follow the European football (soccer) and NBA/NFL codes also.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:45 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,039,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977

Sitting at home last Sunday morning, me mate boomerang
Said he was having a few people around for a barbie, said he might kookaburra or two
I said, "Sounds great, will Wallaby there?"
He said, "Yeah and Vegemite come too"
So I said to the wife, "Do you wanna goanna?"
She said, "I'll go if dingos"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand