U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:21 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,287,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
South Asians, specially Indians, are growing very fast in all first world countries.

Here in a small city of Midwestern United States that many would consider, “in the middle of nowhere”, we have about 35 cricket teams - 99% Indians.

This may surprise you but I think more cricket is played in USA than in home of cricket, England.

An Australian cricket brand called “Focus Cricket” just launched a dealership in Chicago and Houston - such is the demand of cricket gear in USA.
Many Universities have started Cricket Teams- comprising of Indian students there. Few years ago, I think there was a TV Broadcast of Finals of that championship in Florida. Some big universities have started to fund the transportation / hotel expenses of their Cricket teams with an eye to their lucrative Foreign student market. The pics of cricket playing students are placed on websites of International Student office where Foreign studenmts first aply for admissions. The local teams comprise of various Mr Patel of Motels / Convenience stores getting together on Sunday morning for a Cricket Match.

I dont think that a non-citizen can represent USA in any international match.
Most of the cricket players in USA are on various Visas.
By the time they get US Passport, that will be beyond the seriously playing age.

If I remember correctly, there was some Woman's Cricket match involving USA Woman's Cricket team. One of their player was 56 years old !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 3,174,398 times
You also had the canadian t20 league recently which proved to be popular. Cricket in Canada has always been around since it was part of the empire and it has a large indian migrant population.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:03 PM

3,683 posts, read 1,346,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Many Universities have started Cricket Teams- comprising of Indian students there. Few years ago, I think there was a TV Broadcast of Finals of that championship in Florida. Some big universities have started to fund the transportation / hotel expenses of their Cricket teams with an eye to their lucrative Foreign student market. The pics of cricket playing students are placed on websites of International Student office where Foreign studenmts first aply for admissions. The local teams comprise of various Mr Patel of Motels / Convenience stores getting together on Sunday morning for a Cricket Match.

I dont think that a non-citizen can represent USA in any international match.
Most of the cricket players in USA are on various Visas.
By the time they get US Passport, that will be beyond the seriously playing age.

If I remember correctly, there was some Woman's Cricket match involving USA Woman's Cricket team. One of their player was 56 years old !!!
There are a couple of points here.

First yeah, cricket in USA is mostly played by Indian IT guys. These guys arrive in USA in huge numbers. It’s was up to 165,000 every year since 1998 when Bill Clinton visited India and signed up a deal with the Indian govt to hugely increase the number H1 worker visa for Indians. It’s only recently that Donald Trump has put a clamp on it.
But I think more than a million Indian IT techies have already arrived in USA in the last decade.
And once they are here, many of them don’t wanna go back - they find ways to settle here.

There are many, many cricket leagues, training camps and coaching services here that are fully designated to children.

And again, all the children league organizers and participants are Indians. So a huge crop of cricketers is in making in USA.

Then we have immigrants from Caribbean, and West Indies that are here way before Indians. They also have their leagues and many of them hold high admin positions in USA cricket board.

Cricket is growing like wild fire in USA.

But West Indian influence has also backfired a little. There are strong indications of corruption and nepotism.
For example,
Not sure how far back do you remember but there was a West Indian cricket player in the 70/80’s era. His name was Faoud Bacchus. At some point he immigrated to USA - and believe it or not, but a few years ago he was made the captain of USA’s national team at the age of 56.
This is the kind of nepotism we have in USA cricket board.

However, I am confident that Indians will take over within a few years and both quality and quantity of cricket will improve in USA. Some of white Americans have also started to play with us now.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 PM

They need a proper Cricket Stadium with ICC recognition in USA.
And ask India to play some Home matches there every year just like how Mexico plays 7-8 matches every year in USA in front of their high paying adoring fans.

Last edited by munna21977; 12-08-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
You also had the canadian t20 league recently which proved to be popular. Cricket in Canada has always been around since it was part of the empire and it has a large indian migrant population.
They used to have a proper Cricket stadium in Toronto where India & Pakistan played some Sahara series of One Day matches many years ago.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
There are a couple of points here.

First yeah, cricket in USA is mostly played by Indian IT guys. These guys arrive in USA in huge numbers. It’s was up to 165,000 every year since 1998 when Bill Clinton visited India and signed up a deal with the Indian govt to hugely increase the number H1 worker visa for Indians. It’s only recently that Donald Trump has put a clamp on it.
But I think more than a million Indian IT techies have already arrived in USA in the last decade.
And once they are here, many of them don’t wanna go back - they find ways to settle here.

There are many, many cricket leagues, training camps and coaching services here that are fully designated to children.

And again, all the children league organizers and participants are Indians. So a huge crop of cricketers is in making in USA.

Then we have immigrants from Caribbean, and West Indies that are here way before Indians. They also have their leagues and many of them hold high admin positions in USA cricket board.

Cricket is growing like wild fire in USA.

But West Indian influence has also backfired a little. There are strong indications of corruption and nepotism.
For example,
Not sure how far back do you remember but there was a West Indian cricket player in the 70/80’s era. His name was Faoud Bacchus. At some point he immigrated to USA - and believe it or not, but a few years ago he was made the captain of USA’s national team at the age of 56.
This is the kind of nepotism we have in USA cricket board.

However, I am confident that Indians will take over within a few years and both quality and quantity of cricket will improve in USA. Some of white Americans have also started to play with us now.
Immigration to USA takes up so much time that it becomes difficult for any Sportsman unless he has multiple passports.
Imagine a proper First Class Cricketer immigrating there and he will be in 30s by the time he become US citizen.

In other countries, this is not the case. It will take merely 4-5 years in Canada.

Many South African and Zimbabwean players have immigrated to other countries like Australia and sometimes reverse too.
Kepler Wessels used to play for Australia and later on represented South Africa.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 AM

6,799 posts, read 3,174,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
They used to have a proper Cricket stadium in Toronto where India & Pakistan played some Sahara series of One Day matches many years ago.
During one of those matches inzamam ul haq
got angry at a spectator and tried bashing them with a cricket bat lol

Old 12-09-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yes that spectator was calling him "Aloo" which in Hindi / Urdu means Potato.

Australian Cricket was remembered for tough image and fiery temparament. Nowadays it has become very mild.
Does anyone remember skirmish between Curtly Ambrose & Steve Waugh during a Test Match in West Indies. Brian Lara was trying to be a mediator and prevent Ambrose from more aggression. Cricket used to be like that in the 1990s- real Fast Bowling, Batting with guts.

Nowadays T20 has made it one-sided batting game where result is decided with Toss.
Now T10 has started. One day they will make T01 !!

Old 12-09-2018, 12:01 PM

I have followed Australian Cricket for a long time. I have watched 1987 World Cup as a small child. I remember David Boon, Geoff Marsh. Spinner Greg Matthews who used to bowl wearing a Cap and was a match winner. There was a fast bowler Merv Hughes with big moustache !!

Old 12-09-2018, 10:35 PM

3,683 posts, read 1,346,496 times
Quote:
Yep, and the spectator was a nasty low life Indian who sent out a barrage of personal and family insults by a loud megaphone at Inzimam.

The lamer was no match for inzimam who jumped into the crowed and mauled him.

He was arrested by the police - and tried to be cocky a$$, and filed a complaint against Inzi after ignoring requests from Sachin and Azharuddin.

lol, and funnily enough, police did some more investigation and also filed a charge against this mental midget spectator after eyewitnesses account of him throwing the megaphone at inzi.

If convicted, he would’ve lost his Canadian residency status and thus leading a deportation back to India.

And he immediately settled the case with Inzimam and dropped his compliant.

Ha !! So much for his self proclaimed pride when Sachin and Azhar asked him earlier to not file the complaint against Inzi and he said, “You can kiss my feet but I won’t stop even at the request of Indian prime minister”

His name was Shiv Kumar or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand