U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

2,175 posts, read 3,011,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Not at all, IMO.
The process will take several generations, so all alive now, won't be around to critique it one way or another. It will become the 'norm'.

Australia is only in the early stages of becoming a multicultural society. It is just that the change from being one of the most homogeneous as we were in the seventies to change building in the eighties, to becoming very visible by the turn of the century was rather rapid, especially in the main cities.

Obviously resistance by a sizable number will remain for at least a generation, probably longer, but could be exploited by those of ill will, if not conducted sensibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

451 posts, read 150,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
The process will take several generations, so all alive now, won't be around to critique it one way or another. It will become the 'norm'.

Australia is only in the early stages of becoming a multicultural society. It is just that the change from being one of the most homogeneous as we were in the seventies to change building in the eighties, to becoming very visible by the turn of the century was rather rapid, especially in the main cities.

Obviously resistance by a sizable number will remain for at least a generation, probably longer, but could be exploited by those of ill will, if not conducted sensibly.
Some of the studies I have read indicate that the current Asian immigrants are integrating into mainstream culture at a much faster rate than the post war groups of mainly Southern Europeans. A large part is due to having more education and language skills. The post war Italians and Greeks, as an example, were barely literate in their own languages. My FIL had about three years of school, worked in an unskilled job in Australia and died without ever learning to speak much English. I have taught the kids of many Asian immigrants and it is a much easier task to communicate with their parents, both in actual language and in their receptiveness to Australian culture.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

2,175 posts, read 3,011,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Some of the studies I have read indicate that the current Asian immigrants are integrating into mainstream culture at a much faster rate than the post war groups of mainly Southern Europeans. A large part is due to having more education and language skills. The post war Italians and Greeks, as an example, were barely literate in their own languages. My FIL had about three years of school, worked in an unskilled job in Australia and died without ever learning to speak much English. I have taught the kids of many Asian immigrants and it is a much easier task to communicate with their parents, both in actual language and in their receptiveness to Australian culture.

There is the danger of an elitist race based component developing, holding power well above numbers within society. This could be through a means of extreme wealth and/or over achievement in top professions with the influence that accompanies all those things. This in turn could diminish 'white Australia' over time in the power such influence wields, and the reaction that that may well incur.

Quite the opposite from the semi literate Italian migrant of post war years, that were treated badly and had a hard fight to establish themselves among such sentiments of the time.
There is still rather a strong connection with third generation Italian families in Australia I find.

I have found some Chinese parents despairing at their children's lack of obedience and perceived laziness and answering back, all things less likely to have been accepted back in the old country.

Old Today, 02:08 AM

451 posts, read 150,330 times
Well, one factor that would be great with a more brown population would be the lower incidence of skin cancer! As a redhead, I certainly had no intention of ever getting together with another redhead. I wanted my kids to be able to enjoy the beach.

I notice that the third generation of Italians often have partners from other enmeshed cultures, be they Greek, Asian Croatian etc. Greeks seem to have retained their culture a little more than Italians; studies point to them having their own church as a focus. My kids have many friends of Greek background and it was funny when after one went through a decade of disastrous relationships she finally settled down with a "nice Greek boy". All her Aussie friends heaved a sigh of relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand