U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:52 PM

499 posts, read 173,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Isn't Australia (as a whole) more liberal than the US (as a whole), though?

Although of course a solidly liberal state like California is likely to be as liberal as Australia.

I heard Queensland is the most conservative state in Australia; do they have stricter immigration laws? How do their politics differ, and what US state would they politically resemble the most?
At the moment immigration is a federal responsibility. lately the states are pushing to have more input because immigrants settle predominantly in Sydney and Melbourne and the pressure on the infrastructure is a hot issue at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 10:38 PM

3,386 posts, read 5,272,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I heard Queensland is the most conservative state in Australia; do they have stricter immigration laws? How do their politics differ, and what US state would they politically resemble the most?

As mentioed qld mostly gets this from a long standing conservative government that was outed almost 30 years ago (29 to be exact). In the years since at state level at least its has had left leaning labor governments for 25 of them.

QLD is the most politically divided state in australia in my opion. Its very large area with cities thousands of kilometres apart. NSW seems to be similar.

Indeed these days it could well be argued that NSW is the most conservative state in the country. It had the smallest yes vote in the recent same sex marriage debate, and remains the only state where abortion is illegal. Though thats a matter for another debate.

Regardless immigration policy is almost entirely a federal matter in australia, so the states dont get much of a say anyway.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:59 PM

2,230 posts, read 3,040,731 times
The election that saw the Labor Party (ALP) gain power in WA, saw the state government remove many categories of jobs, where overseas residents could apply to enter on. Only 17 categories remained after heavy pruning. So state government did exert influence there. This saw a big fall in immigration to WA. But overall it is the Federal government that dictate numbers and the pressure is on by business to again increase immigration numbers into WA.

I would have thought, the far right, One Nation Party, whose popularity remains by far the biggest in rural QLD and WA would be indicative of the conservatism lingering in those states, especially in rural areas.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:07 PM

3,135 posts, read 1,957,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
In practice I expect USA farmers and small business requires, (or claims to) low cost workers to do the harvesting, child minding and low status jobs that Americans tend to shun, probably due to the low wages and lack of job security.
It's all matter of price....if you offer a decent wage, even some Americans would pick fruit or mow lawns...

Quote:
I'm not sure what point the OP is attempting to get over. Probably that America's immigration is so lax. Actually facts don't really suggest that as true in recent times.
I do not recall major Australia politicians criticizing the border enforcement agencies or even advocating dismantling them and I do not remember (I may be wrong) LE agencies in Australia being banned from verifying someone immigration status in case, let's say, of a traffic stops where the individual cannot provide proper ID...in America this can happen.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:

You are quite correct. Queensland is generally known as the 'most conservative' state. They have a long period of rather extreme conservatism rule behind them,

Indeed....interesting old book, "Deep North" by Dean Wells about conservative Queensland politics and the controversial QLD premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
It's all matter of price....if you offer a decent wage, even some Americans would pick fruit or mow lawns...

I do not recall major Australia politicians criticizing the border enforcement agencies or even advocating dismantling them and I do not remember (I may be wrong) LE agencies in Australia being banned from verifying someone immigration status in case, let's say, of a traffic stops where the individual cannot provide proper ID...in America this can happen.
Much the same in Australia , but with back packers being enticed to do farm work , with the carrot of another year in OZ.
There was opposition from Greens regarding harsh border enforcement and concern among ALP with boat turn backs and Indonesian reaction.
Obviously, the Right had hijacked the debate largely, so ALP were more muted than in probable normal circumstances.
One does not have to carry ID still in Australia from what I am aware. Years ago there was a push for an ID card which was rejected.

What you should be aware of is that Australia is still allowing in the highest ever numbers of long stay residents into the country, regardless that PR immigration has been reduced.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Indeed....interesting old book, "Deep North" by Dean Wells about conservative Queensland politics and the controversial QLD premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen.
I don't know the book, but know the times. Not good for democrats, liberals, political activists, alternatives, free thinkers, unionists, hippies, media that didn't toe the line and a host of others.
But sure enough a lot of support in quarters, which has probably always coloured certain perceptions towards the Banana Benders state of QLD.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
One does not have to carry ID still in Australia from what I am aware. Years ago there was a push for an ID card which was rejected.
Well in a traffic stop you have to produce a driving license or if you are involved in a scuffle with the LE, they have to be able to identify you....

Old 12-22-2018, 05:07 PM

2,061 posts, read 768,166 times
Quote:
Well in a traffic stop you have to produce a driving license or if you are involved in a scuffle with the LE, they have to be able to identify you....
Sure, but thatís a specific scenario. I donít remember having ever been asked to produce a form of ID when out in the open.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Each to their own. Quite happy not to have to produce ID at the demand of the state myself. There are situations where will be deemed necessary, like to prove age to gain entry into licensed premises. But your choice to enter or not.
As for a scuffle, prove can readily enough be sought if deemed necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or