U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Now Cape Town is in my top half dozen cities. Been there on several occasions, once for over two months. Great place. Never in my wildest dreams would I have associated Hobart with CT. I cannot imagine a vibe relative . Perhaps you are referring to the V & A waterfront area of CT?
But as for the vibe on the streets just where would be comparable with Long Street in CT? I have heard Hobart described as being rather 'sleepy'. Lacking 'the edge' for better or worse as well not to mention the colour.
I'm sure it's growing, but hardly comparable as stands with an internationally favoured city as is the case with CT.
Perhaps she meant in terms of the mountain/water setting.

It does look a little like Hobart in this picture:

In terms of Australia's prettiest downtown, Adelaide is quite beautiful: wide spacious avenues, leafy streets, old Victorian buildings, some increasingly vibrant laneways and cafes. You have Rundle Mall with the silver balls, which is pedestrian friendly. The CBD doesn't have the energy and bustle of Melbourne or Sydney of course, but it offers its own unique buzz.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 PM

19 posts, read 2,476 times
Quote:
I've not been to Brisbane or Hobart but out of the other capitals find that very hard to answer. None seem to be the full deal but Melbourne seems to have the most of considered requirements. I rather like Adelaide in architecture but perhaps a lack of vibrancy. Sydney in parts is very pleasant, with Perth much improved but lagging.
You might find Adelaide is a bit more vibrant nowadays. I still prefer Melbourne for it's range (it's a larger city), but for Adelaide's size it packs a punch these days.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:07 PM

161 posts, read 15,388 times
Orange, NSW or Goulburn, NSW.

"Downtown" = centre, correct?

Old 12-25-2018, 06:19 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,029,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa555www View Post
You might find Adelaide is a bit more vibrant nowadays. I still prefer Melbourne for it's range (it's a larger city), but for Adelaide's size it packs a punch these days.

I may well. Just a thought though. A city the size of Adelaide is hardly 'small. in population compared to a host a overseas cities many times smaller. (but still many times more vibrancy, one suspects)

Old 12-25-2018, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 966 times
There's a beauty to Sydney's downtown which I believe lies in the fact that you know it sits right on one of the the world's largest and most beautiful harbours. So you have this urban core that ticks all the "city living" boxes in proximity to sparkling blue water. Melbourne is more urban IMO, you cannot escape the concrete and steel. Even the Yarra doesn't quite lessen that manufactured, built city feel.

I'd go with Sydney for that reason: perfect balance of nature and the city, even if its downtown has been stagnant/lost vibrancy in recent years due to the lockout restrictions.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:21 AM

2,593 posts, read 1,744,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Hobart. But in many parts of the world it would be more of a large town than a city.
In many ways you are right.
Australia likes to talk primarily about the capital cities, but tends to forget that Hobart is actually considerably smaller than other regional cities like the Gold Coast or Newcastle, the latter of which I live in the outer urban population.
In any event, I was impressed by Hobart.

Old Today, 10:28 PM

19 posts, read 2,476 times
Quote:
I may well. Just a thought though. A city the size of Adelaide is hardly 'small. in population compared to a host a overseas cities many times smaller. (but still many times more vibrancy, one suspects)
Depends on your experiences. I know people who think Melbourne is tiny! Agreed with you though, Adelaide is big enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand