U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 PM

265 posts, read 338,257 times

Advertisements

Let's discuss...in terms of architecture (a fair mix of old and new), walkability (accessible?), avenue/street width and sidewalk room (not too crammed in or narrow, open and spacious a la Melbourne & Adelaide), tree/green coverage, lack of unsightly awnings, minimal to no advertisements, food vendors, flower stalls, live music, buskers, interesting bars/cafes....which Australian city CBD takes the cake for its beauty/vibrancy?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,029,767 times
I've not been to Brisbane or Hobart but out of the other capitals find that very hard to answer. None seem to be the full deal but Melbourne seems to have the most of considered requirements. I rather like Adelaide in architecture but perhaps a lack of vibrancy. Sydney in parts is very pleasant, with Perth much improved but lagging.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:41 AM

2,593 posts, read 1,744,597 times
Must admit I was pretty sold on Hobart, and have been to all the capitals bar Darwin.
Staying right on the edge of where the Sydney to Hobart yacht race finishes helped a bit as well.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:59 AM

483 posts, read 165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Must admit I was pretty sold on Hobart, and have been to all the capitals bar Darwin.
Staying right on the edge of where the Sydney to Hobart yacht race finishes helped a bit as well.
Hobart. But in many parts of the world it would be more of a large town than a city.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:39 AM

I get it that Hobart waterfront is attractive but does it really tick all the boxes to questions asked? I'd be surprised if it did. Beyond the supposed very attractive waterfront, is there the vibrancy and depth to make it anything more than a small town?

Old 12-17-2018, 04:26 AM

3,386 posts, read 5,261,510 times
Id go for Melbourne based on the CBD alone (much prefer Sydney once you get outside it), though I have never been to Tasmania, WA or Adelaide.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:23 PM

265 posts, read 338,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I get it that Hobart waterfront is attractive but does it really tick all the boxes to questions asked? I'd be surprised if it did. Beyond the supposed very attractive waterfront, is there the vibrancy and depth to make it anything more than a small town?
You’d be surprised.

The appeal and charm of Hobart’s Downtown is that it has been virtually untouched since the early days of colonisation. Lots of old colonial buildings...it’s beautiful, and yes it is small, but it is right between a gorgeous harbour and a mountain range so you can’t beat it. It has a Cape Town vibe. As far as diversity and vibrancy goes, in what context? The population is small so it’s not multicultural like Sydney and Melbourne, or even Adelaide, but it’s growing.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:53 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,944,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Youíd be surprised.

The appeal and charm of Hobartís Downtown is that it has been virtually untouched since the early days of colonisation. Lots of old colonial buildings...itís beautiful, and yes it is small, but it is right between a gorgeous harbour and a mountain range so you canít beat it. It has a Cape Town vibe. As far as diversity and vibrancy goes, in what context? The population is small so itís not multicultural like Sydney and Melbourne, or even Adelaide, but itís growing.
I find it somewhat mystifying why Hobart's downtown is called "beautiful". Yes, it is walkable, interesting in parts (older colonial buildings), and maybe likable but not more. Much of it seemed to be in a time warp, a downtown stuck in the 1950s with too many drab, inferior commercial buildings.

My candidate for an attractive downtown would be Cairns. It exudes tropicalness. Appealing landscapes, Lush plantings, flowers everywhere. Mountains in the distance and water close at hand (when the tides are in). For me it was the Australian city that stood out from the pack.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:59 PM

Cairns is an interesting choice. It certainly has a very different 'feel' to it than other Australian cities. I guess notable changes as well, from 1997, when I lived there. It is certainly international , with a wide appeal to tourists, has a 'vibe' , though small , big enough to be a player.
As I say. Interesting choice and can't think of too many reasons why not. A lot of our main city centres have a little of a sameness about them. Small CBD's, limited though expanding in scope.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
You’d be surprised.

The appeal and charm of Hobart’s Downtown is that it has been virtually untouched since the early days of colonisation. Lots of old colonial buildings...it’s beautiful, and yes it is small, but it is right between a gorgeous harbour and a mountain range so you can’t beat it. It has a Cape Town vibe. As far as diversity and vibrancy goes, in what context? The population is small so it’s not multicultural like Sydney and Melbourne, or even Adelaide, but it’s growing.
Now Cape Town is in my top half dozen cities. Been there on several occasions, once for over two months. Great place. Never in my wildest dreams would I have associated Hobart with CT. I cannot imagine a vibe relative . Perhaps you are referring to the V & A waterfront area of CT?
But as for the vibe on the streets just where would be comparable with Long Street in CT? I have heard Hobart described as being rather 'sleepy'. Lacking 'the edge' for better or worse as well not to mention the colour.
I'm sure it's growing, but hardly comparable as stands with an internationally favoured city as is the case with CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand