U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2018, 09:34 PM
 
7 posts, read 1,482 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaa555www View Post
I would consider Adelaide if you're looking for that smaller city vibe, still want niche beaches and a nice climate and less wind.

The way I see it Adelaide is half way between Melbourne and Perth geographically (sort of), but more importantly - culturally. It's not as busy as Melbourne, still feels kind of rural if you're further away from the city, but the city itself is very trendy and has the cafes and things that Melbourne does.

HTH
I second that. The only "problem" is that Adelaide can be extremely hot and dry in summer. Not every year - but often. Sydney has a milder climate than both Adelaide and Melbourne. Its winters aren't as cold as either city, and the summers generally aren't that hot unless you're out west. So I'd recommend Sydney or Adelaide. If you're happier with smaller (e.g. less than 700,000 people) there's Hobart, Launceston, Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Orange, Wagga Wagga or Darwin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2018, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Anglers Reach, NSW (Australia)
260 posts, read 26,990 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybuddybabe View Post
I second that. The only "problem" is that Adelaide can be extremely hot and dry in summer. Not every year - but often. Sydney has a milder climate than both Adelaide and Melbourne. Its winters aren't as cold as either city, and the summers generally aren't that hot unless you're out west. So I'd recommend Sydney or Adelaide. If you're happier with smaller (e.g. less than 700,000 people) there's Hobart, Launceston, Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, Orange, Wagga Wagga or Darwin.
Those climates will not suit him; they are markedly squally during the cooler months—when the SW polar fronts rip through the Western NSW slopes and ranges. Much windier than Perth, and with plenty of thunderstorms during the warmer months, too.

That's the reason I love these climates, however
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2018, 01:32 AM
 
2,248 posts, read 3,050,020 times
Reputation: 1324
I suspect localities like Byron Bay may suit more some of the OP's stated requirements. More transient population from around the world. Folk less connected to area more chance of being less reserved hence more open their surroundings and people in general.
I found Darwin somewhat like that as well. Cairns to a lesser extent perhaps but quite acceptable. Can't really think of many other places in Australia with a similar vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2018, 02:42 PM
 
281 posts, read 341,705 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post
Those climates will not suit him; they are markedly squally during the cooler months—when the SW polar fronts rip through the Western NSW slopes and ranges. Much windier than Perth, and with plenty of thunderstorms during the warmer months, too.

That's the reason I love these climates, however
If milder climates are your thing, then Wollongong, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Byron Bay, Toowoomba (maybe?)...mostly mild climates without the extremes of hot or cold like other Australian cities (though what is cold in Australia is more akin to "cool" or "chilly" for a European or North American). Our cities just do not get the plummeting record lows of North American cities in winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2018, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Anglers Reach, NSW (Australia)
260 posts, read 26,990 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
If milder climates are your thing, then Wollongong, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Byron Bay, Toowoomba (maybe?)...mostly mild climates without the extremes of hot or cold like other Australian cities (though what is cold in Australia is more akin to "cool" or "chilly" for a European or North American). Our cities just do not get the plummeting record lows of North American cities in winter...
Aye, but the original poster specified that he hates higher annual wind-speed, chiefly. Orange, NSW is much windier than Perth, and is likely windier than any city in the Lower 48 US.

Altitude of >900 m AMSL and South-Westerly exposure do wonders. I reside at 1,265-1,280 m AMSL (Anglers Reach, NSW), and I can very much confirm this notion; commonly in excess of >54 knots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2018, 05:44 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 3,050,020 times
Reputation: 1324
The wind in Perth is hardly an issue away from the beach and/or living directly on the coast. Hence, I gather the Op, refers to beaches without wind, which rules out inland locations like Orange and Toowoomba, as mentioned as alternative examples. Probably not likely to suit in other desired requirements along social lines either.


Perth, is pretty much a fair standard bearer as to how pretty much Australia functions, taking into account less population numbers than the few bigger cities and more diversity resulting.


My view would be Adelaide certainly, and I suspect Brisbane would not be very different, apart from the odd pro and con, here and there.


A lot will depend on age, status both marital and professional along with interests and personal expectations . Australia is not a particularly easy country to form relationships, hence any deeper emotional connections may well be very hard to find, best being contacts on a very superficial sort of basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 03:25 AM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
5,003 posts, read 6,387,605 times
Reputation: 2389
For a person from NZ, describing Perth as windy is hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
6,801 posts, read 3,200,602 times
Reputation: 2266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
For a person from NZ, describing Perth as windy is hilarious.
Lol, being from Wellington you'd probably think that a gale is a light breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2019, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
5,003 posts, read 6,387,605 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Lol, being from Wellington you'd probably think that a gale is a light breeze.
NZ is windy on the whole - not just Wellington. Perth is far less windy than most of NZ, especially the coastal locations. I won't bore you with some maximum speed records from both coastal and inland locales ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2019, 05:42 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 3,050,020 times
Reputation: 1324
No idea the wind comparison with NZ. But the West Coast is windy. Geraldton classically a spot for such conditions. They aren't termed the wind surfing capital without reason.


Another thing, St Georges Terrace, the main business street of Perth, at times is like a wind tunnel, due to prevailing conditions, with the tall buildings on either side funnelling the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top