U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2019, 01:23 AM
 
2,281 posts, read 3,076,743 times
Reputation: 1351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Overall I find Americans to be a bit more 'formal' in their sense of etiquette, so at times they may maintain a 'pleasant' conversation beyond the point at which Aussies may cut off discussion if they think someone is arrogant, rude, condescending, or self absorbed.
Or more likely can't keep up or purely run out of things to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
530 posts, read 268,399 times
Reputation: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post



Darwin and Cairns are surely too humid and too isolated.


Certainly more humid than Perth, but Perth is far more isolated than Cairns. Has the extreme isolation of Perth been a big disadvantage for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2019, 01:30 AM
 
2,281 posts, read 3,076,743 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
This statement is true, but doesn't tell the full story. While Sydney does have higher salaries on average, the excess is insufficient to make up for the COL, on average.

I employ people in every mainland capital city in a high wage industry and know many others that do also in other sectors. I know that if deciding on purely income to cost of living measure you are better off any where other than Sydney, on average. But my Sydney friends tell me there is much more to it than that. I remain unconvinced and enjoy welcoming them north when they finally figure it out.
Well same applies to London and Paris and I'd hazard a guess at a host of other cities. Reason being, obviously money is not the be all to all. But the have culture, diversity, street life, good public transport, walkability, unpredictability, buzz, internationalism, tolerance, all things that tend to be at hand, or easier to find that somewhere in the provinces.


Some of the above mentioned examples, probably lose significance as one ages. But until late thirties quite possibly essential at least for those preferring anything equitable to a cosmopolitan existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2019, 02:31 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
530 posts, read 268,399 times
Reputation: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well same applies to London and Paris and I'd hazard a guess at a host of other cities. Reason being, obviously money is not the be all to all. But the have culture, diversity, street life, good public transport, walkability, unpredictability, buzz, internationalism, tolerance, all things that tend to be at hand, or easier to find that somewhere in the provinces.


Some of the above mentioned examples, probably lose significance as one ages. But until late thirties quite possibly essential at least for those preferring anything equitable to a cosmopolitan existence.
Yes, quite correct. Hence I said "if" deciding on financial reasons alone. I just think the post I was responding to could be interpreted by the OP as meaning the higher wages counteract the higher COL. They don't by a long shot assuming you have to pay for accommodation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2019, 11:40 PM
 
2,281 posts, read 3,076,743 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Yes, quite correct. Hence I said "if" deciding on financial reasons alone. I just think the post I was responding to could be interpreted by the OP as meaning the higher wages counteract the higher COL. They don't by a long shot assuming you have to pay for accommodation.
Indeed. Housing costs are not compensated by higher pay in most our great cities. It would make more sense for financial reasons alone to seek out cheaper, smaller cities and towns, on the condition one can achieve the means to work in one's field, not always possible, outside of prime locations.
Without the ability the work or perhaps to have to settle for almost any kind of work, would then temper the wisdom of moving location on grounds of cheaper housing alone.
Mobility is certainly not what it once was. Upheaval often costs a small fortune, especially if moving across the nation. Still expensive between states. All factors to be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 PM
 
107 posts, read 61,623 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I think Adelaide is a nicer city overall.

Better architecture, beautiful beaches, stunning villages in the hills, great dining culture...

Perth is like that isolated behemoth: lots of freeways/highways, very modern, car dependent, flat & less geographic diversity (Adelaide has the coast, the hills, Mount Lofty, the plains).
Adelaide sound interesting! But how about housing, job opportunities, public transport and such? Do you get more value for your money in Adelaide in comparison to Perth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Certainly more humid than Perth, but Perth is far more isolated than Cairns. Has the extreme isolation of Perth been a big disadvantage for you?

On this I do not agree with you. It is true that in terms of actual km Perth is more isolated than Cairns. But I do not think that you can compare in that way. First of all, although Cairns does have an airport, it is not nearly as good as the one in Perth. Second of all, Cairns is a city of 120 000 while Perth has 2 million+ inhabitants. So, they are really worlds apart in terms of job opportunities, stuff to do and so on. And lastly, Cairns is 1600 km from the nearest fairly large city (Sunshine Coast) which makes it very isolated. And because if its small size I’m sure you feel more isolated in Cairns than in Perth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
530 posts, read 268,399 times
Reputation: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post



On this I do not agree with you. It is true that in terms of actual km Perth is more isolated than Cairns. But I do not think that you can compare in that way. First of all, although Cairns does have an airport, it is not nearly as good as the one in Perth. Second of all, Cairns is a city of 120 000 while Perth has 2 million+ inhabitants. So, they are really worlds apart in terms of job opportunities, stuff to do and so on. And lastly, Cairns is 1600 km from the nearest fairly large city (Sunshine Coast) which makes it very isolated. And because if its small size I’m sure you feel more isolated in Cairns than in Perth.
isolated - Oxford Dictionary
ADJECTIVE
1. Far away from other places, buildings, or people; remote.
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1 Having minimal contact or little in common with others.
‘he lived a very isolated existence’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.2 Single; exceptional.
‘isolated incidents of student unrest’

Nothing about quality of Airport (Cairns is a great airport by the way, one of only 7 major Australian International Airports), job opportunities and stuff to do.

Cairns is 350km from Townsville and only slightly smaller than it. Townsville is one of the very cities you included in your consideration on post #4. Cairns and Townsville are #13 and #14 in the list of highest population cities in Australia.

So Cairns, not too isolated(by the real definition) relative to Perth, but yes, less people and jobs. Think you better stick to the capital cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 06:23 AM
 
107 posts, read 61,623 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
isolated - Oxford Dictionary
ADJECTIVE
1. Far away from other places, buildings, or people; remote.
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1 Having minimal contact or little in common with others.
‘he lived a very isolated existence’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.2 Single; exceptional.
‘isolated incidents of student unrest’

Nothing about quality of Airport (Cairns is a great airport by the way, one of only 7 major Australian International Airports), job opportunities and stuff to do.

Cairns is 350km from Townsville and only slightly smaller than it. Townsville is one of the very cities you included in your consideration on post #4. Cairns and Townsville are #13 and #14 in the list of highest population cities in Australia.

So Cairns, not too isolated(by the real definition) relative to Perth, but yes, less people and jobs. Think you better stick to the capital cities.
Cairns is too small for me considering its distance from the nearest million city. As I wrote in the previous post, I do agree that Perth actually is more isolated in terms of how you use the actual word, but not in the sense that I use it. The size of Perth makes it feel less isolated. Anyhow, what major Australian city would you say is the most “European”? Is there a difference between peoples, culture, architecture and such between the major Australian cities in the way that there is in the US, or is Australia too small for that kind of stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Australia
577 posts, read 202,895 times
Reputation: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
Cairns is too small for me considering its distance from the nearest million city. As I wrote in the previous post, I do agree that Perth actually is more isolated in terms of how you use the actual word, but not in the sense that I use it. The size of Perth makes it feel less isolated. Anyhow, what major Australian city would you say is the most “European”? Is there a difference between peoples, culture, architecture and such between the major Australian cities in the way that there is in the US, or is Australia too small for that kind of stuff?
Melbourne is usually regarded as the most European city but from what you have written the climate would not suit you, nor the lack of access to ocean beaches.
There is probably not as much difference between the main cities as you find in the US. However, Sydney and Melbourne attract most of our immigrants so have a higher proportion of people born overseas, among the highest in the world. I think the culture is pretty uniform overall, as is the accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 PM
 
2,281 posts, read 3,076,743 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Melbourne is usually regarded as the most European city but from what you have written the climate would not suit you, nor the lack of access to ocean beaches.
There is probably not as much difference between the main cities as you find in the US. However, Sydney and Melbourne attract most of our immigrants so have a higher proportion of people born overseas, among the highest in the world. I think the culture is pretty uniform overall, as is the accent.

Rather amazing how Australian cities are so much alike. Melbourne, certainly had the reputation of being Australia's most European city, but do wonder how that actually applies or if so today.


So much change over twenty five plus years (since first visited that city) that Asian influence appears far more the case, as every other city than European.


High overseas birth rates are very true, but Australian cities do not appear, to my thinking anyway, as diverse as London, New York, Toronto or Amsterdam to name a few.


Fully agree that the culture is uniform overall. A little odd, in a country so huge, that uniformity resulted in the way it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top