Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:44 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Companies make real economic losses and incur real expenses, it's a fact of life. It's not avoidance if you don't pay tax because you did not make a profit. Even the ATO says so. Nothing wrong with minimising your tax bill.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-...x-ato/10614916
What is a fact of life is aggressive minimisation of tax by corporates of course. (already stated) while not illegal in the sense of the word very tricky all the same. Come now, just look at Chevron and BHP as examples on the top of my head, that the tax office is actually attempting to recuperate considerable sums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
What is a fact of life is aggressive minimisation of tax by corporates of course. (already stated) while not illegal in the sense of the word very tricky all the same. Come now, just look at Chevron and BHP as examples on the top of my head, that the tax office is actually attempting to recuperate considerable sums.
The case's were both about the interpretation of complex and often vague taxation legislation.

Apart from the sums involved its really no different to individuals claiming work expenses they can not,. If the ATO were ever able to track down every false or unsubstantiated claim made, by every individual taxpayer going back several years, it would make the cheveron and BHP payouts look like pocket money

Of course the cost of fully checking every reciept every individual holds would also be horrendous. Which is why they usually go for multnationals. Its higher reward for less effort.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The case's were both about the interpretation of complex and often vague taxation legislation.

Apart from the sums involved its really no different to individuals claiming work expenses they can not,. If the ATO were ever able to track down every false or unsubstantiated claim made, by every individual taxpayer going back several years, it would make the cheveron and BHP payouts look like pocket money

Of course the cost of fully checking every reciept every individual holds would also be horrendous. Which is why they usually go for multnationals. Its higher reward for less effort.
Simply untrue. It was after the 2016 fiasco with the Panama papers and corporate tax avoidance became well known in the public domain that signs of some interest flickered. Even the Tory government (impossible to term Lib's) O'Dwyer commitment to go ahead and establish a registry to assist eradicate national tax avoidance only to deny such a commitment was ever made recently. Hence they do not go after multi nationals as they tend to use legal tax avoidance schemes.
Pay as you go, or small business far easier to go after and intimidate.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Simply untrue. It was after the 2016 fiasco with the Panama papers and corporate tax avoidance became well known in the public domain that signs of some interest flickered. Even the Tory government (impossible to term Lib's) O'Dwyer commitment to go ahead and establish a registry to assist eradicate national tax avoidance only to deny such a commitment was ever made recently. Hence they do not go after multi nationals as they tend to use legal tax avoidance schemes.
I manage an accounting practice for a living. In 15 years of experience working with SBE's. Not once have I had to pass an ATO audit matter onto a client. The only things i have ever had major issues with are payroll tax audits, the states are very good at discovering that.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I manage an accounting practice for a living. In 15 years of experience working with SBE's. Not once have I had to pass an ATO audit matter onto a client. The only things i have ever had major issues with are payroll tax audits, the states are very good at discovering that.
I am aware you work in the 'industry', which 'confuses me' why you would state the ATO goes after the top end and corporate multi nationals which is far removed from being the case.
As shown, yet again, by recent government announcements, little could be further from their minds, their main donors after all.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I am aware you work in the 'industry', which 'confuses me' why you would state the ATO goes after the top end and corporate multi nationals which is far removed from being the case.
As shown, yet again, by recent government announcements, little could be further from their minds, their main donors after all.
Experience over media hype

Old 02-12-2019, 07:34 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
The Panama Papers came out in 2016, the judgement in the Chevron case was handed down in October 2015. There is no such thing as legal tax avoidance.

What daniel says is right, the ATO is far more interested in large taxpayers than the local fruit shop.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
The Panama Papers came out in 2016, the judgement in the Chevron case was handed down in October 2015. There is no such thing as legal tax avoidance.

What daniel says is right, the ATO is far more interested in large taxpayers than the local fruit shop.
No such thing, lol. Not only is there such a thing but getting away with a fortune. ATO targets various sections periodically. I believe uber drivers and the accommodation sector are most recent to come under some degree of scrutiny. The big corporate aggressive tax minimisers would be unlikely to come to that posters direct attention. No reason why they wouldn't of course have awareness of it.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Experience over media hype
One third not paying tax, not media hype but ATO figures. Media being for the most part pro business and a such hardly sympathetic to finding fault with what they essentially are or owned by.

Same applied to banking fiasco ,especially Murdoch press. Best to look further afield for results.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
No such thing, lol.
Yeah no such thing. Or is Part IVA in the ITAA just make believe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand