U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 553 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Me and my fiancee have a plan to go on vacation to Australia next year. I don't know why, but Australia is in my dreams since childhood Since we are from Lithuania, it will be quite expensive trip for us - we saved money for it few years. We will have around 3 weeks for travel. My question is, what would be the best route for us to travel for such period? We will rent a mini bus (I don't know how it is called, but a bus where we could sleep) and would like to see a wonderful nature. Happy to hear any advise from you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 05:21 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,104,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasame View Post
Hello everyone,

Me and my fiancee have a plan to go on vacation to Australia next year. I don't know why, but Australia is in my dreams since childhood Since we are from Lithuania, it will be quite expensive trip for us - we saved money for it few years. We will have around 3 weeks for travel. My question is, what would be the best route for us to travel for such period? We will rent a mini bus (I don't know how it is called, but a bus where we could sleep) and would like to see a wonderful nature. Happy to hear any advise from you

You mean camper van, I think. Good way to do it and should help costs a bit. Three weeks is not long. It is impossible to say the best route, as it depends on your personal preferences.

I would personally do the most differing locations from the European landscape as possible. That would be the North of Australia. Far North Queensland, Northern Territory and Northern West Australia.

As I mentioned on another thread. Australian cities tend to lack the vibe of European ones, and perhaps outside of Sydney, especially on such a short time frame, hardly worth the expense, or time.

Camp in free camping grounds or 'rough' where possible. This will be more difficult in cities (almost impossible, as policed) in built up areas.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You mean camper van, I think. Good way to do it and should help costs a bit. Three weeks is not long. It is impossible to say the best route, as it depends on your personal preferences.

I would personally do the most differing locations from the European landscape as possible. That would be the North of Australia. Far North Queensland, Northern Territory and Northern West Australia.

As I mentioned on another thread. Australian cities tend to lack the vibe of European ones, and perhaps outside of Sydney, especially on such a short time frame, hardly worth the expense, or time.

Camp in free camping grounds or 'rough' where possible. This will be more difficult in cities (almost impossible, as policed) in built up areas.
I have not thought about the North of Australia. Most people recommend the Great Ocean road, what is your opinion about it? Our preferences are to see nature which differs from European, to visit national parks and similar things.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 PM

105 posts, read 111,941 times
Quote:
I have not thought about the North of Australia. Most people recommend the Great Ocean road, what is your opinion about it? Our preferences are to see nature which differs from European, to visit national parks and similar things.
Obviously my opinion is entirely subjective, however I do not feel The Great Ocean Road is a good choice at all if you're coming all this way to Aus.

I'd agree with Troubadour, far north Queensland you've got jungles and beaches. Northern territory you've got Kakadu and the desert, North western Australia you've got crazy scenery. All VERY different to European landscapes.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:59 PM

611 posts, read 218,384 times
What time of year are you coming? That makes a big difference. The classic backpackers/camper van route is Cairns to Sydney and that is all you would be able to cover in three weeks. If you travel quickly you would get up to the north of Cairns and a day or two to the south of Sydney.

Alternatively you could drive from Perth through the Kimberley and Broome to Darwin. A lot of long empty stretches on that trip. Or from Darwin through Alic Springs and Uluru to Adelaide. But you cannot do it all in three weeks. Australia is nearly the size of Europe.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:

The GOR is fine in itself, but is it worth coming all the way to Australia for? You could do it in two days. Four days, lingering a bit. Some pleasant seaside towns, but even if decided a week, where to then in the frame of time allowed? The cities will prove expensive. The GOR is very popular with Europeans, among others, so hardly much differing there.

If you guys are into nature decide between the routes I earlier mentioned. You could even fly to Perth, pick up a camper van, and head North without much delay, stopping at places like Ningaloo Reef , Broome (Kimberly are a highlight in my opinion) Kununurra to Darwin (very heavily policed there though for those attempting to sleep free in camper vans or rough, hence go further out or stay in a Backpackers) from there to The Alice (be wary of crime there) back up the Stuart (you have Katherine en route, well worth stopping over) and take the road to QLD. Fly out of Brisbane.

Note. We know folk from Germany, that a few months ago done the Cairns to Brisbane route and got rained out most the entire journey. They experienced further wet weather in NSW heading to Sydney to catch their flight back. Very bad luck. That was summer. Remember summer in Australia, is the wet season up North. These people experienced a cyclone of some intensity that lingered for a number of days, almost from the day they arrived.

Hence time of year, will prove very important. (depending on location)

Old 02-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
What time of year are you coming? That makes a big difference. The classic backpackers/camper van route is Cairns to Sydney and that is all you would be able to cover in three weeks. If you travel quickly you would get up to the north of Cairns and a day or two to the south of Sydney.

Alternatively you could drive from Perth through the Kimberley and Broome to Darwin. A lot of long empty stretches on that trip. Or from Darwin through Alic Springs and Uluru to Adelaide. But you cannot do it all in three weeks. Australia is nearly the size of Europe.
Repeated largely,without noticing. I agree time will make the planning hard pressed to 'get it' all in.
The size and logistics of Australia, is simply unimaginable to most Europeans.
But then Australians, Americans, touring Europe, too often make the mistake of cramming too many countries into a short tour, amounting to the ' If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium' syndrome .

Old 02-23-2019, 01:34 PM

5 posts, read 553 times
Thank you for your replies.
We are thinking to travel in March. Would it be good time for traveling in North of Australia?
Anything else to have in mind while traveling in Australia?

Old 02-23-2019, 04:08 PM

611 posts, read 218,384 times
If you only want to go to the north, April would be better. North is still the end of the wet season and even if not wet it can be incredibly humid. We were in the Kimberley a t the end of April one year and it was still very hot and humid then, though dry.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 PM

232 posts, read 76,952 times
I recommend you to also visit an outback region in Australia, as that is very different from Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or