U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 AM

2,602 posts, read 3,148,191 times

Advertisements

Elections not too far off. Sooner for NSW. Australia appears at least from a West Coast perspective, to be a nation of diminishing returns.

Declining housing ownership due to over inflated prices, now thankfully in decline. A younger generation, that no longer, for many feel that house ownership is worth the sacrifice, or simply don't feel it worth the effort.

WA was the go getter not too many years ago, now has the highest unemployment in Australia. 6% I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 05:38 PM

Just a thought. No one under the age of say forty five, has ever experienced a recession in Australia.

Australia has been incredibly lucky, being able to ride so well on the rise of China, thus negating the most serious effects of the 08 GFC.

It has become somewhat clear, that Australia, will be less likely to get by, on 'luck' alone, as realities both at home and within the region, come home to roost.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:33 AM

According to Bank of International Settlements, (BIS) Australia has the second highest household debt in the world.

That's just behind Switzerland

Old 03-09-2019, 01:48 AM

Talking about fairness, Is Australia, still the Land of the Fair Go? Old clichés die hard, but having, what is close to 14% of the population living under the Poverty Line , while some 30% are working in insecure employment, it does seem something of a long passed notion.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:31 PM

10,057 posts, read 11,525,653 times
Going forward, I worry about Australia's water problem with a growing population. With much of the country in drought, there isn't a lot of water to go around. I can only hope that relatively cheap desalination technology becomes available in the near future.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:28 AM

A sound point deneb78 . The scarcity of water has long been a concern to further population growth. Although it appears to matter less in more recent times, with record population growth in our cities, but little growth in the regions.

I have heard comments like following the Israeli example, in 'allowing the deserts to bloom' , but Israel is a far smaller country , but still perhaps some lesions can be learnt.

I don't see over burdening our cities with continued record growth, while infrastructure lags, poor planning, conflicting outcomes though being of benefit, outside of keeping GDP artificially high and putting a break on wage growth.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,343,372 times
How about some ground rules first.

Are differing points of view from your own allowed as part of the discussion?

Are we allowed to speak of things other than the matters already highlighted above, which you speak of consistently all the time anyway?

Old 03-19-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Are we allowed to speak of things other than the matters already highlighted above, which you speak of consistently all the time anyway?
No ground rules required sport. But ta very much for the asking together with the sarcasm. Really you can put your hand down now, its outside class time. It's an open forum. Feel free to change the narrative, if it suits in some way the thread title.

I speak of constantly , probably because of the gravity of the situation evoked due to the matters raised. Oh, but wait anything too serious is judged on here as judgemental with a negative approach. Far better we leave out the 'nasty things' and focus only on 'feel good' topis.

AS usual, if I have differing points I will respond accordingly. Do feel free to disagree as well. All I ask, is if possible, Just build an argument for those grounds of disagreement in a cohesive manner, but if too much, no matter, fire away.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM

2,438 posts, read 3,093,086 times
Quote:
how about some ground rules first.

lol.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM

6,809 posts, read 3,268,924 times
Quote:

dont you get it WE SUCK but hey I'm still going to live here despite travelling to over 100 countries )))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand