U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 07:14 PM

647 posts, read 1,113,828 times

Advertisements

I just arrived a few days ago to Brisbane for the first time. I've heard a lot about how similar Brisbane and southern Queensland are to Southern California, but for me I can not get over how much it feels like Hawaii. I've lived in both Honolulu and on the Hilo side of the Big Island. The Brisbane CBD, albeit a little bit more metropolitan and slightly cleaner has such a similar feel to downtown Honolulu. Queen Street mall = Fort Street Mall, the Fortitude Valley = Hotel Street, just the general ambiance, architecture, even fashion are strikingly similar to me. I'm staying out in Coorparoo and the southern suburbs remind me so much of the Big Island. The sub-tropical foliage is the same, queenslander houses are the same as "plantation style" houses in HI, the rolling hills and the shape of the land is similar, and at least this time of year, the climate are similar. Obviously there are differences between these two places, but the general feeling of being in both places is leaving me with a strange sense of deja vu, and this is my first time on your shores. I assume the more northern parts of Queensland have similarities to the more rural tropical areas of Hawaii as well. Has anyone else spent time in both Hawaii and Southern Queensland? I'm excited to see the rest of the country, I love it so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 07:46 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,341,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I just arrived a few days ago to Brisbane for the first time. I've heard a lot about how similar Brisbane and southern Queensland are to Southern California, but for me I can not get over how much it feels like Hawaii. I've lived in both Honolulu and on the Hilo side of the Big Island. The Brisbane CBD, albeit a little bit more metropolitan and slightly cleaner has such a similar feel to downtown Honolulu. Queen Street mall = Fort Street Mall, the Fortitude Valley = Hotel Street, just the general ambiance, architecture, even fashion are strikingly similar to me. I'm staying out in Coorparoo and the southern suburbs remind me so much of the Big Island. The sub-tropical foliage is the same, queenslander houses are the same as "plantation style" houses in HI, the rolling hills and the shape of the land is similar, and at least this time of year, the climate are similar. Obviously there are differences between these two places, but the general feeling of being in both places is leaving me with a strange sense of deja vu, and this is my first time on your shores. I assume the more northern parts of Queensland have similarities to the more rural tropical areas of Hawaii as well. Has anyone else spent time in both Hawaii and Southern Queensland? I'm excited to see the rest of the country, I love it so far
Interesting, though i have never been to Hawaii. Its good to see your staying on the south side.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:40 AM

1,009 posts, read 611,771 times
It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after you've gotten out of Brisbane a little and visited places like the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after you've gotten out of Brisbane a little and visited places like the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast.
Went down to the Gold Coast - Miami Beach and Burleigh last weekend. The residential parts of Miami, strangely enough reminded me a lot of the residential areas of Miami Florida. Similar architecture, suburbial layout, and pretty flat landscape. Surfers Paradise is quite similar to Waikiki - Skyscrapers and over-the-top tourist shops right up to the sand. I also thought the town of Burleigh had a similar feel to Kailua, Hawaii.. QLD obviously has a bit of a commonwealth flare to it that Hawaii doesn't, but I keep getting this "I've been here before" feeling from pretty much everywhere I've been so far. I think one thing that may make it more comfortable for me, is that I'm used to living in Spain, so compared to that, everything here is very close to what I was used to when I lived in the USA. Headed up to the Sunshine Coast this weekend

Last edited by wikiwikirunner; 03-11-2019 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,341,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Went down to the Gold Coast - Miami Beach and Burleigh last weekend. The residential parts of Miami, strangely enough reminded me a lot of the residential areas of Miami Florida. Similar architecture, suburbial layout, and pretty flat landscape. Surfers Paradise is quite similar to Waikiki - Skyscrapers and over-the-top tourist shops right up to the sand. I also thought the town of Burleigh had a similar feel to Kailua, Hawaii.. QLD obviously has a bit of a commonwealth flare to it that Hawaii doesn't, but I keep getting this "I've been here before" feeling from pretty much everywhere I've been so far. I think one thing that may make it more comfortable for me, is that I'm used to living in Spain, so compared to that, everything here is very close to what I was used to when I lived in the USA. Headed up to the Sunshine Coast this weekend
If you get the opportunity i recommend you go up into the hills and mountain areas just behind the coasts. Small towns rainforests, narrow windy roads and lakes aplenty. Personally i like the coastal hinterland areas far more than the actual beaches.

Though they might not be all that great at the moment due to the lack of rain .

Old 03-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
If you get the opportunity i recommend you go up into the hills and mountain areas just behind the coasts. Small towns rainforests, narrow windy roads and lakes aplenty. Personally i like the coastal hinterland areas far more than the actual beaches.

Thanks for the recommendation! That really sounds like my cuppa tea, luckily I have a few locals showing me around. One of my friends here is from somewhere in the mountains above the gold coast (the name escapes me), so we'll make it up to his parent's house at some point. My girlfriend (main reason for my trip) is also originally from a small town about an hour inland from the Sunshine Coast, so I'll get up there in due time.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:38 AM

629 posts, read 290,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

What a difference a week makes! We've had 8 inches since Friday. Much needed.

How was the rest of your time in our part of the world wikiwikirunner?

Old Today, 02:26 AM

6,809 posts, read 3,267,623 times
Interesting comparison. I quite like Brisbane so Honolulu would be right up my alley. Both Hawaii and Queensland have reputation of being laid back - have you noticed this?

Old Today, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

How was the rest of your time in our part of the world wikiwikirunner?
Well, I'm here for almost 3 months.. so far so good. Going to Straddy this Saturday and probably up to the Sunshine Coast on Sunday if weather permits. I've made some good friends over the years from Brisbane and now am dating a Brisbane girl, so I'm in good hands. I'm here for long enough where I'm living a more normal Brisbane life with tourism sprinkled in. I really enjoy the balance of life here, there's a real casual air about life that you don't get in most of the USA (and maybe they have a little too much of in Spain)- you guys certainly take time to enjoy yourselves and not stress out too much, but everyone seems well structured and motivated at the same time. I'm so used to Spain where everything happens slowly and whole days and weeks get away from you. I'll keep you guys posted on my thoughts as I see more places

In regards to other comparisons with Hawaii, I think if you mashed all of Hawaii up into one area it would be very close to what I've seen of QLD so far. Obviously Hawaii is a group of islands, so the good parts of Hawaii are spread out across the islands and require a flight inbetween. So this might sound kind of like "water is wet," but I really like how everything here is connected. In Hawaii, you really only have sprawling city on one island, with all the other islands being a varying degree of rural-ness. And while Oahu does have some good landscape, the best geography, forests, beaches, jungles etc. are found on the more rural islands. So you really have to choose between overly urban or overly rural, depending on which island you were on, so it's nicer when it's all on one landmass. Anyway I'm just rambling a bit at this point.. I'm having a great time here so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or