U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 02:53 PM

1,959 posts, read 605,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'll tell you how my position is different to a murdering Islamic extremist - I'm a progressive Humanist who believes that religion is the greatest outlier when it comes to promoting the message that no one deserves to be threatened with violence and suffering, for their beliefs. If you think that is the same sentiment as the Islamic extremist, I would be interested in why this is so ..... another assignment, so better sharpen your pencil.
What you choose to call yourself means nothing to me. The arguments you presented here make you come across like a fundamentalist. Excusing murder, is a fundamentalist position. End of. You wanna talk about the philosophical problems with Islam, go to the religious section and open a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 03:10 PM

16,953 posts, read 13,534,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
What you choose to call yourself means nothing to me. The arguments you presented here make you come across like a fundamentalist. Excusing murder, is a fundamentalist position. End of. You wanna talk about the philosophical problems with Islam, go to the religious section and open a new thread.
What arguments? There's only one argument from me - that Islam is a religion that endorses suffering and intolerance to those that don't share it's beliefs.

I guess I am a fundamentalist -I fundamentally believe that teaching, is wrong.

You'll have to show me where I've excused murder, although I'm starting to see that you won't back the claims you've made.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:20 PM

2,933 posts, read 3,282,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Bang on.....The poster makes it all too simple to read between the lines, or above them in their case, of the values and ideology that they stand for. Humanist disposition, my foot.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
What arguments? There's only one argument from me - that Islam is a religion that endorses suffering and intolerance to those that don't share it's beliefs.

I guess I am a fundamentalist -I fundamentally believe that teaching, is wrong.

You'll have to show me where I've excused murder, although I'm starting to see that you won't back the claims you've made.
It is a belief system that one third of humanity live by. Definitely making the majority more accountable as human beings.
Really get over your self. No one is attempting to drag you into something, in your ignorance, you find too overwhelming to be of an open mind in yourself, but then slander those people who do worship by sprouting with continuity such views.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Bang on.....The poster makes it all too simple to read between the lines, or above them in their case, of the values and ideology that they stand for. Humanist disposition, my foot.
What lines? There's only one line - that I think the belief that non believers should suffer torture, is hateful and intolerant?

Old 03-19-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
It is a belief system that one third of humanity live by. Definitely making the majority more accountable as human beings.
Really get over your self. No one is attempting to drag you into something, in your ignorance, you find too overwhelming to be of an open mind in yourself, but then slander those people who do worship by sprouting with continuity such views.
How can a person be slandered, by that which they endorse?

Who needs the open mind here? - the one pointing out the hatred and intolerance promoted by a religion? .... or the one who endorses a religion, that teaches suffering is the just fate of those who don't share their belief/

Old 03-19-2019, 06:46 PM

129 posts, read 32,774 times
Quote:
I feel it is always appropriate, as long as a message of hate and intolerance is being promoted, through reverence of a holy book -hate and intolerance, don't take holidays....

...I'm a progressive Humanist
Where, on this thread, has the message of hate and intolerance been promoted? Where has anyone held the Koran in reverence? You said your comments here are appropriate for those reasons yet I find no such endorsement of their beliefs by anyone.

As for being a progressive humanist... Carl Coon follower?

He (Carl Coon) asserted that Europe was the refined product of a long history of racial progression. He also believed the history of the White race involved "racial survivals" of White "subraces."

Coon's theories on race are widely rejected by modern anthropologists for unsubstantiated claims of European superiority to all other races.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue.red View Post
Where, on this thread, has the message of hate and intolerance been promoted? Where has anyone held the Koran in reverence? You said your comments here are appropriate for those reasons yet I find no such endorsement of their beliefs by anyone.

As for being a progressive humanist... Carl Coon follower?

He (Carl Coon) asserted that Europe was the refined product of a long history of racial progression. He also believed the history of the White race involved "racial survivals" of White "subraces."

Coon's theories on race are widely rejected by modern anthropologists for unsubstantiated claims of European superiority to all other races.
Posters aren't saying it, it's part of Islam.

My initial comment started in response to it being highlighted that is was attack on Muslims, not just New Zealanders. My (non direct ) response to that statement, was the I don't have sympathy for Muslims (because of Islam's abhorrent belief), only the people involved.

Not sure why you've mentioned the race stuff -perhaps you think I racist?

Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
What lines? There's only one line - that I think the belief that non believers should suffer torture, is hateful and intolerant?
The line of spreading intolerance and hatred, while attempting to wrap it up as honest debate. That being the line of Hard Right, Islamophobes.

As already mentioned the ideology of the Hard Right and Radical Islam, are equally despicable. Both having amazing similarities.

Not an ounce of compassion under the circumstances either. Blinded by hatred and fear. Unable to debate, besides picking random quotes and keep repeating them. Akin to a commercial jingle. Play it enough times with the hope that the masses or part of will fall for the lies.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Posters aren't saying it, it's part of Islam.

My initial comment started in response to it being highlighted that is was attack on Muslims, not just New Zealanders. My (non direct ) response to that statement, was the I don't have sympathy for Muslims (because of Islam's abhorrent belief), only the people involved.

Not sure why you've mentioned the race stuff -perhaps you think I racist?
Simply because it was NOT an attack on New Zealanders, but a specific group from within society.

So if a Muslim in hijab was being attacked/ridiculed in the street in New Zealand, your sympathy would not be not the come to the defence of the victim, but to have 'sympathy ' for all involved.

Or would it be that the hijab wearer was 'asking for it' to dare going out in such attire in public, and that the attacker had every right to react accordingly?

Just further explains why the Far Right on all sides need to be confronted at every turn , if we have any chance at all to make the world a better, safer place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or