Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:50 PM

129 posts, read 69,630 times

Advertisements

Nearly a million dollars in donations has already been raised for the families of the victims. Jacinda Arden has vowed that gun laws will change in light of this tragedy and is investigating with NZ Intelligence agencies hadn't been watch the offenders social media accounts when he was so open and prolific about his extremist views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times
While it is indeed a sorry day for New Zealanders, it is especially so for the Islamic community, obviously in NZ, but around the world generally. It should be remembered, they as a group were specially singled out for execution on grounds of their region alone.
All I read is 'Standing together with NZ', which is a fine sentiment, in itself, but doesn't express that it was not random New Zealanders targeted by a group within NZ society. If we are at all serious about displaying disgust at what happened and send a clear message it should reaffirm Muslims are a part of society as with all other groups and show disgust by directly speaking out against Islamic hate and definitely not isolating that community.
Jacinda Arden, the NZ Prime Minister, made a good speech yesterday, I thought. Lets show some remorse for the group that was targeted.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
No one is pretending it wasn't a targeted attack on Muslims. No one.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
My sympathy lies with them as people, not as their religion.

When this horrific situation dies down, Muslims will still be people who believe that I should burn in hell, for my crime of non belief.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:24 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
It is a global tragedy with victims of different nationalities. Upto 9 Indians are suspected to have died in this attack. More details are coming as name of victims will be declared in due process of time. One person in India actually saw his brother being shot in social media video. It is an attack against immigrants. Heart - wrenching and Despicable !!!

Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
It is a global tragedy with victims of different nationalities. Upto 9 Indians are suspected to have died in this attack. More details are coming as name of victims will be declared in due process of time. One person in India actually saw his brother being shot in social media video. It is an attack against immigrants. Heart - wrenching and Despicable !!!
The person who did this is truly an evil savage. I am an American and as everyone knows we see these kinds of mass shootings a lot. Many blame our second amendment rights. This however does not make sense, we have had our “gun culture “ for centuries. Mass shootings are a modern problem, only in the past 20 years has this madness become so common in our nation. People are changing, they are doing things no one would have done decades ago. Mental illness is not being treated, crazy people are everywhere.

I know New Zealand is a peaceful and beautiful country. I am truly sorry this type of savagery has visited your shores. We Americans feel for you as we sadly understand this all too well.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
No one is pretending it wasn't a targeted attack on Muslims. No one.

Pretending or not the word Muslim is not really in use to any degree that I have noticed. They were the group targeted, not New Zealanders, in general.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My sympathy lies with them as people, not as their religion.

When this horrific situation dies down, Muslims will still be people who believe that I should burn in hell, for my crime of non belief.
No more so than 'extreme' Christians. Best not to put a point of view over, suggestive of being the belief of all Muslims. Simply because it is not the case. Some will think akin to conservatives of all faiths, while others maintain a more liberal interpretation.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The person who did this is truly an evil savage. I am an American and as everyone knows we see these kinds of mass shootings a lot. Many blame our second amendment rights. This however does not make sense, we have had our “gun culture “ for centuries. Mass shootings are a modern problem, only in the past 20 years has this madness become so common in our nation. People are changing, they are doing things no one would have done decades ago. Mental illness is not being treated, crazy people are everywhere.

I know New Zealand is a peaceful and beautiful country. I am truly sorry this type of savagery has visited your shores. We Americans feel for you as we sadly understand this all too well.
Indeed. Yet oddly enough this person will go down as a type of 'hero' for the cause, among those wishing to spread terror and incite and inflame a race/religious war.
This, while a mass shooting, was clearly targeted at a specific group. Not just mass slayings, all too common in America, although you too have had your share of wanna be white warriors taking out innocent folk due to their race.

This is not mental illness in the traditional sense, but something more insidious and dangerous inflicting great damage on our societies, from every angle you look at it.

Who would have thought a white racist would take out so many folk, in a country like Norway?
Are countries judged 'innocent' and seen as soft targets perhaps more at risk?

Old 03-16-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Several nationalities named to date. Include Indonesians, Malaysians, Saudi's, but don't recall others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand