U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2019, 04:50 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
129 posts, read 27,942 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

Nearly a million dollars in donations has already been raised for the families of the victims. Jacinda Arden has vowed that gun laws will change in light of this tragedy and is investigating with NZ Intelligence agencies hadn't been watch the offenders social media accounts when he was so open and prolific about his extremist views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 3,212,004 times
Reputation: 1552
While it is indeed a sorry day for New Zealanders, it is especially so for the Islamic community, obviously in NZ, but around the world generally. It should be remembered, they as a group were specially singled out for execution on grounds of their region alone.
All I read is 'Standing together with NZ', which is a fine sentiment, in itself, but doesn't express that it was not random New Zealanders targeted by a group within NZ society. If we are at all serious about displaying disgust at what happened and send a clear message it should reaffirm Muslims are a part of society as with all other groups and show disgust by directly speaking out against Islamic hate and definitely not isolating that community.
Jacinda Arden, the NZ Prime Minister, made a good speech yesterday, I thought. Lets show some remorse for the group that was targeted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Various
775 posts, read 318,431 times
Reputation: 756
No one is pretending it wasn't a targeted attack on Muslims. No one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
16,792 posts, read 13,330,079 times
Reputation: 5404
My sympathy lies with them as people, not as their religion.

When this horrific situation dies down, Muslims will still be people who believe that I should burn in hell, for my crime of non belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 07:24 PM
 
Location: World
3,547 posts, read 3,435,720 times
Reputation: 2444
It is a global tragedy with victims of different nationalities. Upto 9 Indians are suspected to have died in this attack. More details are coming as name of victims will be declared in due process of time. One person in India actually saw his brother being shot in social media video. It is an attack against immigrants. Heart - wrenching and Despicable !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,267 posts, read 7,280,076 times
Reputation: 10636
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
It is a global tragedy with victims of different nationalities. Upto 9 Indians are suspected to have died in this attack. More details are coming as name of victims will be declared in due process of time. One person in India actually saw his brother being shot in social media video. It is an attack against immigrants. Heart - wrenching and Despicable !!!
The person who did this is truly an evil savage. I am an American and as everyone knows we see these kinds of mass shootings a lot. Many blame our second amendment rights. This however does not make sense, we have had our “gun culture “ for centuries. Mass shootings are a modern problem, only in the past 20 years has this madness become so common in our nation. People are changing, they are doing things no one would have done decades ago. Mental illness is not being treated, crazy people are everywhere.

I know New Zealand is a peaceful and beautiful country. I am truly sorry this type of savagery has visited your shores. We Americans feel for you as we sadly understand this all too well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 12:02 AM
 
2,781 posts, read 3,212,004 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
No one is pretending it wasn't a targeted attack on Muslims. No one.

Pretending or not the word Muslim is not really in use to any degree that I have noticed. They were the group targeted, not New Zealanders, in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 AM
 
2,781 posts, read 3,212,004 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My sympathy lies with them as people, not as their religion.

When this horrific situation dies down, Muslims will still be people who believe that I should burn in hell, for my crime of non belief.
No more so than 'extreme' Christians. Best not to put a point of view over, suggestive of being the belief of all Muslims. Simply because it is not the case. Some will think akin to conservatives of all faiths, while others maintain a more liberal interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 12:17 AM
 
2,781 posts, read 3,212,004 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The person who did this is truly an evil savage. I am an American and as everyone knows we see these kinds of mass shootings a lot. Many blame our second amendment rights. This however does not make sense, we have had our “gun culture “ for centuries. Mass shootings are a modern problem, only in the past 20 years has this madness become so common in our nation. People are changing, they are doing things no one would have done decades ago. Mental illness is not being treated, crazy people are everywhere.

I know New Zealand is a peaceful and beautiful country. I am truly sorry this type of savagery has visited your shores. We Americans feel for you as we sadly understand this all too well.
Indeed. Yet oddly enough this person will go down as a type of 'hero' for the cause, among those wishing to spread terror and incite and inflame a race/religious war.
This, while a mass shooting, was clearly targeted at a specific group. Not just mass slayings, all too common in America, although you too have had your share of wanna be white warriors taking out innocent folk due to their race.


This is not mental illness in the traditional sense, but something more insidious and dangerous inflicting great damage on our societies, from every angle you look at it.


Who would have thought a white racist would take out so many folk, in a country like Norway?
Are countries judged 'innocent' and seen as soft targets perhaps more at risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 12:19 AM
 
2,781 posts, read 3,212,004 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
It is a global tragedy with victims of different nationalities. Upto 9 Indians are suspected to have died in this attack. More details are coming as name of victims will be declared in due process of time. One person in India actually saw his brother being shot in social media video. It is an attack against immigrants. Heart - wrenching and Despicable !!!
Several nationalities named to date. Include Indonesians, Malaysians, Saudi's, but don't recall others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top