Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:27 AM

827 posts, read 630,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My sympathy lies with them as people, not as their religion.

When this horrific situation dies down, Muslims will still be people who believe that I should burn in hell, for my crime of non belief.

Yeap, people have quickly forget all the terrorists attacks by muslim in europe. And the supports the terrorists get from the muslim community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
No more so than 'extreme' Christians. Best not to put a point of view over, suggestive of being the belief of all Muslims. Simply because it is not the case. Some will think akin to conservatives of all faiths, while others maintain a more liberal interpretation.
I'm just going by what the Koran says - if you endorse a belief system, you validate it's dictates, unless you specifically state otherwise.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Yeap, people have quickly forget all the terrorists attacks by muslim in europe. And the supports the terrorists get from the muslim community.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:33 AM

129 posts, read 69,545 times
Quote:
Comments like that are unnecessary and ignorant. We are grieving over the murder of 49 kiwis; 49 men, women and children who were savagely wiped out by a (white)terrorist.

Women get raped by men so should we be glad when men get murdered because some are bad?

I don't support their religious beliefs but then I don't support christian beliefs either. I judge people by their actions, not their beliefs.

Terrorists and Muslims are not synonymous and the massacre here is Christchurch proved that. Here in New Zealand we have had no issues with our Muslim community. They are respectable, hard-working kiwis who deserve and will get our respect and support.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm just going by what the Koran says - if you endorse a belief system, you validate it's dictates, unless you specifically state otherwise.
What about what the bible says?

And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them," God says through the prophet Samuel. "But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."

Ignorance is everywhere.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Pretending or not the word Muslim is not really in use to any degree that I have noticed. They were the group targeted, not New Zealanders, in general.
To be fair, if we don't use the word 'Muslim' it's not because we don't want to acknowledge their religion, it's because first and foremost, they are New Zealanders, kiwis who just happen to be Muslim as well. We want the world to know that they were our kin and feel their loss keenly.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:52 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
Quote:
Nobody is forgetting those attacks, but just like this one, they represent the views of a minor subset of the population. There are extremists on both sides.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:08 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue.red View Post
To be fair, if we don't use the word 'Muslim' it's not because we don't want to acknowledge them, it's because first and foremost, they are New Zealanders, kiwis who just happen to be Muslim as well. We want the world to know that they were our kin and feel their loss keenly.
That’s a noble sentiment, but one that I don’t think is very helpful, sadly. If Muslims were specifically targeted then the attack is directed at them.

The synagogue shooting that happened in Pittsburgh targeted Jews.
The Quebec mosque shooting targeted Muslims
The Pulse club one was motivated by homophobia

All of the above are very much terrorist attacks perpetrated by delusional lunatics, but they were aimed at a specific groups.

The 2017 Vegas shooting on the other hand is a terrorist attack targeting Americans in general since it did not discriminate. Same goes to Bataclan in France.

I believe that the distinction is important as it highlights the groups at risk. Of course, as a nation it is imperative to treat them all equally and recognize those as attacks against citizens.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That’s a noble sentiment, but one that I don’t think is very helpful, sadly. If Muslims were specifically targeted then the attack is directed at them.

The synagogue shooting that happened in Pittsburgh targeted Jews.
The Quebec mosque shooting targeted Muslims
The Pulse club one was motivated by homophobia

All of the above are very much terrorist attacks perpetrated by delusional lunatics, but they were aimed at a specific groups.

The 2017 Vegas shooting on the other hand is a terrorist attack targeting Americans in general since it did not discriminate. Same goes to Bataclan in France.

I believe that the distinction is important as it highlights the groups at risk. Of course, as a nation it is imperative to treat them all equally and recognize those as attacks against citizens.
I understand what you're saying but I wasn't meaning we ignore/gloss over their religion in general or all the time. I meant that the reason why we have refrained from referring to them as Muslim recently is because we want to press home the fact that an attack on Muslims who live in New Zealand is an attack on NZ. It doesn't mean we aren't dealing with the ugly truth of terrorism or what motivates it. 'Muslim' has become a loaded word that people associate with terrorists so we need to modify the narrative to ensure we're being heard. They were people, our people, and Muslim.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue.red View Post
To be fair, if we don't use the word 'Muslim' it's not because we don't want to acknowledge their religion, it's because first and foremost, they are New Zealanders, kiwis who just happen to be Muslim as well. We want the world to know that they were our kin and feel their loss keenly.

That's a way of thinking.

But does they consider themself as new zealanders or muslim in first?

Many survey in europe about muslim population underline strange results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand