Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I'll await the poster that claimed Australia is a multi cultural country to explain reasoning. You can free fel to offer your views meanwhile on the matter, of course.
Some have stated inter racial marriages as a pointer towards becoming a multi cultural country. Then I have known many, with few on the local side adapting a multi cultural approach, in areas such as learning the partners language. I'm not sure purely eating cuisine of other cultures, necessary evokes a multi cultural society.
More the case from my experience, again (nobody has pointed out where this two thirds Aboriginal claim of inter marriage, actually takes place, as I have never witnessed it) but back on cue, most partners from overseas are 'forced' to adapt to the prevailing culture. do most really believe integration is not a more likely outcome than local partner taking on much more than token aspects of partners imported culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 02:09 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
No while we are a settler nation, we not a multi cultural nation. Regardless of what they say on the Weetie box packet cover. We are a nation that has a few different races living within it. Numerous in clusters , which can exert influence in elections, within those areas. But the culture remains the majority host one that being Anglo/Celtic.
multicultural
(mʌltikʌltʃərəl ) also multi-cultural
adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]
Multicultural means consisting of or relating to people of many different nationalities and cultures.

From our Census: We come from almost everywhere on the planet – from nearly 200 countries in the world. With more than one in four of us born overseas, more than 300 languages spoken in our homes, more than 100 religions and more than 300 different ancestries, our cultural diversity is enormously rich.

2024.0 - Census of Population and Housing: Australia Revealed, 2016

A few different races.........

Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
multicultural
(mʌltikʌltʃərəl ) also multi-cultural
adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]
Multicultural means consisting of or relating to people of many different nationalities and cultures.

From our Census: We come from almost everywhere on the planet – from nearly 200 countries in the world. With more than one in four of us born overseas, more than 300 languages spoken in our homes, more than 100 religions and more than 300 different ancestries, our cultural diversity is enormously rich.

2024.0 - Census of Population and Housing: Australia Revealed, 2016

A few different races.........
Read what I said. Australia has over recent times added to its racial mix. (from being one of the more homogeneous until the late seventies/into the eighties) That in itself does not amount to a multi cultural nation, when the one defining culture is overly dominant.

Not in my book anyway. Such stats quoted are found in many cities of international status, that term themselves cosmopolitan due to diverse birth places, racial and religious composition.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Read what I said. Australia has over recent times added to its racial mix. (from being one of the more homogeneous until the late seventies/into the eighties) That in itself does not amount to a multi cultural nation, when the one defining culture is overly dominant.

Not in my book anyway. Such stats quoted are found in many cities of international status, that term themselves cosmopolitan due to diverse birth places, racial and religious composition.
I read what you said and pointed out the error. I'm beginning to realise that I shouldn't take what you say as what you mean.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
I read what you said and pointed out the error. I'm beginning to realise that I shouldn't take what you say as what you mean.

No error. Australia is simply not a multi cultural nation, end off. It has a minority of people belonging to a culture/ more of a race , other than the overwhelming host culture, which remains Euro based, predominately Anglo/Celtic .

Next you'll be telling me just because my father was an Icelandic and mother a Cuban, I'm therefore an Iceberg? Just don't get what you don't get.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
No error. Australia is simply not a multi cultural nation, end off. It has a minority of people belonging to a culture/ more of a race , other than the overwhelming host culture, which remains Euro based, predominately Anglo/Celtic .

Next you'll be telling me just because my father was an Icelandic and mother a Cuban, I'm therefore an Iceberg? Just don't get what you don't get.
"We are a nation that has a few different races living within it." - error.

What I do get is the definition of words. You will have greater success in arguing your points of view if you accept definitions - not what you wish something to mean.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
"We are a nation that has a few different races living within it." - error.

What I do get is the definition of words. You will have greater success in arguing your points of view if you accept definitions - not what you wish something to mean.
No I'm right on the money. Australia is over dominant by a ruling race and culture. You probably should be selective of definitions, giving those that provide true meaning not interpretation.

Again to allow it to sink in. Australia is an Anglo/Saxon/Celtic ,dormient nation which is increasingly diversifying due to immigration to include a growing representation of race, but more so birth places.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
No I'm right on the money. Australia is over dominant by a ruling race and culture. You probably should be selective of definitions, giving those that provide true meaning not interpretation.

Again to allow it to sink in. Australia is an Anglo/Saxon/Celtic ,dormient nation which is increasingly diversifying due to immigration to include a growing representation of race, but more so birth places.
Build your own definitions all you like. Facts stay the same though.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Build your own definitions all you like. Facts stay the same though.
The fact remains Australia by definition is Not a multi cultural country. One can use ones head and not be Told what is an obviously untrue definition.

Question. Holiday Home Work.Can you name me any more realistic, examples of multi cultural nations around the world , that truly fit what you are attempting to suggest?

Old 03-25-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
The fact remains Australia by definition is Not a multi cultural country. One can use ones head and not be Told what is an obviously untrue definition.

Question. Holiday Home Work.Can you name me any more realistic, examples of multi cultural nations around the world , that truly fit what you are attempting to suggest?
Australia is a great example as you know. Are you looking for the sociological view that the likes of PNG and many African nations are multi cultural?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand