Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Lol you're just an anti australian snob.
Who lives in Australia...

You can't make this stuff up. A guy who pines over Europe but lives in Perth. It's like a sit-com, so funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post

You can't make this stuff up. A guy who pines over Europe but lives in Perth, it's like a sit-com. It's so funny.
Yeah I didn't even have to write the rest. He just hates it here but lives here I do not understand it. If I hated it that much I would have already packed my bags and left by now. I wouldn't be writing a bunch of bs on forums though.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I don't think it's an outrageous statement to say that, generally, new world small towns tend to be less interesting than those in older parts of the world like Europe. This most definitely applies to my own country, and the U.S. too.

The opposite would be surprising. Most small towns in the new world are of fairly recent establishment and therefore haven't had as much time to develop much in terms of cultural distinctiveness and character.

As well, at one point in the 20th century things became much more globalized and harmonized and some argue that for towns that didn't already have their own cachet already at that point, it became really really difficult for them to hammer one out. In many cases, one might say that they'll probably never have one, even if you give them a lot more time.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think it's an outrageous statement to say that, generally, new world small towns tend to be less interesting than those in older parts of the world like Europe. This most definitely applies to my own country, and the U.S. too.

The opposite would be surprising. Most small towns in the new world are of fairly recent establishment and therefore haven't had as much time to develop much in terms of cultural distinctiveness and character.

As well, at one point in the 20th century things became much more globalized and harmonized and some argue that for towns that didn't already have their own cachet already at that point, it became really really difficult for them to hammer one out. In many cases, one might say that they'll probably never have one, even if you give them a lot more time.
Well you said it in a reasonable manner. I agree that old world towns are generally more aesthetic, though the dribble about being more intellectual was what I had a problem with.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:28 PM

388 posts, read 212,876 times
Any fellow who uses the word "intellectual" to describe oneself or his favoured culture(s) is, in fact, the very opposite of that.

You so-called "intellectuals" are naught more than snobby, latte-sipping, urban elitists. You see, I can spout labelled codswallop just as well as you leftie looneys can, so watch out.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:38 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Lol you're just an anti australian snob. Aesthetics aside, this sh*t about a "more intellectual landscape" is just you talking out of your behind. Every country, including European ones, have "rednecks" or bogans or whatever you want to call them in the country. It is the result of being isolated from the cities and having the same people and same landscape for hundreds and thousands of years without much change, which is why reaction to change is so strong giving off that redneck impression.

As for the different cultures, well, they're different. I can't force you to like or dislike certain cultures. But do tell me how these people are more "interesting" than what you can find here. Apart from the obviously different cultures, intelligence and mindset overall would be similar. And "what it is to be human" - puh-lease. Made me laugh and then throw up.
Well you certainly add to the anti intellectual landscape that unfortunately scars the terrain of this country. But more the case prove the point made in my post entirely. Why do Aussies fret at being labelled anti intellectual? Nobody comes to Australia for the sophistication. There are other advantages that include in general neither of the above.
Bogan culture is somewhat unique to Australia, being so dominant in many parts, but that can be categorised within 'sub groups' as well IMO.
NO snob me. Just a social commentator on what I see around me, with a passion for varied things Australian, and a sound knowledge of both the landscape and history.
No need to give excuses/justifications as some things just are the way they are. I suspect you need to have a sit down and think long and hard into why things are the way they are and not come up with knee jerk reactions to things you don't find to your liking. A lot of the answers I suspect lay buried within your post.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaminaby Angler View Post
Any fellow who uses the word "intellectual" to describe oneself or his favoured culture(s) is, in fact, the very opposite of that.

You so-called "intellectuals" are naught more than snobby, latte-sipping, urban elitists. You see, I can spout labelled codswallop just as well as you leftie looneys can, so watch out.
Before arriving at any ability to spot anything you would first need to remove your head from the very big, dark hole it is buried in lowering your 'ass' from the heavens and taking a deep breath of Gods fresh air. Your senses just may slowly return after a rapid intake of deep breaths resulting in a revelation.
That it is the latte sipping, so termed urban elites and leftie thinkers that are the only thing between maintaining the veneer of a caring and civilized society where a place exists for all and the opposing, narrow, populist slogan ranting herd being led by those with alternative motives usually to empower themselves by means of the ignorance and willingness to follow of so mentioned herd.
For the record, I don't recall labelling myself an intellectual. What I do appreciate though is being around people of a certain intellectual vigour that I can learn from and be challenged.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post

You can't make this stuff up. A guy who pines over Europe but lives in Perth. It's like a sit-com, so funny.

No matter how hard I attempt to allow you a 'makeover' it falls on deaf ears. How is the Sydney vibrancy lark going? More a sad Greek Tragedy comes to mind when thoughts of your on line persona comes to mind, so glad to provide you with some light comic relief.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah I didn't even have to write the rest. He just hates it here but lives here I do not understand it. If I hated it that much I would have already packed my bags and left by now. I wouldn't be writing a bunch of bs on forums though.
A perfect example of all too many Aussies inability to debate. What I would suggest is to attempt to articulate just a little bit into what exactly is bs, besides the above remark obviously then we can discuss as adults without the feeling I'm reading the writing of a petulant seven year old with poor social skills and poor parental upbringing.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A perfect example of all too many Aussies inability to debate. What I would suggest is to attempt to articulate just a little bit into what exactly is bs, besides the above remark obviously then we can discuss as adults without the feeling I'm reading the writing of a petulant seven year old with poor social skills and poor parental upbringing.
You want to debate yet you're the first one out here throwing snide remarks and insults, like somehow suggesting I was brought up poorly because I think you're an idiot. Well, Mr, I have 2 degrees in the scientific field and many friends, which suggests that I have more than 2 brain cells to rub together and at least a shred of social skills.

Referring to your other post, I can actually take constructive criticism like the majority of people but when some buffoon does literally nothing but berate the country he lives in, then there's a problem. What, do you think your ramblings are suddenly going to change the course of the country or change people's minds about it? Do you expect the average citizen of a country that you're constantly criticizing is just going to agree with you every time because people falsely equate criticism with being intelligent? Each one of your posts has to include some sort of negative comment about Australia, that's what is sad. This goes beyond debate and playing the devil's advocate, you genuinely dislike it here but you won't leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand