Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times

Advertisements

I hold an American Passport but am a resident of Spain. I met my SO, who is Australian, in Spain, and she came back to Brisbane in the end of January, but will return to Spain at the end of 2019. Currently, I'm in Australia for 87 days. I will be returning to Spain in the end of May. As we don't want to go 7 months without seeing each other, and I am the more geographically flexible one, the most reasonable option would be for me to come back for another trip here later in the year. I have read semi vague/ conflicting information about the time limit allowed in Australia per year on the ETA visa. Some sources I've read say 90 days per year, but on the terms of the visa it says 90 days per visit, multiple visits allowed. In fact, under the home affairs visa page for the ETA visa it says Visit Australia as often as you wish in a 12-month period. Stay up to 3 months each time you enter Australia.

I just want to clarify: Would I be allowed to take another lengthy trip here later in the year? Not that this is my plan (I'm ready for summer in Spain ) but technically, could I fly to NZ for a weekend and re-start the 90 day period? At what point will border security give me a hard time for spending so much time here on just a tourist visa?

Last edited by wikiwikirunner; 05-01-2019 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 08:30 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
In fact, under the home affairs visa page for the ETA visa it says Visit Australia as often as you wish in a 12-month period. Stay up to 3 months each time you enter Australia.
Which is the only opinion that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I just want to clarify: Would I be allowed to take another lengthy trip here later in the year? Not that this is my plan (I'm ready for summer in Spain ) but technically, could I fly to NZ for a weekend and re-start the 90 day period? At what point will border security give me a hard time for spending so much time here on just a tourist visa?
Yes you can do that in theory. Personally, if you make a habit of it, I'd be more worried about the ATO wanting their pound of flesh than Border Force grilling you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand