Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:13 AM

468 posts, read 615,586 times

Advertisements

How long do you envision the restrictions will last until in Australia? Will it be relaxed in certain places first, then other places (states or cities) will slowly follow that trend? Given that South Australia has no new recorded cases for the last few days, I'd say they are managing it remarkably well. The real challenge lies within Sydney and Melbourne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 03:03 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
I think any relaxation will be staged and geographical. Based on how we're tracking, it would seem that next month some restrictions will be lifted. A second wave, but the whole point of these severe lockdowns was to allow the health system to prepare itself. Self evidently, we have one of the best testing regimes in the world and we don't have the runaway growth that many parts of the world have experienced, so if a cautious reopening is going to happen, Australia has to be one of the best equipped countries in the world to try.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:06 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
How long do you envision the restrictions will last until in Australia? Will it be relaxed in certain places first, then other places (states or cities) will slowly follow that trend? Given that South Australia has no new recorded cases for the last few days, I'd say they are managing it remarkably well. The real challenge lies within Sydney and Melbourne.
From what I've gathered, the restrictions are in place until May 11.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:14 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
From what I've gathered, the restrictions are in place until May 11.
The Prime Minister will meet with all of the respective State Premiers on this date, from what I read.
There will be recommendations, and then each state will decide what things can be lifted etc.
Hopefully there will be a continued easing of all these restrictions, as we finally get back to normality.
On the OP, things are going really well in states like SA and WA.
This should mean that the virus can be controlled, and only appear in small clusters that can be readily contained.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:53 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The Prime Minister will meet with all of the respective State Premiers on this date, from what I read.
There will be recommendations, and then each state will decide what things can be lifted etc.
Hopefully there will be a continued easing of all these restrictions, as we finally get back to normality.
On the OP, things are going really well in states like SA and WA.
This should mean that the virus can be controlled, and only appear in small clusters that can be readily contained.
I think it's been pushed forward to the 8th.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:22 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Yes, I think we will see another out break. Manitoba Canada started opening up a few things yesterday. People are already acting like this is over, despite the fact they are still finding new cases here almost daily. Our numbers are low, but this virus is still very much out there. This was supposed to be a slow reopening but people were out and about in full force today. Specially with the weather getting better, I suspect we will see an increase in cases ove the next couple of weeks.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:21 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
I've admired how Australia has handled this corona virus pandemic. The curve has been flattened, cases reduced to a minimum, and reopening to be a slow thoughtful process.

We, very seriously impacted here in the States, are now beginning to reopen fast. But it's Like turning on a light switch when some people think: poof, the virus is gone. So we have lot of worries. We have not handled this well.

I hope Australia continues to be successful.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:30 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
The 3 stages of lockdown easement have been released.

The first stage includes: still working from home, but gatherings of 5-10 are now allowed, restaurants and cafes are to open with social distancing, libraries and community centres will reopen, and local and regional travel within the state/territory will be allowed.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:51 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Best news in NSW! All public schools to be back full-time from next Monday. Many private schools are already back. Such a relief for working families. And for grandmothers like me. My biggest challenge was the task of redesigning the animal groupings of Perth zoo with the six year old. Followed by helping the five year old do his news online when he was too intimidated to talk.

Other great news for me was that DH finally has some live sport to watch on tv, a golf tournament from Florida. I never thought I would rejoice about something like that but the alternative (Sky News) was too awful to even think about.

Now we need to get the state borders open and life will start feeling normal.

Yes there will probably be more cases but unless there is a vaccine soon, as was said, we cannot hide under that doona for years on end.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:45 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
It does look as if it will be quite sometime before WA lifts its border restrictions. Probably best under the circumstances, although expect it to be likely lifted, come Spring, in order to boost the tourist industry, unless a second weave has created mayhem.
I think it worth the risk WA opening up to the next stage with such low disease rates. It's not a matter of hiding under the doonas for years, some jurisdictions across the world have clearly opened too soon. It is a matter of when reasonably safe to do so.
A second major outbreak will likely prove extremely costly, unless of course the policy will change to those expiring as colleterial damage worth bearing on a cosy analysis basis.
Interesting the different prices placed on a life in USA compared to Australia. Here in Australia it is something akin to half the value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand