Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 02:00 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Sold a dream no doubt. With the time and energy and money spent it is not easy to return just like that. Many do though. I've crossed paths with a few from The Sub Continent over the years that have returned. No different from elsewhere. My Italian server tonight from a restaurant we dine in regularly told me she and her husband are returning after eight years to Italy. Here too expensive. Too far from family. Too costly child care. Plus miss the Italian ambiance even under these difficult situations. They return early May.
SIL works with a lot of Indians in the finance field. He has asked some of them the same and they stress the value of the relative lack of corruption and better opportunities for their daughters.

Yes, for Italians, whose culture I know very well, the breaker would be the absence of the grandparents. Very often they take on the whole role of childcare of grandchildren and find it difficult to refuse the task. It is also very common for property to be given to kids, partly to avoid inheritance tax and partly as it is part of the enmeshed culture. Italians who have their parents here usually stay, not that many have come for a long time. But I understand their feeling, I would certainly prefer to live in Turin than Perth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 09:38 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
SIL works with a lot of Indians in the finance field. He has asked some of them the same and they stress the value of the relative lack of corruption and better opportunities for their daughters.

Yes, for Italians, whose culture I know very well, the breaker would be the absence of the grandparents. Very often they take on the whole role of childcare of grandchildren and find it difficult to refuse the task. It is also very common for property to be given to kids, partly to avoid inheritance tax and partly as it is part of the enmeshed culture. Italians who have their parents here usually stay, not that many have come for a long time. But I understand their feeling, I would certainly prefer to live in Turin than Perth.
Perth must be taxing for many Italians, indeed Australia in general, for more outgoing cultures , that enjoy a more vivid outdoor culture and especially communication. With Italians these days, having some of the least number of children in the world, probably child care not the deciding factor it once most likely was.
Australia's focus on material ownership and money and individuality and work culture , I'd say be more relevant factors these days. As well as distance and potential loneliness.

As for Sub Continentals, I note those that do stay, very often sponsor family members and maintain strong links in that way, not having a lot to do with the host culture. I guess much as the Italians did back in the day, when they copped a lot of flak . Far more than today's migrants, as diversity is not aired as a rule in such derogatory terms as in the past.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Perth must be taxing for many Italians, indeed Australia in general, for more outgoing cultures , that enjoy a more vivid outdoor culture and especially communication. With Italians these days, having some of the least number of children in the world, probably child care not the deciding factor it once most likely was.
Australia's focus on material ownership and money and individuality and work culture , I'd say be more relevant factors these days. As well as distance and potential loneliness.

As for Sub Continentals, I note those that do stay, very often sponsor family members and maintain strong links in that way, not having a lot to do with the host culture. I guess much as the Italians did back in the day, when they copped a lot of flak . Far more than today's migrants, as diversity is not aired as a rule in such derogatory terms as in the past.
All the Italians I have known are just as focused on money and materialism as Aussies, if not more. But I imagine they find the current habit here of everyone getting up at about 5 30 and going to bed at 9 00 quite challenging. Our young Brisbane friends feed the kids dinner at 4 30 , get them to bed at 6 30 and they wake before 5am. Even I find that baffling!

Old 04-01-2021, 04:59 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,951,905 times
^QLD needs to adopt DST already, that probably explains those weird times.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
All the Italians I have known are just as focused on money and materialism as Aussies, if not more. But I imagine they find the current habit here of everyone getting up at about 5 30 and going to bed at 9 00 quite challenging. Our young Brisbane friends feed the kids dinner at 4 30 , get them to bed at 6 30 and they wake before 5am. Even I find that baffling!
Italians appreciate looking good. They like to display flair and chic. Appearance/aesthetics tend to be important. Less so in Australia where different things tend to play out in material stakes to the neglect of much else. I suspect the cost of raising children has greatly impacted on their desirability. So yes, but I find anyway more desire for connection and communication being an essential ingredient to Italian well being . A more individual approach more in favour with Australians.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
^QLD needs to adopt DST already, that probably explains those weird times.
But they overwhelmingly do not want to. They say it is the heat. Which I accept, it was so good to get home last weekend to cooler nights.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Italians appreciate looking good. They like to display flair and chic. Appearance/aesthetics tend to be important. Less so in Australia where different things tend to play out in material stakes to the neglect of much else. I suspect the cost of raising children has greatly impacted on their desirability. So yes, but I find anyway more desire for connection and communication being an essential ingredient to Italian well being . A more individual approach more in favour with Australians.
Italy, especially in the south, is one of the poorer wealthy countries. Connections and corruption are rife. Looking good is important because getting a job and other important things are often dependent on who you know. Young people remain at home into their thirties partly because they find it hard financially to survive without parental help. Thus the enmeshed culture, which is found in most of the world other than in the wealthiest western countries.

Fewer children is partly a financial decision but also a decision made by Italian women who get to little support from their partners in household and child raising, both of which are still widely regarded as women’s work.

But you know, communication has many forms. I would chat with my mother once a week for up to an hour. My Italian MIL would favour a quick daily call of a couple of minutes. Italians do love their mobile phones and social media.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Italy, especially in the south, is one of the poorer wealthy countries. Connections and corruption are rife. Looking good is important because getting a job and other important things are often dependent on who you know. Young people remain at home into their thirties partly because they find it hard financially to survive without parental help. Thus the enmeshed culture, which is found in most of the world other than in the wealthiest western countries.

Fewer children is partly a financial decision but also a decision made by Italian women who get to little support from their partners in household and child raising, both of which are still widely regarded as women’s work.

But you know, communication has many forms. I would chat with my mother once a week for up to an hour. My Italian MIL would favour a quick daily call of a couple of minutes. Italians do love their mobile phones and social media.
Ascetics is quite a European thing. Less so in Australia, though over recent times more effort is being made. A shame planning is so poor here with regards to a street environment. Of a personal nature, I note not so common to see people in bare feet anymore away from beach type environments. Rather common and extraordinary to witness for European sensitivities in shops and main streets and the like when more a regular occurrence. Still lacking the flair in dress compared to Europeans in general. I think especially with men, the choice is simply not there. But Europeans can overdo it.

I think looking good is far more than job related. It is identity. I recall how many young Italians were critical of the sloppy nature of British dress in the day. (very often stated) French not too dissimilar. It has to be the right type of jeans and so on.

I think you'll find 'young' people over thirty in Australia increasing following Italians and remaining at home until late. The outrageous cost of a roof over one's head has seen to that.

Communication does come in many forms. Although Italians like to 'engage in talk' and become animated to a degree few Anglo's would , I know what is being spoken can indeed be somewhat mundane and not as interesting as one may suppose considering the emotional energy used. I suspect most all the world is sadly locked into their mobiles now and social media which has resulted IMO a decline in knowledge of factual information. (or being able to articulate it)

Old 04-02-2021, 07:05 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,471 times
Quote:
That is bizarre!

Old 04-02-2021, 07:13 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,471 times
Quote:
But they overwhelmingly do not want to. They say it is the heat. Which I accept, it was so good to get home last weekend to cooler nights.
Not correct. It is a significant majority that want DLS. However that majority is concentrated around the SE of the State.

The Anna Bligh Labor government acknowledged that demand but declined another proposed trial because regional populations were strongly opposed.

We will get there eventually hopefully. Daybreak just after 4am in summer is a little annoying when the birds are vocal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand